PDA

View Full Version : Capturing VHS -> DVD

Tony
22-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I've been transcribing some family VHS tapes to the PC for storage on DVD. It has all been going well, with the bonus of being able to remove various wobbly bits and add titles etc.

However when I play back the capture footage, there is a smeary area at the bottom of the frame that presumably is the part of the broadcast signal that is normally not seen that contains teletext, captions etc. Is there any way to suppress this?

I've attached a screenshot. The bit I'm talking about is the small strip at the bottom of the image.

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2013, 08:23 AM
How did you record from VCR?? A capture card or did you use something like a video camera??

Paul.Cov
22-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I've always interpretted it as tracking issues, and seems to be almost universal on the edge of the VHS picture.

My answer to it is to use an editting / encoding program that masks the last 5 lines with a black overlay (just make the overlay in Paint to the dimensions you need), or use the crop/trim function, depending on the software you have available.

Tony
22-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm using a capture device that connects via usb.

Paul, I'm sure you are right. I'm using Cyberlink Power Director (came with the hardware) and Windows Live Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be that sort of masking facility with either of those, unless I haven't found it yet.

pcuser42
22-01-2013, 09:23 AM
The VHS tapes I've captured has this "smear" as well...

Tony
22-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, thanks to Paul, I think I have found a crop function in Power Director, so I'm going to do a recapture and see what happens.

kingdragonfly
22-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I believe you are experiencing "overscan", part of an signal that's not suppose to be viewable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Since VHS-to-DVD is pretty cheap, I'd suggest trying a different product.

Tony
22-01-2013, 12:50 PM
I believe you are experiencing "overscan", part of an signal that's not suppose to be viewable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Since VHS-to-DVD is pretty cheap, I'd suggest trying a different product.Thanks for that. You are probably right. For the small number of videos I am trying to transcribe, doing Paul.Cov's crop suggestion is probably going to be the easiest/most cost effective.