PDA

View Full Version : morhpeus and continuous dialling...

14-11-2001, 01:15 AM
I installed the Morpheus file sharing program last week, and its buggered up my computer... now everytime I load either Internet Explorer (v6) or Windows Explorer the computer tries to dial the internet. Morpheus is now uninstalled, but its still doing it. ZoneAlarm isn't stopping it from dialling (which is strange...) and on top of this its also taking AGES to load either of those. Any suggestions short of a format?

14-11-2001, 01:35 AM
Probably spyware launching from a registry key that came with morpheus. Webhancer or something equally odious and invasive. Download Adaware (freebie - do a search) and run that. Be aware however quite a few free and shareware programs come with hidden spyware which does not get uninstalled with the program it piggybacked on so you may be surprised by how much is on your PC if you have never used it before.

Also if you have shareware/freeware that you use regularly it may be disabled if you just let Adaware do its thing (remove all spyware) requiring you to reinstall the shareware/freeware you want to use.

14-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Thanks, but I should have said earlier... I've run AdAware, and it removed references to different things, including Cydoor (which comes with Morpheus apparently), but that's not helped any. I've also searched my registry for anything I can think of that could relate to morpheus, and deleted anything it found - still no help though.

14-11-2001, 11:50 PM
strange..ive got morpheus and had no such trouble and ada aware shows no spyware associated , maybe setting ur IE to 'never dial a connection' and in Windows Explorer make sure that view as a web page is unchecked ..other than that..find it really odd..i dont think morpheus has anything to do with it.. also maybe try this see what progs load on start up and uncheckin those eg go start>> programs>> accessories>> system tools>> system information>> tools>> system config utility then have a look at the starup tab..suss any dial up proggys loadin up..then uncheck if ya do find any..otherwise..who knows?!

good luck man

15-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Okay, here goes.

IE is version 6, Zonealarm is not picking that up as being Windows Explorer. Zonealarm lists both IE and Windows Explorer seperately.

I don't think its a problem of Windows Explorer having to search for a webpage etc. as it starts dialling long before Windows explorer even opens, and the same happens when I click My Computer (no webpages in there!) or Network Neighbourhood.

There are no other programs that access the net running, apart from ICQ, and that's been there for a few years, and has never caused a problem, and all the problems started from the moment I installed Morpheus.

I think my computer's possessed :)