PDA

View Full Version : Wireless antenna distance/setup

jezza
19-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi
Im looking at setting up a long distance wifi.
I live in a flat on friends property which is approx 50-60m from the wireless antenna (2.4ghz...7dbi)

I get a weak signal and only pick up a connecetion in one spot of the flat.

Is there a way that I can get a stronger connection to cover my whole house. The antenna is as close as I can put it at friends house.

Without putting a antenna outside is there a way I can strengthen my signal?

KarameaDave
19-02-2013, 12:43 PM
You could fashion a directional reflector for the antenna from a 'pringles can' or metal foil and cardboard for the antenna.
But this may reduce the signal at friends house, otherwise an ethernet cable to the sleepout and a repeater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Roscoe
19-02-2013, 12:51 PM
One thing that does make a difference is the orientation of the sending and receiving aerials. They should both be the same. For example, if the transmitting aerial is at 45 degrees then the receiving aerial should also be 45 degrees. Ideally, both should be vertical, but importantly, both should be set up the same for maximum performance.

An example of that is to compare the TV aerials in Auckland with the TV aerials in the Waikato. In Auckland, TV1 transmits on channel 2 and in the Waikato TV1 transmits on channel 3. To minimise interference between the two, Auckland's TV transmissions are horizontal and Waikato's TV transmission are vertical, so you will notice that the TV receiving aerials are set up the same way. That does not mean that a horizontal aerial with not receive a vertical transmission. It will, but not as well.

Hopefully that helps.

zqwerty
19-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I haven't tried this but may be good:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

wratterus
19-02-2013, 01:15 PM
At that range you're never going to get a good quality link to a laptop, as both the devices need to be able to talk to the other - you can have a massive antenna at the house, but your laptop needs to be able to send the signal back.

Is putting an external antenna out of the question?

What I would do is have a chat with the guys who own the place and talk about two of these (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/backhaul-point-to-point/ubiquiti-nanostation-loco-m5-802.11n/a-200mw-outdoor-ap/bridge.html).

If setup correctly, a pair of these acts like a long Ethernet cable, and over that distance speeds are the same as an Ethernet cable. You'd either need to setup another wireless router in the flat, or you could plug your laptop directly into the PoE from the radio.

A high gain antenna doesn't increase signal strength, all it does is change the 'shape' of the wireless signal. Imagine the signal from a 3dbi antenna looking a bit like a doughnut, and a 7dbi looks more like a pancake. So you can potentially lose vertical signal close to the antenna using a high gain antenna. 7dbi isn't a lot though, and you won't have that kind of issue unless it's in a two story house and you're going over 10 - 12dbi.

dugimodo
19-02-2013, 01:48 PM
You could get a repeater with a high gain aerial and put it where the signal is strongest. Making one of those reflectors Dave suggested is a much cheaper optipn though. To get good coverage over that sort of distance really requires a directional aerial.

At a friends house we just ran a cable out to the room where his son lives. Not the tidiest solution but effective.

Greven
19-02-2013, 01:59 PM
you could invest in wireless powerline adaptors http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=396636

wratterus
22-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Or do none of the above, that's cool too. ;)

Greven
22-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Or do none of the above, that's cool too. ;)
Have you no heart? Intermittent wifi is a terrible punishment - there is always the hope that it will work long enough for you to do whatever you need to do, but it always drops at the least convenient moment possible.

prefect
22-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I bet wireless at that range would drop out lots. Can you run a cable?