PDA

View Full Version : Samsung tv as pc monitor - video "juddering"

cagesen
10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I use my samsung tv (LA40C650) as my pc monitor. When watching any video (mkv, avi, youtube) it alternates between smooth motion and juddering.
I have tried many combinations of settings in VLC and the tv itself, but no luck.

If I play a video from my usb stick plugged in to the side of the tv, it plays fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Eorr
10-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Hiya bud.

I reckon it is your PC handling (or not) the video translation and your large quality monitor is showing up the delays too well - I have a similar issue when I use a laptop and play movies from the hard drive, but being such a small screen it isn't a big issue.

Movies played from your USB stick will be handled by the TV right? So it is not the TV, which only leaves your PC.

What is the connection between the PC and TV? HDMI cable would be my preference to eliminate the jitter effect.

Hope you enjoyed your holidays!

CO.

apsattv
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Have you tagged the source input as "PC"

To disable most of the sets processing functions

cagesen
11-01-2013, 12:08 AM
@Eorr - My holidays were great, thanks. Hope yours were too.
I have a HDMI cable from pc to tv.
I agree that since my tv can play the video smoothly directly from usb, it seems like it should be the pc's problem.
However........
@apsattv - i just renamed the HDMI input as "PC", and it seems like there is an improvement. I will get back to you after watching more video, to make sure I'm not just seeing what I want to see.

Cheers.

dugimodo
11-01-2013, 12:41 AM
It's a silly thing samsung has done with this, I use a 24" samsung TV as a second monitor and if it's not labelled as PC for the input text is fuzzy and difficult to read.
It's good the setting fixes it, but nowhere in the documentation does it mention it and the menu seems like it's just a way to name the input rather than actually an input mode setting.

Also check your refresh rate is set correctly, usually 60hz. Whats the CPU/ GPU of your PC? is it powerful enough for full HD playback ?

cagesen
13-01-2013, 12:58 AM
i watched more video and am convinced changing the input to "PC" has improved the juddering (it now happen far less frequently)
@dugimodo - i agree: i dont remember reading anywhere what changing the input label does to the settings. My refresh rate is 60hz, and my gpu is radeon hd6950 which is powerful enough.