PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard SATA controllers

FoxyMX
10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Before I get a new motherboard I want to ensure that I will have no trouble installing and using a SSD hard drive with it if and when I want one.

I understand that Intel ports are better than Marvel ports for SSD drives. Having Googled until I am cross-eyed I am still in the dark about which motherboards have Intel or Marvel chips for the SATA controllers. I am also confused as to whether an Intel port is the same thing as an Intel SATA controller. The motherboard websites don't mention what port or controller they have on their Specifications page and I don't fancy downloading a manual for every motherboard. How can I find this information a lot easier?

I have also read that only the 88SE9130, 88SE9220, 88SE9230 series Marvell controllers support TRIM. How do I find out which boards have these controllers?

Or have I got it all completely wrong and the Intel and Marvel controllers are actually drivers that are downloaded? :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2013, 07:20 AM
You need drivers for both I think. For both to work properly . Intel drivers are called rapid storage tech drivers I think. <- I'm using these at the mo on this. I also installed them in Win8.

It looks like Win7 supports the TRIM command natively. And it does install (generic) drivers for TRIM. But maybe not the latest version. Must depend on the mobo. I'm pretty sure (from what I've seen) the ASUS site does list what controller they use on their mobos, on their site. Under the specs tab

Paul.Cov
11-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Beware, not all SSDs use SATA. The pricespy page http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=893#rparams=l=s109971161 shows 4 other interface types, altho SATA is by far the most common, it is not to be assumed as universally applied.

I'd imagine any modern mobo should be fine with SSD, with any potential driver issues sorted out with downloadable updates to the chipsets/drivers... but that's just a guess. I've never touched a SSD. They're too dear for my budget. Plus I'm a real hog when it comes to drive capacity, so if it's not 2TB or more I'm not tempted.

FoxyMX
11-01-2013, 08:26 AM
You need drivers for both I think. For both to work properly . Intel drivers are called rapid storage tech drivers I think. <- I'm using these at the mo on this. I also installed them in Win8.

It looks like Win7 supports the TRIM command natively. And it does install (generic) drivers for TRIM. But maybe not the latest version. Must depend on the mobo. I'm pretty sure (from what I've seen) the ASUS site does list what controller they use on their mobos, on their site. Under the specs tab

So it doesn't matter too much what comes with the motherboard? From what you are saying I take it that regardless of the mobo, one can download drivers for the chips/ports? I don't want to go and get a mobo and find out a year or two down the track that I could have chosen another that had better support for SSD because it had "better" SATA ports.

FoxyMX
11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Beware, not all SSDs use SATA. The pricespy page http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=893#rparams=l=s109971161 shows 4 other interface types, altho SATA is by far the most common, it is not to be assumed as universally applied.

That is good information to know, I hadn't come across anyone pointing that out before. The SSDs that I have been looking at use SATA but I will keep it in mind.

I'd imagine any modern mobo should be fine with SSD, with any potential driver issues sorted out with downloadable updates to the chipsets/drivers... but that's just a guess. I've never touched a SSD. They're too dear for my budget. Plus I'm a real hog when it comes to drive capacity, so if it's not 2TB or more I'm not tempted.

They are too expensive for me at the moment as well but in a year's time I most likely will be interested as the prices keep coming down. I just want to be sure that the motherboard I pick now will not be one whose chips or ports are the slow type. Besides, you only need your OS and programs on them, not data, so I wouldn't need anything larger than 128MB. I would have a platter HDD for data.

Anyone remember when USB flash drives first came out? The 128MB drives were around $1,000. :banana

KarameaDave
11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Motherboards for Intel processors will all have Intel SATA controllers built in to the Intel chipset, Marvell ones are extras and in addition to these.

At least that is my understanding of the situation. ??

bk T
11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Marvell chipset SATA3 controllers doesn't work with 6GB SSD well, you better get a MB with Intel chipset SATA3 controller.

I've 2 PCs, one with Marvell controller only and the other with both Marvell and Intel chipsets. The Intel chipset SATA3 controller works much, much better than Marvell SATA3 with SSDs.

Make sure you connect to the Intel chipset SATA3 connector, if you have a MB with both Intel and Marvell, refer to your MB's user manual for the correct connector.

stratex5
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
They are too expensive for me at the moment as well but in a year's time I most likely will be interested as the prices keep coming down. I just want to be sure that the motherboard I pick now will not be one whose chips or ports are the slow type. Besides, you only need your OS and programs on them, not data, so I wouldn't need anything larger than 128MB. I would have a platter HDD for data.

Anyone remember when USB flash drives first came out? The 128MB drives were around $1,000. :banana

In a years time there may be new SATA generations. And for full future proofing if you have the money try get a mono which supports thunder bolt. It is quite new technology so right now the price for it is a little high but as years go on te price may become similar to SSD's. Buy the way, I hope you mean 128GB not 128MB ;)

FoxyMX
11-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Motherboards for Intel processors will all have Intel SATA controllers built in to the Intel chipset, Marvell ones are extras and in addition to these.

If that were the case then things will be sweet.

Marvell chipset SATA3 controllers doesn't work with 6GB SSD well, you better get a MB with Intel chipset SATA3 controller.

And that is the entire purpose of my original post. I am trying to determine how to figure out WHICH motherboards have Intel chipset SATA3 controllers. They are not specified on the motherboard manufacturer webpages and I don't want to have to download a dozen manuals to find out.

Buy the way, I hope you mean 128GB not 128MB ;)

Nope, I meant 128MB. We don't have 128GB USB flash drives yet. :p

CYaBro
11-01-2013, 01:50 PM

At least that is my understanding of the situation. ??

Correct.

The SATA controller is built into the chipset (Intel or AMD) and these days they have support for at least 4 SATA ports but have seen up to 8.
If the mainboard manufacturer wants more SATA ports then they may put another SATA controller chip on the board and this could be the Marvell one but there are other brands.

FoxyMX
11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Excellent. Thanks everyone. :cool:

bk T
11-01-2013, 10:29 PM
You need SATA3 to take advantage of the SSDs 6GB speed.

Not all Intel MBs have Intel SATA3 ports.

My other machine, a Gigabyte for Intel CPU has got only Marvell SATA3 ports.

Ninjabear
12-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I have a 150gb ssd and plugged it to a sata 3 port to my motherboard and moved my hard drive one slot up to another port.
Works really well and faster than installing stuff to my hard drive.
didn't need any drivers just plugged it in boot into windows and worked straight away

Agent_24
12-01-2013, 07:20 PM
You shouldn't need drives for the drive itself, but you wll need drivers for your SATA controller.