PDA

View Full Version : Upload Speed

bk T
19-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Why our (NZ) upload speed is slow compare to download speed?

This is what I got:

Download: 12.31 Mbps (sometimes higher - 14.5 Mbps)

Upload: 0.96 Mbps

Aren't we supposed to get full speed for UP/DOWN?

Should I talk to my ISP (Telecom) or that's the way it is in NZ?

What upload spped do you guys get?

Terry Porritt
19-02-2013, 10:12 PM
ADSL......Asymmetric digital subscriber line

sahilcc7
19-02-2013, 10:41 PM
.98mbps for me. Always <1mbps upload.

The Error Guy
20-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Terry said it right, ADSL was designed to give a high performance download, since the downstream bandwidth is the most heavily utilised. MOST users don't use bandwidth heavy applications on the upstream. Of course now this is changing, with alll sorts of sites commonly sharing large data fils both the UP and DOWN links need high bandwith. You'll notice though, even with fibre, the up speed is always less than the down. Partly technical and partly for the above reason :)

DSL will allow a symetrical connection, but of course with reduced speeds. We got 2/2mbps at our school of ~400 Yes, it was slow ;)

Alex B
20-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Get 2Mbit my self, on Slingshots gear where they use Anex M.

psycik
20-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Unless you can get telstra/saturn/clear/vodafone (whatever their name is this week) inhome cable is VDSL/UFB the ADSL upload speeds are pants.

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm getting a regular 4-6mbps *upload* speed on mine, but that's just a limit of the local exchange coz it's been like that with a couple of ISPs.

Still that's a HUGE jump from the 1mbps. Images and videos upload INSANELY fast by comparison, I love it! So glad I went to VDSL2!

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 09:42 AM
What they said. It's designed that way intentionally based on typical usage patterns back when adsl was invented. Most internet traffic even now is asymmetric but we are using more upstream bsndwidth than we used to.

Jealous of the VDSL but I suppose fibre will eventually come my way.

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Mate VDSL2 is surprisingly cheap! Can you get it in your area? I'm a *huge* fan of it...

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 10:54 AM
What ISP is yours with? I'm kinda tied to using xtra through work and they don't offer it. I'd need a good deal to entice me away from my current one

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Actually never mind, a bit of rough research suggests VDSL would be slower downstream than ADSL2+ for me.My sync speed is 16Mb indicating an approximate distance of 2km to the cabinet. Depending on cable type I'd need to be under 900 - 1300 M to be worth the switch.

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Double post

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 11:34 AM
My sync on ADSL2+ was 9mbps. Changed to VDSL2 and I now get just over 20mbps. Upload was 1mbps, now it syncs at 9-ish but only actually attains 4-6mbps. I'm roughly 3KM away as far as I'm aware the way the cable runs.

http://www.2talk.co.nz/access/ <-- I'm on the VDSL2 300GB plan! :)

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 11:47 AM
That doesn't add up. Your adsl speeds were too low. When you look at the graphs adsl2+ and vdsl2 get the same sync speeds from 1.6km upwards. 20mb sync is right around where the two tecnologies meet.Either something was changed when you switched or the old connection was never working right.

Alex B
20-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Possible he had crappy internal wiring and now has a master splitter. Telecom and due to offer VDSL pretty soon.

the_bogan
20-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Is Telstraclears cable network the same as ADSL? Because upload rates were generally the same as I'm getting on their ADSL network now. The download speed is a fair bit slower though.

Alex B
20-02-2013, 02:00 PM
No it's not.

the_bogan
20-02-2013, 02:33 PM
No it's not.

Just checking. the 2nd post mentioned the cause being ADSL.

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Nope, had custom house wiring done the same month we moved in, it hasn't changed, no master splitter coz we've stayed naked the whole time. I'm actually only 300m from the cabinet, but the cables run to the end of another road, back up to almost being at the cabinet, then down the road to me. I may not be that far as far as the cable runs, but I'm just letting you know what my speeds were, vs what they are now.
If you're getting faster DSL speeds, I'd presume you're closer, so would still get faster downloads, but you'd DEFINITELY get faster upload speeds. After all, upload is what we're discussing right?

dugimodo
20-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes and no. I don't want to reduce my download speeds but more upload would be nice.What I was getting at with your connection though that I maybe didn't make clear was a line that connects at 9 Mbps on ADSL2+ should also get 9 Mbps on VDSL2 because that's beyond the range where VDSL is better than ADSL. Also if you get 20 now you should have got18-20 before. 18mbps is where the two technologies meet, by the time VDSL gets to 30 @ around 1.3 km ADSL is left in the dust at only 20.Like I said, for the same line going from 9 to 20 doesn't add up. Still maybe the graphs I'm looking at are wrong. Incidentally the one on my wall for ADSL2 does agree that 3km = 9Mbps approx but your VDSL speed indicates a distance of about 1.6km weird.

Alex B
20-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Just checking. the 2nd post mentioned the cause being ADSL.

I see, the OP is mistaken in that it is an NZ issue, it's the technology being used (ADSL being the most common)

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Incidentally the one on my wall for ADSL2 does agree that 3km = 9Mbps approx but your VDSL speed indicates a distance of about 1.6km weird.

Welcome to my world :-/

The Error Guy
20-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Welcome to my world :-/

Yeah. I've been listening to chills issues with various ISP's and the VDSL/ADSL issues. He's no fool and I seem to remember he had a telecoms engineer mate who looked at his internal wiring which was good (indicating a fault between the demark and DSLAM) I have been subject to similar issues where a fault would indicate one problem, yet the solution wasn't in line with the fault or the remedy.

I'd say he's had a right royal dicking by various ISP's for a while, glad to hear it's finally sorted!

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah checked the error rates on the DSL line as part of my TDR complaint with Orcon. No line errors at all. Induced interference on the line through the use of magnets, and it skyrocketted.

Normal use though, no errors. My last issues appear to have been caused further upstream than the DSLAM unfortuantely (Fortunately? As it's now no longer an issue seeing as Ive ditched Orcon)...