PDA

View Full Version : LGA2011 Cooling Solution

Iantech
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking for a cooling solution (most likely water) for a LGA2011 3930K, the stock Intel air solution doesnt cut it. At idle is sits at 37~40 degrees which is a little higher than I would like but acceptable, but I shut it down after about 2 minutes into the burnin test as it was approaching 80 degrees which is far to hot. The client is going to be doing a lot of video production and editing etc, so is going to use all it can give and I have to have a solution to keep the temp down.

Anyone got a good cooling solution for a 3930k cpu? Price not an issue, but noise is (it has to be as quiet as possible), and of course performance is. If anyone can give any thought, suggestions, guidence etc, I would appreciate it.

currently looking towards a Corsair H100 but form what I have read it is quite noisy.

Thanks to all.
Ian

kingdragonfly
10-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I've built a good number of water cooled system. The last had a radiator with a 23 cm fan, and redundant water pumps.

Frankly I came to the conclusion for quiet / robust / no hassle cooling, the best solution was a traditional 5U / 6U case, with very large air coolers.

To make it quiet, all fans including the CPU fan, should be at least 12 cm.

Preferably use a motherboard which has in-built fan controller, and at least 4 fan headers. Most higher-end gaming motherboards have plenty of fan headers.

3 pin Linear voltage regulation fans:

* tend to be quieter than 4 pin Pulse-width modulation (PWM) fans, at lower RPM's.

* more variety, more common

* at very low speeds, can have problems starting up / start turning.

4 pin Pulse-width modulation (PWM) fans:

* allow for a finer degree of control and monitoring

* less start up problems than 3 pin fans.

* PWM's are a less common, less variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control

A very cool company, in the US to give you some ideas. They do ship to NZ

http://www.frozencpu.com/

stratex5
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Water cooling is not typically easily done nor cheap but when you do it I would recommend water cooling everything. EKWB have heaps of water blocks, resovoirs and pumps. For a pc with the typical 1 CPU WB, 1 GPU WB, 1 Chipset water block, tubing, resovoir, pump and coolant comes in at about $900 - $1200 depending on what sort of metal heatsink you want.

SolMiester
14-01-2013, 01:22 PM
You wont need a H100, I did a H80 along with i5 2500k, changed the fan, however you wont need it at high settings...even at low on the i5 @ 4Ghz, it was quiet, mind you I put it in a quiet Raven 03 case

dugimodo
14-01-2013, 01:48 PM
TDP on a 2500K is 95W, 3570K is 77W, but 3930K is 130W so quite a bit higher.
I've had a 2500K and currently have a 3570K, neither is particularly difficult to cool. The 3930K might be a different story. A Hyper 212 evo is keeping my 3570K cool at minmum fan speed and an Antec Kuhler 620 closed loop water cooler kept the 2500K cool with a 4.1 Ghz clock and was silent. The closed loop systems are only about as good as an air cooler, the main advantages are noise and load on the motherboard, space needed for the water block, etc.

One of the larger Air coolers with a push pull arrangement might be the best option.

Iantech
14-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I put an Intel closed loop water cooler on it (as it is a component I have already had experience with when I water cooled my 3770K), and it has dropped idle temp to 32~35, and load temp to 51~53 (running at 3.8GHz clock) , well within limits and very happy with results. And it all runs quieter than a Mitsubishi heat pump :D