PDA

View Full Version : Backup options for SBS2011

25-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Guys

What are some backup options for SBS 2011
At the mo Ive setup the builtin server backup(NTBackup?) to 5x USB hard drives

I'll need to look at something better , with easy options to recover deleted emails

Backup Exec is really becoming to complex for a Small network, Id rather not have to use it (& re-learn on every new release)
We have used BackupAssist, easy to setup & backs up Exch email to PST on the server (making a simple email recovery)

I guess most of the new Server backup programs are Imaging/Bare Metal type backups, any 'real world' issues doing a Server restore by re-imaging the whole system from backups ??

Cheers

Alex B
25-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Stick with BackupExec 2010 if going BackupExec, 2012 is aweful so I'm told.

There is a Shadow Protect SBS edition, shadow protect is usually a pretty good product

. Yes there can be issues restoring a FSMO DC, be very careful.

The other option is to install ESXi on the server and turn the SBS install into a VM, this allows for super easy hardware migration and pretty easy recovery options. Pretty sure you have to have a paid for version of ESXi to get the backup API's, though.

CYaBro
25-01-2013, 02:51 PM
We use ShadowProtect for all our server installs.
However if you want to be able to recover individual emails you also need the Granular Recovery for Exchange, which is an additional cost.

SolMiester
25-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi OP, I have Shadow Protect running on a SBS 2003 server no issues at all, great thing about shadow protect is you get an image for the entire system which can even be booted or mounted as an image.
SBS is the most expensive licence for shadow protect though, however, probably about the same after backup exec licencing......and as Alex has said, DO NOT go to 2012, it is shite.....
You could setup a pst export for nightly backups of e-mail, as restore from exchange requires the entire store to be recovered just to get 1 e-mail.....if you setup pst exports for the shadow protect backup, you would be well sorted...

25-01-2013, 03:43 PM
and as Alex has said, DO NOT go to 2012, it is shite.....

oh, its not just me then. Yes Ive installed 2012 2 SBS systems...never again .
2010 & earlier is a breeze to setup & use.

Only issue with ShadowProtect , BackupAssist & some others, is it wont commit/flush log files (as older versions of Backup Exec would ,2012 had some issues with this) .
I have seen a ShadowProduct install, it seemed to backup several times during the day, just updating the image.

Just looking for Options to give some quotes to the customer.
I'll download a trial of Shadow Protect.

Cheers

Alex B
25-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Correct Shadow Protect does differential backup during the day if you so chose to set them up, with a full image after hours. Or however you chose to set that up really.

CYaBro
25-01-2013, 04:45 PM
SBS is the most expensive licence for shadow protect though, however, probably about the same after backup exec licencing......

Not true, SBS licensing for ShadowProtect is much cheaper than the full Windows Server edition license. About half the cost from memory around $650 +gst while the server version is around $1300+gst.
The great about SHadowProtect is that you buy one license and you can backup the whole system, as an image, no need for addon licenses to be able to back Exchange or SQL etc. like you usually have to with other server backup software.

SolMiester
26-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Not true, SBS licensing for ShadowProtect is much cheaper than the full Windows Server edition license. About half the cost from memory around $650 +gst while the server version is around $1300+gst.
The great about SHadowProtect is that you buy one license and you can backup the whole system, as an image, no need for addon licenses to be able to back Exchange or SQL etc. like you usually have to with other server backup software.

Oh yes, thats right, i couldnt work out why SBS was almost half the price of full server, when it had SQL and Exchange...LOL, I guess my mind swap them itself....SBS $575+GST..

1101-Ill have to check the logs for exchange on the SBS, been using SP for over a year there now...might be another program to use to flush them...