PDA

View Full Version : Renewing my internet security package

barryk
06-01-2013, 12:00 PM
My Nortons Internet Security subscription is up for renewal soon. I have to decide by Jan 10th if I will renew the yearly subscription or not. One year's subscription costs about $100.

Are there any free or lower cost alternative options that are as good as the Nortons Internet Security package?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.

wainuitech
06-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Nod32 $70 first year, $49.52 renewal every year after that.

Lighter on system resources, as well as better detection rate.

Generally you dont need all the bells and whistles that come with security suits like firewalls etc. The inbuilt for Vista onwards are generally good enough for the average user.

Chillisoft are the NZ agents for Nod32 https://secure.chillisoft.net/purchase/index.cfm Theres a 30 day free trial if you wanted to try before making up your mind to buy or not.

Got a customers PC here at the moment, HAD NIS on it, installed Nod and found 2 infections while installing -- So much for Norton being "good" :groan:

FoxyMX
06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
My Nortons Internet Security subscription is up for renewal soon. I have to decide by Jan 10th if I will renew the yearly subscription or not. One year's subscription costs about $100.

Uninstall Norton's completely, including everything with "Norton" in it in Add/Remove Programs then, if you are happy to pay for your anti-virus, download and install NOD32 as recommended by wainuitech.

There are free anti-virus programs available as well but NOD32 is considered the best by the techs here and elsewhere.

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I'll echo the above sentiments, go NOD32

wainuitech
06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Just a bit of a follow on from my previous comment -- Nod32 found 8 in total infections, including 4 Trojans that Norton Internet Security didn't even knew were there. ( & Norton 2012 was fully upto date).

dugimodo
06-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I won't argue with the NOD32 reccomendations but if you want free just go with MSSE and supplement it with a couple of malware scanners like MBAM and Spybot. Totally free and at least as good as Norton (better in my opinion).
I've only used free virus and malware tools for many years now and have only had one instance of malware which was my own stupid fault (clicked something I suspected at the time I shouldn't).

Nortons is not well regarded in general in my experience, although much of the distrust stems from older versions and the new ones generally get ok reviews (but never top ratings).
Bad reputations are very hard to shake and Norton tended to bog down systems and hook itself in and not uninstall properly when I last used it. Haven't touched it in a very long time now though and can only go from what I read about it.

Bobh
06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I downloaded the trial version of NOD32. It picked up eleven infections on the first scan. My trial runs out 19 Jan 13. Costs they have quoted are;

Term price ex GST price incl GST
1 year NZ$61.52 $70.75
2 years NZ$90.75 $104.36
3 years NZ$129.22 $148.60

Agent_24
06-01-2013, 09:43 PM
The firewall that comes with Windows now is pretty good at stopping things getting in, that's true.

Not so good at stopping things getting out, however.

wainuitech
06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
The firewall that comes with Windows now is pretty good at stopping things getting in, that's true.

Not so good at stopping things getting out, however.

The reason its not to good at stopping outgoing, is by default its turned off. When its turned on it acts like most other firewalls.

Heres how to turn it on - Picture makes it easier to explain (http://mcakins.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/2012-08-19_111512.jpg) -- Linked to a site, about windows 8 But W7 is the same.

nedkelly
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
I agree with the comments above, all computers that have paid software in my house run NOD32 and everything else runs MSSE

Agent_24
07-01-2013, 10:46 AM
The reason its not to good at stopping outgoing, is by default its turned off. When its turned on it acts like most other firewalls.

Heres how to turn it on - Picture makes it easier to explain (http://mcakins.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/2012-08-19_111512.jpg) -- Linked to a site, about windows 8 But W7 is the same.

I stand corrected. I have not had much to do with Windows Firewall since I prefer Comodo. Good to know it looks a bit more useful than it was in XP

Vince
07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Nortons is a pain in the ass! 3 years in a row they were unable to renew my subscription, even though I had paid them.
The third year they took 3 months to update it; asking me to temporarily install a newer version in the mean time!!

I now use Avast Antivirus, free and Comodo Firewall, free version, along with Spybot S&D. These are the most user friendly programs of their type and
Nothing gets into, or out of my computer without my permission.
It all costs nothing!

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh I dunno, NOD32 is pretty damn friendly ;)

On top of that, detection rates are what you pay for with NOD32. Beats the free stuff pretty much across the board in what we'll call "Independent tests" done by forum members ;)

barryk
07-01-2013, 12:31 PM
I agree with the comments above, all computers that have paid software in my house run NOD32 and everything else runs MSSE

Thanks PressF1 users for all the comments and recommendations. I'm glad I asked the question because that has turned up information I didn't know about, in particular from the pros. Many heads are better than one head in this sort of situation, eh?

I'm very surprised that NIS didn't pick up some of the malware (ie infections).

I am still using the (very old, I know) WIN XP system on this laptop.

My thinking is that I will go with NOD32 before Jan 10th to replace NIS as I use some off-the-shelf software on this laptop. Has someone explained in this thread how to purchase and set up NOD32? Also how to unsubscribe from NIS? I'll also look at MSSE as a possible future option.

Ciao,
Barry.

Vince
07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I am no longer willing to pay for software, when there is so much good free stuff.

wainuitech
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
If you want to give nod32 a go, you can download the trial from the following http://www.eset.com/download/home/detail/family/2/ (http://www.eset.com/download/home/detail/family/2/) When it downloads it will be an installer, so its only small, once you double click it then it downloads the program ( latest version) just follow instruction as it goes, when it needs to be activated after it installs, you have 3 options, select the trial licence, put in your email address and it does the rest.

The default setup works OK, but I set it to its full capacity, bit hard to explain, but I can soon put a screen shot of the setup.

If you are using XP still, on the odd occasion you will get a bit of lag after a while, (you'll see error Side by Side in the event logs), this is because of one minor problem with XP - Its easy to fix as well, I'll post a link to the file you need to download to fix XP if its needed.

BTW -- The persons PC that I had, they had at some stage tried to install MSE, but it wouldn't install, this is because of the same infections that Norton Didn't detect, But Nod32 detected and dealt to them while installing.

Vince
07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
You don't need to unsubscribe you just need to remove Nortons.
You used to have to download a program to scrub your system clean of Nortons.
Uninstalling leaves all sorts of rubbish all over your system and it can be troublesome!

Agent_24
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Symantec did and probably still do have a removal tool for Norton products for download.

The best removal of course is a format and reinstall...

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I am no longer willing to pay for software, when there is so much good free stuff.
True, but when none of the free stuff compares to the paid software, I'll happily protect my PC.

It's like locking your doors on your house but still leaving your Windows wide open (Pun intended). Why bother, when you can get somebody to lock everything for you.

@barryk,
You can get the trial and give that a whirl. If you like it, get in touch with myself, Wainuitech or CYaBro via PM and we can tee up a license for you. There's a few resellers around here on the forums. We stand by it *because* it's so good, there's naturally no point in reselling something that's going to half-ass it. Many "smaller" people / businesses you'll find (especially here) have little to go by aside from their good name, so recommending something second-rate wouldn't be good for our name. Hence why we all recommend the best there is!

Agent_24
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
True, but when none of the free stuff compares to the paid software, I'll happily protect my PC.

I don't agree. Comodo's Defense+ set in paranoid mode will beat anything, techincally you wouldn't even need an antivirus if you have that.

The only problem is if you don't like getting alerts asking to allow or block things from running... otherwise, every single program must be run past D+ and so you have full control of the lot.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
^^ True, and most "average" users won't know / care about stuff going outbound, so they'll just allow all anyways or get pissed off at it and disable it.

That said I've not really had a good play with Comodo so can't really comment :-/

FoxyMX
07-01-2013, 05:32 PM
If you like it, get in touch with myself, Wainuitech or CYaBro via PM and we can tee up a license for you. There's a few resellers around here on the forums.

:illogical

CYaBro
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I can get anyone a 3 month trial of NOD32 if they like, PM me.
Also, if you are doing a cross-grade, i.e. you want to change to NOD32 from a competing product, then you can get the first year at the renewal price as well, so about $50 inc GST.
Just need to let whoever know at the time of purchase that that is what you want to do.
You can't do this from any of the free AV products. :D

I also agree with wainuitech, all the reviews and write-ups you see of Norton is that it is better and faster than it used to be but that's just not we're seeing in the real world.
It is still as bad as it has been and I see the same thing as wainuitech with machines coming in for repair that are running Nortons.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
There we go, you can get in touch with CYaBro or wainuitech :)

Agreed on the real world vs write-ups too.

PPp
07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Friends asked us if they should renew Nortons. I advised them to get rid of it. Turns out their laptop is also INCREDIBLY slow. Removed Nortons with Revo Uninstaller, takes about 3 hours its so slow. I installed MSSE and every thing was much better, at least reasonable for an old HP.

SanChippy
07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
When we got the first home computer in my house I used to think that Norton was a Doctor on call; it had the Stethoscope and just said "Norton" on the shortcut. So when I was sick one day I double clicked the icon and it came up with a window that said something 'bout security and I thought to myself then "How stupid am I?!?!?!?!?!"

Vince
07-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Oh I dunno, NOD32 is pretty damn friendly ;)

On top of that, detection rates are what you pay for with NOD32. Beats the free stuff pretty much across the board in what we'll call "Independent tests" done by forum members ;)

I just downloaded NOD32 and gave it a trial.
It started scanning without letting me know it had. It found nothing, as I predicted! On the negative side, it cant be paused.
I ran it 3 times on max settings to be sure: it found nothing.

Bobh
07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
There is a pause and resume button with NOD32.

wainuitech
08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
It started scanning without letting me know it had. It found nothing, as I predicted! On the negative side, it cant be paused.
I ran it 3 times on max settings to be sure: it found nothing. By default, when you install Nod32 it will do a quick scan. You can pause or stop it any time you want, simply click on Computer Scan, open the scan on the right, click pause/ Stop.

After going into the setting and changing it to all its max, its best to do a in depth Scan, quick scans will usually only pick up some infections.

You also need to setup a regular scan at a day/time that suits.

Just because Nod didn't find any thing, doesn't mean its not good. Your computer simply may not have any infections.

Sometimes (from experience) you can tell if something is not right by the way a PC acts. The one I mentioned earlier on, there were signs of infections, as well as looking in the installed programs, you get to know theres a high chance something hiding.

No Antivirus is perfect, but some have a higher detection rate than others, and I'm talking real world usage, not lab tests.

Vince
08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I ran it 3 times on max settings to be sure: it found nothing.

I forgot to mention that after the scans my computer stopped working. That is, NOD32 tried to restart the computer and It couldn't even be restarted!
The MS Works DB. cardfile couldn't save, and its desktop icon lost it's link with the program.

When I clicked Start everything froze. Ctrl,Allt,Delete did nothing. I had to restart manually; the restart failed and I had to restart again.

I think the Avast /Comodo/Spybot S&D combination is much better. Nothing has entered my computer for at least 3 years! It never locks up either.

wainuitech
08-01-2013, 09:15 AM
What OS Vince ??

Never heard of Nod doing that, it sometimes makes XP run a bit slow, and thats because of a bug in XP that shows as error side by side in the eventvwr, but there is a fix for that. Had it once when Nod V5 caused a XP machine to run real slow, but putting in V4 solved it.

XP is starting to get to old now and some programs dont like it. Most of the time I have found that if ANY AV causes problems theres usually a under laying problem in the OS.

Another thing that happens a lot, people have more than one AV installed and the two clash. if you didn't completely remove Comobo then it will clash with Nod, or any other AV thats installed.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
^^ I'll second that!

barryk
09-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I have now stopped the automatic subscription renewal of my Nortons Internet Security (NIS) package. It can still be manually renewed.

My current NIS subscription has another 17 days to run.

The op system I'm using is Win XP so NOD32 may have a big problem :D with that. I will PM CYaBro to organise the 3 month trial of NOD32 to see how it performs on my system.

It's interesting that this thread has generated more responses than I expected. I guess that shows how keen people are to keep out viruses and other nasties.

CYaBro
09-01-2013, 10:54 AM
PM sent :D

wainuitech
09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
If you install Nod32 onto a XP machine, and it starts to slow down, it may be caused and show "side by side" errors & showing in the eventvwr - if so install This here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555) - that will fix it.