PDA

View Full Version : new modem wireless not working on wireless and what encription should I use

petemit
11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi I have just purchased a new Asus n12u router modem which works well hardwired but i cant get the wireless to work

My comp shows the wireless conection but when I click on it to conect it says it is out of range ( its 3 feet away) and there for I cant connect to put password in i have tried the repair function but that didnt work either

When I set the wireless up I chose shared key and put a password in
there are several other options and I am not sure which is best to use and if using another option would fix the above problem or if any of the others would give us better protection
The wireless is used for home with ipads and phones being used on it as well as a couple of laptops from time to time

The other options are
WPA personal
WPA2 personal
WPA auto personal
WPA enterprise
WPA2 enterprise
Radius with 802.1x

Many thanks
Peter

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Try it without encryption first, and also try using a different WiFi SSID (Name) to what you've previously used, just to make sure that Windows isn't getting itself in a tiffy.

Once you've confirmed that's working, re-enable encryption, and WPA2-Personal is the strongest.

petemit
11-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks chilling silence
I will try when I get home
Peter

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
How many wireless devices are there altogether?? I would also update the firmware to 1.0.4.1 if this isnt on it already. It fixes a lot of bugs

petemit
11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Usually only 1 or 2 computers and maybe an ipad or a couple of phone at one time there are 3 of us in house so not much traffic really
will update firmware first and see if that helps

thanks
peter

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Connect a cable to update it in case it stuffs up somewhere. Just to be safe. Dont use wireless to update it. Once you update it send me a PM. I could configure it from here if you like using teamviewer. I take it you've entered the username and password in for your ISP (since you're here). You need both to connect to the internet

petemit
11-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks speedy I am at work and comp is at home I will use cable to update firmware the modem is connected to the net as I set that up this morning only works on cable not on wireless will play with it tonight and see if I can get it working
cheers
peter

jonovw
11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
i found that wpa personal worked the best with all my devices. I had a couple of devices (Xbox 360 and old laptop) that didn't work with wpa2. wpa is about as secure as wpa2 as well. If wpa2 works fine, just use that.

petemit
11-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi chilling silence
I have updated the firmware to the latest version and have wireless working with encription will get everyone to use wireless for a couple of minutes then put encription on and see how we go
This is the log presumably its the one you wanted its from the new modem would love to know your thoughts on
Cheers
peter

Update Counter : 37
Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 275363
Lan Rx : 167899
ADSL Tx : 220
ADSL Rx : 218
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 12.0
SNR Down : 21.0
Line Attenuation Up : 4.0
Line Attenuation Down : 4.5
Data Rate Up : 736
Data Rate Down : 7616

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Are you still on ADSL1?? On mine modulation is ASDL2+. Click on admin / dsl setting. Is it on multiple mode?? Try changing annex to ther bottom option Annex A/I/J/L/M . Did you reboot the modem, after you updated the firmware?