PDA

View Full Version : Another backup thread - Genie Backup can'r find the network

Tony
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I have run Genie backup for years, usually with no trouble, although it can sometimes have a hissy fit. I'm currently running version 9 on Win7 Pro.

I have a backup job that runs on the local PC and backs up files on my Window Home Server machine to the local machine. It has run without problem for a long time but has now stopped seeing the server. It says there is nothing to back up and when I check the setup the server is invisible. If I try the network choice in the selection panel, it finds the other PC on the network, but can't find the server. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with Geni-sof support we found a workaround by explicitly entering the UNC path to the folders I want. Then it works OK. Genie-soft support basically have no idea what is happening.

I should say that no other progs on the PC have any problem finding the server, and windows explorer is fine as well. The odd thing is that Genie Backup recognises the server as a "media device" and an "other device" but not as a computer.

I'm hoping the vast skills and experience of the PressF1 people can possibly give an insight into what is happening.

Tony
10-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Whoops! The subject should of course be "can't find the network" - d'oh!

wainuitech
11-01-2013, 08:46 AM
The WHS will be seen as a media Device, its because of its functions, its a media server as well. By default the Media Sharing is turned on if you look in the connector window.

Just curious, :) why use Genie, when WHS has a automatic backup function built right in, thats one of the "features" thats good, it automatically backs up your connected computers every day ?

If you need access just to one particular file within a backup you can extract it out easy enough, just by opening the backup via the Connector.

OH -- just re genie and the LAN - got a customer who had the same problem earlier last year, never could figure out why it wouldn't work, as you said support is useless and everything looked right by all the settings. So ended up changing backup software, they now run fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/) which I put in.

Tony
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes, I understand why the server shows up as a media device. What is interesting is that Genie Backup recognizes that but does not recognize the "computer".

I've always been bit obsessive about backups. Probably dates from my days as a mainframe operator when we had several hours of backing up to 2400' tapes every night. Anyway, what I do is use WHS to back up my PC and laptop, and although I know WHS does file duplication, because I have the disk capacity I also backup (using Genie Backup) the files specifically stored on the server onto my main PC. I also do a backup to external disk every week that gets stored in my garage as a pseudo offsite storage.

I think WHS is a great bit of software, and MS did a major foot-shooting exercise when they released the updated version that didn't use pooled storage. I'd love to know how many people actually "upgraded".

I'm always on the search for a better backup program. I'll check out fbackup. I've also used Acronis and given up on it.

The latest update from Genie-Soft help (yeah, right) just reiterated stuff the same person had said in earlier messages, and added absolutely nothing to the situation. What a waste of time!

reefseeker
05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
DID YOU EVER FIGURE IT OUT? I have windows8 and this problem has always been with me since windows 7 and with Genie8 and 9 Genie people are not very helpful. but I have every job send me email and that is the only way I can keep track of the what fails. Really frustrating. My server is there sometimes and sometimes not. If I reboot my server then I see it.

Tony
05-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't have a problem with Win7 seeing the server, only Genie9. The workaround I use On Genie-Soft's recommendation is to explicitly put in the UNC path to the server folders I want to backup in the "What to backup" panel. Screenshot attached. That seems to be working consistently. No other help from Genie Soft though.

SolMiester
05-02-2013, 10:01 AM
WHS can back itself up too.......simply plug a USB HDD into the WHS box and there is a setting to show its for backup of the server...!

Tony
05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
WHS can back itself up too.......simply plug a USB HDD into the WHS box and there is a setting to show its for backup of the server...!Does that backup all the shared folders?

SolMiester
06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Does that backup all the shared folders?

Complete backup, data and system.

Tony
06-02-2013, 12:48 PM
OK, I might have a look at that. I do have a USB HDD so it will be an easy trial.

wainuitech
06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Microsoft have now discontinued WHS. That happened around the middle of 2012 You may still be able to pick a copy up from some places though.

One option as a replacement is Server 2012 Essentials. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server-essentials/default.aspx It has a limit of 25 users where as WHS had 10.

It still does full daily system backups, and still recovery as Per WHS, but also does a lot more.

The majority of the setting are set up Via the Dashboard.

The Adding users and giving permissions has changed a bit as well, but still easy enough, the Dashboard wizard walks through reasonable painless.

It has a similar interface as Windows 8 with the charms menu on the right, with access to all the other settings.

Tony
06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Microsoft have now discontinued WHS. That happened around the middle of 2012 You may still be able to pick a copy up from some places though.

Its been replaced with Server 2012 Essentials. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server-essentials/default.aspx This is what was codenamed "Vail", right? The big no-no for me is the lack of pooled storage, as I said in an earlier post. I haven't looked at it in any detail, but my impression is that is is now much more than I need, whereas WHS was exactly what I needed.