PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2010 autocorrect

bk T
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
How do I turn off auto correct in Exce 2010? It's annoying, sometimes.

I went to Files -> Options -> Advance - Untick the box beside 'Enable AutoComplete for cell values'. -> OK
But it still forces what it 'thinks' it's correct! Is there a way to by-pass it?

For example, when I key in "Teh" (yes, it's TEH), Excell is trying to be smart and changes it to "The". Have been trying several times but just couldn't manage it.

Surely there's a way to do it.

Can someone help?

Cheers

bevy121
11-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Is there a

Files -> Options -> Proofing -> AutoCorrect Options button ?

uncheck the option called "Replace text as you type"

Click OK - OK

bk T
11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks, bevy121. There is.

Is there a way to by-pass it temporarily? - a short-cut key or something like that?

FoxyMX
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Is there a way to by-pass it temporarily? - a short-cut key or something like that?

Don't know if it is like Word or not but backspacing normally cancels auto-corrections as you type. If you want to cancel it permanently find its entry in the auto-correct list and replace the "the" with "teh".

bk T
11-01-2013, 02:37 PM
No, it is unlike Word, backspace cancels the auto correction. Excel doesn't.

bevy121
11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
what about ctr/x while in the cell - does that cancel the auto correct in the cell you are in?
Or try typing a space then the ctr/x (example - type "T" "e" "h" "space" - ctr/x to cancel autocorrect
(as long as a space on the end of the word doesn't matter...)

worked in earlier versions, don't know about this one

the_bogan
11-01-2013, 09:37 PM
If it's just teh you're wanting kept as is, then in the autocorrect options, search for teh in the replace menu, and delete that entry.

bk T
11-01-2013, 10:16 PM
what about ctr/x while in the cell - does that cancel the auto correct in the cell you are in?
Or try typing a space then the ctr/x (example - type "T" "e" "h" "space" - ctr/x to cancel autocorrect
(as long as a space on the end of the word doesn't matter...)

worked in earlier versions, don't know about this one

No. it changes as soon as space is pressed.