PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 booting problems

andy_mcc
10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi

I have just installed a clean version of windows 8 on my computer. I formatted the drive first then installed. Previously i had windows 7 and Ubuntu installed with dual booting prompting me on initial boot up which one i wanted to boot. The problem is this still appears and will not let me boot into windows 8, as it now can not find either of those operating systems. How do i stop this from happening? Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew

wainuitech
10-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Welcome to PF1 :)

Sounds like you didn't actually wipe the drive. If you wanted to remove both previous OS's and install W8, esp if dual booting, its best to wipe the drive clean thus removing both.

If this is what you wanted to do, so the drive only has windows 8, then download AOMEI Partition Assistant, install it on a PC, and create a Bootable CD. On the PC you want W8, boot from the CD, and delete all partitions. Then reinstall W8. That way you will only have W8 and will have removed the Other two OS's.

You can download AOMEI from here --- free-partition-manager (http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html) its compatible with most OS's including Ubuntu and Windows 7, 8, some others are not.

andy_mcc
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for that, I thought that was what i did, I booted from the windows 8 DVD deleted the Partition and then formatted it and then went on to install w8. I will try and download that program that you suggested and try again. Thanks

Andrew

wainuitech
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Its possible Windows DVD didn't read the Ubuntu partition. If this is what happened, that could be why you still are getting the options.

kjaada
11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Or maybe Ubuntu,s Grub boot loader was installed to its own partition.You could try Gparted to see just what partitions you do have.