PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension 4700 LAN driver

bk T
10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Reinstalled (clean install) XP Home SP3 to this old Dell PC, downloaded and installed all necessary device drivers, everything works fine other than the LAN which takes a long time - about 2 minutes (after Windows started) to initialise. It's an onboard ethernet. Windows fully updated.

Something is not quite right but couldn't figure out what's it delaying the initialisation of the NIC driver.

Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Look in event viewer see what it says. Windows key+R. Type in eventvwr,msc. Does the lan entry in device manager say it's working, or something else? Did you install the chipset drivers as well? If you downloaded them?

bk T
11-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I have an red item, event id: 7023, source; service control manager.

I've installled all drivers from Dell including the chipset. Device Manager all clean with Network Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. The LAN is working OK but it takes a long, long time to initialise when the machine is started /restarted. Once it initialised, it works OK.

Looks like the event id 7023 is related to .Net.

stratex5
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
With our dell lappy at home the LAN takes near 5 mins to load up. I think it has something to do with Dells programming skills :confused:

bk T
11-01-2013, 10:02 AM
5 min to load up the LAN? That's a long, long time. :D

stratex5
11-01-2013, 10:05 AM
It causes me head aches having to wait for the LAN to initialise while FF is open. And if you put the pc to sleep then wake it up you have to restate the pc just for it to re-initialise.

wainuitech
14-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I Managed to replicate the problem ( after a update) , very slow for the Network connection to appear, ( it wasn't on purpose - Trust me ) ;) Customers PC was taking close to 3-4 minutes, now shows in a matter of seconds.

Start/ Run Open MSCONFIG -- go to Services tab --- UNTICK Microsoft .NET framework v4 then Reboot.

bk T
14-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks. it works on this machine, too.

Iantech
14-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I've experienced this on several systems. One was being caused by out of date HP USB scanner drivers, the other (which was taking at least 5-6 minutes), was a service (cant remember now which one), wasnt loading correctly and only after it was timing out, would the LAN drivers load. The LAN driver seems to be one of the last things to load. So my suggestion would be to first look in the services straight after you start the computer and see if there is one that is saying "starting" and is hanging. If there is, try changing it to manual start or even disable it to test if it still delays the LAN driver from loding. Second, make sure all you're drivers are up to date esp if you have just done an install.
Good luck.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Or go to event viewer. It'll tell you whats causing it to hang / or whats causing performance issues. . It'll be under one of the options under windows logs