PDA

View Full Version : New TV & Computer

Luppi
09-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I have a quick question that might seem a bit dumb, but I am really confused about what should or should not actually be there when you try to connect your PC to a new tv.

So, first things first. I have a decent PC with a HIS Radeon HD5570 1GB video card. I have a pretty nice LG 22" monitor on it through a HDMI cable and i have recently bought a Samsung, 80 cm, Full HD, 32EH6030 TV.

Now, for the series of questions:

1) If i connect the computer to the TV through a HDMI cable, even though my video card on the PC does not support 3D, nor does my monitor, and then play a movie that is stored on the PC's hard disk, will the movie show up clearly on my TV as 3D even though it's not going to play on the PC?

2) The distance from the PC to my new TV is quite large, and as such, i need a 5 meter HDMI cable to connect the two. Is it true that quality is severely deteriorated as the length of the cable increases? Someone at the store where i bought it from suggested that everything over 3 meters is going to lose drastically in quality. If this is not true, do you recommend any quality HDMI cables which can do the job? Of course, my graphics card only has one HDMI output, so my monitor will be PCI-linked then.

3) If 3D movies played back on the PC won't work on my TV, how can i play 3D movies on the TV without buying a 3D dvd player? An external hard-drive connected to the TV, or a USB stick, will any of that work?

linw
09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
1. No. The output to the TV is just the monitor output so if the vid won't play on the PC, there will be no video out.

2. Dick Smith have an online special ending today for a 5m HDMI cable for $9.98 ($20 discount). HDMI is digital so doesn't behave like analogue.

3. You will need to check the TV manual to see what video formats it is capable of playing from USB. If it can paly a 3D vid format you could use USB.

SanChippy
09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
1. It WON'T play in 3-D, remember that there is 2-D mode which it will display the Screen in. As linw has said
If the vid won't play on the PS, there will be no video out. It also depends if your playing a 3-D vid or 2-D vid on whether or not the pc can play it

2. No you won't lose quality. I have a 5m HDMI cable that I got 6 months ago for $9.99 ($30 off) and it works perfectly without losing quality. I cannot suggest any Quality HDMI cable fot you. I got the cheapest one I could find, so I don't think that "Quality" matters for HDMI cables, just worry about the fact that you will be watching whatever you are watching in (most likely) 1080p, which may affect video quality on the tv depending on the quality of the vid. So don't go watching 240p vids on a 1080p resolution, it will be ugly.

3. No answer from me
Linw You will need to check the TV manual to see what video formats it is capable of playing from USB. If it can paly a 3D vid format you could use USB.

Luppi
09-01-2013, 11:45 AM
So if it's a bluray 3d movie, an mkv or sbs and not an iso, and i play it from the PC with a HDMI cable to the TV would that work?

linw
09-01-2013, 12:09 PM
You will need a 3D media player. See here http://www.istonsoft.com/convert-3d/how-to-play-3d-movies.html

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2013, 12:10 PM
The cable would have to support 3D too. I think its 1.4/a not a 1.3 cable

dugimodo
09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
The cable would have to support 3D too. I think its 1.4/a not a 1.3 cable

I don't believe there's a difference. A wire is a wire and a pin is a pin.

Anyway 5M is probably ok with any cable but it's getting on the long side. It's generally accepted any cable will work for 1080P up to about 3M, after that it does actually start to matter but 5 is likely still short enough to get away with

linw
09-01-2013, 02:57 PM
The 1.4 refers to the HDMI standard. 1.4 is needed for 3D protocols.

As for the cable, there seems to be a 'Standard' one rated to 1080i and a 'High Speed' one rated to 1080p. The High Speed one is recommended for 3D.

Interesting point re the 1.4 spec, Speedy. The TV HDMI surely is 1.4 capable but what about the PC one?? OP needs to follow up on this angle.

@OP - Google is your friend!

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2013, 03:40 PM
According to wikipedia the cable can be 1.3 but:

High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel.

But I'm pretty sure the videocard's HDMI port has to support 1.4/a to get 3D in the first place.

linw
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes, the PC HDMI would have to comply with 1.4/a. After all, the PC and TV have to communicate with a common protocol.