PDA

View Full Version : What pages are causing large file sizes in Powerpoint?

Chikara
31-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi all,

I've inherited a few PowerPoint presentations at work which I'm updating. I'm editing them in PP 2010 but I think they were originally created in a earlier version of PP.

The PP is around 150 pages, and maybe 1/3rd to half the pages have images on them. The total file size is over 25MB.
My questions is this - is there an easy way to tell what pages, or images, are blowing out the file size? Is there a function somewhere that shows either the file space used by each page, or each image? Without having to check each image individually?
I'd like to try to reduce the total file size by at least 50% if I can, as it's sometimes emailed, or needs to be accessed remotely when on the road.

Thanks!

Slankydudl
31-01-2013, 01:23 AM
It will be any large images. There are many simple and free programs you can get to lower the resolution of the images.... Use it and put the lower res images in and it should make a good difference to the file size.

CYaBro
31-01-2013, 01:28 AM
At 150 pages I'm not surprised that is over 25MB.

Chikara
31-01-2013, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling some of the large image files may be BMP rather than JPG... if the large files are JPG they shouldn't be too large and I don't mind keeping them. So I guess there's no easy way of seeing easily what the culprits are? (EG something similar to the Outlook feature that shows you your largest emails and/or folders, I was hoping the might be a Powerpoint equivalent somewhere showing the largest images or pages...)

Chikara
31-01-2013, 01:37 AM
At 150 pages I'm not surprised that is over 25MB.

Yeah I know..and overtime, I plan to reduce the number pf pages too. But in the short term I just need to update content that's already there...

Slankydudl
31-01-2013, 01:47 AM
The only way to reduce size withought completely altering content is reduce image quality... You can tell which are the largest by just looking and seeing how clear and large the image is.

Paul.Cov
31-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Easiest solution, with zero loss of image quality is to simply zip the whole powerpoint. That will take about 95% of the fat out of any BMP's within it.

AvonBill
02-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Powerpoint (and Word) both have a built in function to compress images.
In PP 2010 click on a picture, the Format Picture Tools ribbon will appear; click on the compress pictures button and chose from there.