PDA

View Full Version : Best backup program?

adslgeek
03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey there,

I have a new 2TB hard drive, and was keen to setup a back program.
(My current hard drive is 300GB)

What I was looking for is a program which will do a full backup, as well as an incremental each month.

(I was thinking it might be an idea for me to backup all my files once a month, and hide the external harddrive in case of burglary)

What recommendations do you guys have?

Cheers!

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Are you wanting to do a whole system image using something like Ghost, or just wanting your actual *files* backed up such as Docs / Pix etc?

pcuser42
03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Windows 7's built-in backup program is good enough. :)

Wiseguys
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Syncback is awesome and it's free: http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

One of it's great features is the ability to specify or exclude file types for individual backup profiles. Lets say your photos are you most precious and irreplaceable files, you can run a separate profile for all .jpg files so they are backed up to a local Google Drive folder and automatically synced to Google's free (up to 5GB) cloud storage platform in case you get burgled.

adslgeek
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I was thinking of one big backup, and then incrementals each month. (and maybe a big backup each 6 months)?

I am on Win XP, so Win 7 maybe won't like me.. also not wanting to have to hand copy over each time.

Wiseguys
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
If you have Win XP Pro, you can also just add another HDD the same size as your main drive (or bigger) and set up Windows controlled / software RAID 1 which will create a perfect mirror image (bootable disc image) of your main drive in real time without the need to remember to backup. This approach protects you from hardware failure of your main drive and can be done without reinstalling the OS etc. so it's quite handy.

To protect against theft / fire etc. you will need to use an removable external drive or cloud storage platform though. Perhaps just setup a backup profile using Syncback and run it once a month to copy stuff to your external drive then hide your external drive back in the attic or something.

wainuitech
03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Any backups you do no matter what program or method Shouldn't have the drive In the same PC. If something happens to that PC, chances are you'll lose the backups as well.

What you want to do is have the backup drive either as an external HDD, or on another computer located someplace else, not in the same room. Ideally in another building, garage, workshop what ever.

As for backup programs, take a look at Active@Disk Image (http://www.disk-image.com/) - works fine with XP.

Take a look back over the last week or so in these forums, theres been a couple of people asking the same sort of questions, and theres several answers, mostly around Active@.

gary67
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
+1 for active@ just works

Alex B
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Shadow Protect Desktop Edition, there is a free trial. It will do exactly what you want.

Pato
04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
I switched to active@ after giving up on Acronis and it is working well. It is not free but worth the cost.

SolMiester
04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Shadow Protect Desktop Edition, there is a free trial. It will do exactly what you want.

This, hands down the best...

wainuitech
04-02-2013, 01:02 PM
This, hands down the best... Actually had shadow protect fail the other day, was using the trial, and it only allowed you to put back half the partitions - not much cop, there was no option to put them all back. And they dont allow you to fully try it before buying it.

SolMiester
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah well, trial licensing, not the best idea....

wainuitech
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The whole Idea of a trial is to make sure a program can be tried, and if suitable then purchased - having features disabled is completely pointless. Most good trial software is fully functioning but time restricted - Personally I tried shadow protect - it backed up sure, but because of the non allowing to do a full recovery it went out the door.

People saying " trust me it works if you buy the full version" is a joke - forget it.

The option I was looking for to put back all partitions simply wasn't there, not grayed out or anything - non existent. Bit hopeless if you have 3 partitions and it can only put back one. :yuck:

Active @ does allow full functions for 21 days - so that way you can actually try it as its meant to be used without restrictions.

SolMiester
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure why you couldn't do all partitions, all the versions I have used do, it needs to in order to create a bootable image? Including hidden., perhaps the install had errors or the shadow writer isn't functions correctly...

Alex B
05-02-2013, 08:19 AM
The whole Idea of a trial is to make sure a program can be tried, and if suitable then purchased - having features disabled is completely pointless. Most good trial software is fully functioning but time restricted - Personally I tried shadow protect - it backed up sure, but because of the non allowing to do a full recovery it went out the door.

People saying " trust me it works if you buy the full version" is a joke - forget it.

The option I was looking for to put back all partitions simply wasn't there, not grayed out or anything - non existent. Bit hopeless if you have 3 partitions and it can only put back one. :yuck:

Active @ does allow full functions for 21 days - so that way you can actually try it as its meant to be used without restrictions.

Did you contact their support?

I did not know about that limitation, but once paid for it works extreamly well.

wainuitech
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
No, didn't contact support, not really that interested in using the program. Only thought I'd try it as Sol had mentioned it a couple of times previously.

One thing I did discover - you cant get the bootable CD till its the paid version. ( Their site says that)

As I mentioned before - limited function trials to me are pointless, cant test all the features.

That's why I'm quite happy with Active@ - fully functional for 21 days, then buy if it suits your needs. I tried it quite a while back, it did everything I wanted it to do ( and more) so brought it. Had tried others and they were either limited someway or didn't do what was required.

Sorry But when spending money on software I'm not going to take anyones word that it works OK on the full version, not unless that person puts in writing they would give me back any money spent if it doesn't ( like that's gonna happen) ;)

That's why I suggest Active @ - the trial is free and fully functional, then if it does what a person wants its upto them if they want to buy it, or try something else.