PDA

View Full Version : USB HDD driive letter changed

Tarras
23-01-2013, 08:08 AM
OS = Win 8 64 bit

My external drive letter has been changed from F to G and I can't figure out how to change it back again.

I think the change probably occurred when I connected a USB memory stick and later disconnected it - it's drive letter was G. I have done this many times before and the USB drive letter did not change.

This may not appear to be a big issue but none of the shortcuts relating to drive F work and this means that my backups don't work.

I looked in Device Manager but could find no way to change the drive letter back.

I have tried removing the drive using "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" then physically disconnecting the USB cable and restarting the computer. When the computer restarted I reconnected the USB cable but the drive letter was still G.

What can I try next? I would also like to ensure it does not happen again.

Tarras

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2013, 08:13 AM
From the main screen if you start typing "Disk Management", you can go in there. Select the drive, right-click on it and go to Change drive letter.

:)

Tarras
23-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your help - it worked a treat.

On checking I find the same tool was available on XP and I never had a need to use it

Regards

Tarras

linw
23-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Another tip. Set the drive letter to, say, U:, thus stopping the problem from recurring.