PDA

View Full Version : New Cameras

The Error Guy
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Just became the proud owner of a Mudan TLR (a little about it here http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mudan) My serial number puts it's manufacture date in '84. Seems to be a good little runner (everything works + shutter appears to be "rather" acturate) so I'm very happy. Most TLR's (Rollies, Holga etc) are + $100 (USD) with most Rollies being far past $400 USD) So it was a decent price at $70 NZD. I'll clean it up, a coat of paint and eventually new faux leathers. Don't think I'll ever sell it but if I did I could probably get some $250 for it. Certainly a lovely machine that's bound to bankrupt me since I'll just be bulk loading film and buying chemicals like crazy :p

I have also been loaned a very nice Tokina 11-16 IF Wide angle lens, apparently the sharpest Wide lense available. Not sure on the last detail but it's certainly sharp. A very nice piece of equipment.

I'm off to Haerbin tomorrow, -20 is the average. Low of -45, high of -16. Bloody cold, camera batteries die real easily due to temperatures and at that temp you'd probably have to adjust your exposure times for film too.

Should be fun!

R2x1
12-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Is it coal or gas fired?

kenj
12-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Interesting.. I have owned both a Rolleiflex and a Rolliecord. Both beautiful TLR's, very sharp lenses. As expected the 'Flex with the Planar f2.8 lens was a tad sharper than the 'Cord with the Schneider Kreuznach. Did the odd wedding with the Cord. Lots of fun those days. Both were much nicer than the Mamiya 6x7 I had later.

Ken

Ken

The Error Guy
12-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Powered by a sense of nostalgia and adventure, runs fine on both so you could say it's multigrade :)

I'd never heard of the Mudan range so I was quite please by the price in comparison to most medium format TLR's. Apparently it takes some beautiful crisp shots, I saw some samples in a store that were really nice. Depth of field is quite fine and easy to control. I especially like the view finder on these. Esp when compared to the lens enlarger types found on the box brownies!

I'm also going to try running some 35mm film through it (via a mod I found on flickr, just uses some biro's to turn the 35mm film canister) which would be interesting. Also looking at making a roller to put the 35 film on an angle to get a tilt shift effect. That will probably not work out at all well :rolleyes:

R2x1
12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Multigrade cameras are the finest kind. It is very reminiscent of the Seagull range that produced images of quite astounding quality for the price. Pity that the wet process is so rare as to be verging on fiscal irresponsibility now. If the Wuban is at all like the Seagull, 35 mm would be unable to capture the detail the lens can deliver to the bigger format.

Nomad
12-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I am over all the "equipment" now. Nice to have I guess but it'll just take up too much room here and they all get used less. I had a look at the TLR's they are not that smallesh or light ... my next is prob a Hasselblad 500C/M. Bit more flexible. I think also the TLR with interchangeable lenses are bit more bulkier too. My Nikon 2004 D70 is going strong still, I fixed reattached the memory card ribbon cable ... the occasional error is now gone. Should not have gotten the used D2h. Hardly use it and not worth much now, I notice that the non trendy stuff in NZ on the auction sites are less than fleabay in the states ... I cancelled a packet of 4x5 Velvia 50 b/c they kept delaying it anyway got other film still, and not got my large format rig yet ...... Prob why I don't have a tablet or eBook reader yet. I just see the end result and if it can be optional .. No more dSLRs until at least one of my Nikon digi breaks down.

The Error Guy
13-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm staying with my D3100 for the time being too, it does all that I could need for pretty much everything. Only problem is the AF servo is in the lens so some lenses don't AF, not too much of a problem but it's a pain on some low focal length lenses with deep DoF.

The only thing that would be + for an upgrade are maybe some extra features, more importantly better sensor performance, AE bracketing, better colour, better metering ect. Despite that, at this stage I cannot justify a $1000 + investment on something that performs fine. I'm looking at buying some really good quality ex film lenses that have of course crashed in price and buying adapter rings to use on my dSLR. In the long run my SLR, dSLR and TLR are enough to keep me broke and happy for a long time! Only thing is that the letters a wearing off the DSLR's buttons... 50c part from ebay. Done - good as new.

Film is a funny market, you have these hipster lomographers, pros and amateurs all buying film, it means the market can be strangely priced in both countries with plenty of cowboys as well as really genuine and professional retailers. Still, it's good fun... the magic hasnt worn off yet!

Nomad
13-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Most of my Nikon lenses are NOT AF-S so I need something more advanced but there are some manual focus gems out there like the Steve McCurry 105mm f/2.5.

Nomad
13-01-2013, 08:11 PM
But ... online boy there are many fanboys out there, probably well paid or with big credit card debts.

kenj
14-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Most of my Nikon lenses are NOT AF-S so I need something more advanced but there are some manual focus gems out there like the Steve McCurry 105mm f/2.5.

His shot of the Afghan girl is pretty memorable. The eyes...look at the eyes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Ken