PDA

View Full Version : New Monitor

The Error Guy
04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Looking at getting a new monitor for when I shift into uni for my laptop (or desktop if I go that route, but what it's used on is pretty irrelevant I guess) - I'm doing Visual Communication Design and Photography and I have found that having a dual monitor set-up isn't as "dicky" as I'd first imagined. The problem is my current monitor (a 4:3 Dell I picked up for free) isn't very good. Aside from the colour being off, the different aspect ratio makes it inconvenient to use.

I'm not usually one to get bogged down by choice, but when it came to looking at monitors there was just so much variety, and since I'm looking online I can't distinguish what looks better/worse as far as picture goes. The main points I am looking for are as follows:

Widescreen
Nice Rich colour
Good contrast/Dynamic range - OLED might be nice
High pixel density

Any size will do, my laptop is 17" but I'd probably keep the screen size 27" or below. If you know something bigger that's nice, let me know but since I'll mostly be quite close to it going too big is just going to be annoying
Price below $250ish, again, if you know something really worth the extra $ note it down. Sometimes it's worth exceeding the budget a bit to get a quality experiance.

I'll probably use it as my main monitor with my laptop shut, or sit my laptop off to one side as a 2ndary display to put briefs/research etc up. Not sure if I'll be using windows 7 or 8 exclusively, probably both but that doesn't matter much I wouldn't think. Mostly used for design/photography and a bit of gaming.

Cheers for narrowing it down, I've seen some fairly good things listed when others have asked for similar advice.

TEG

kingdragonfly
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Sorry you get what you pay for in monitors.

Dell Ultrasharp are very expensive, but worth it.

U2412M 24" 1920 x 1200 with 8MS IPS Panel LED: about $470

The Error Guy
04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm looking for something nice enough, but not a top of the range quality thing. I am only a student and it's not being used for any 'professional' work.

jonovw
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=507/ID=17128/SID=584533377/productdetails.html $180 still dell really nice budget monitor.

The Error Guy
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
That looks nice, I'm hoping I'll catch a steal during waitangi day not-quite-sales sales :p

icow
04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Anything Asus/Viewsonic/Samsung should be fine in that price range. Of you had a bit more money you could get a Korean S-IPS :drool

The Error Guy
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I had one sitting across the room from at 'keale, damn koreans and their korean gear. Just flaunting it to make you jelly!!