PDA

View Full Version : Back online, but landline doesnt work?

beetle
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Ok after a very long time.... we have the internet back at our house.....

I have come across to the dark side of the forum...lol and had to leave my beloved pf1 chat lol

I have joined up with Orcon and got the landline and net deal........... got a modem, and i plug it in and we have the net......... now for the last 6 months or so we have not had a landline at all........ so Orcon has had to start up a dead line as such....

I tried changing cables, and bought a new one, but nope, cos the cable was different from what we have used before. I have a genius? modem and uniden cordless phones.... when i have no joy with other suggestions i will re ring Orcon........ spent 25 mins on the line this morn, but we only fixed the net prob cos i didnt realise it was all connected......and not worked on the phone cos of incorect cables / plugs.... only to find now it doesnt work.
Some other steps i will be asking about later is whats the Orcon details for email setups and getting wifi sorted for our phones but blocked to others?
but back to the phone please...:)
Sugestions please pm what i may have done wrong?

beetle :)

zqwerty
06-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Sounds like what happens to a friend of mine, get Chorus to check the 48Volts is connected, they call it overlap meaning that neither the ISP nor Chorus seem to have responsibility for this.

Don't ask me how this could happen but it has, twice, to my friend, after days of Internet without phone except for echoing and buzzing, humming.

The ISP calling in Chorus after days of tapping away trying to fix the problem from their computers in Auckland, threatening that if it was NFF (no fault found) ie the lines were not faulty, which we already knew they weren't because the broadband internet worked flawlessly, they they would be charging a fee of $144 to the friend.

Well Chorus came round said there was nothing wrong with the lines and left. About an hour later the phone mysteriously started working.

Bill was received for $144 for the NFF. Days of disputes over the phone ensued, started about 4 fault tickets and complaints being met with disbelief, then after days of increasing fury suddenly the phone stopped working.

It was assumed maliciousness was at work but it was incompetence.

The same process repeated as if no-one had learnt anything at their end, including the threat of the NFF charge, which again was threatened and put through.

After many screaming hours down the phone, threats of small claims court, CGA being invoked, eventually the ISP conceded and cancelled both NFF claims for payment.

I reckon they should have been fined for incompetence.

N.B. this is a very truncated version of what happened and does not convey the ABSOLUTE SEETHING FURY generated in the household concerned, by the idiots at the ISP end and their incompetence .

Forgot to mention the language comprehension difficulties of people with English as their second language, but even they lost their professional cool after a few good screaming sessions from me of which I am very proud to have accomplished.

I was called in to deal with the problem in desperation by my friend and, although I just about had a nervous breakdown, I got the problem fixed in the end. Took 5 days of phone calls and emails plus being given 'Authourity' to deal with the problem many times, which the ISP's representatives repeatedly denied that I had, claiming I had to have the owners approval for each phone call, the email tickets proved to be the turning point as I think records are kept and eventually will be seen by someone with executive power and queried as to why so many different ones have been raised. ie Keep making new Fault Tickets every day, that gets the underlings moving to cover their backsides.

So much for privatization producing efficiency.

pctek
06-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Sounds like it's best to avoid Orcon.

Terry Porritt
06-01-2013, 08:02 AM
It took about 4 days for the phone to work when I went to the full Genius with handset with calls to Orcon via cellphone. In the meantime I had internet connection. At least I was able to speak to locals in Auckland.

I also read somewhere that some Uniden phones do not work well or at all with Genius, but I've also read they work ok, so try to borrow another DECT phone to test the VOIP.

Have you read the manual ? https://orcon.net.nz/images/uploads/image/images/Orcon_Booklet%2024pp%20nc.pdf

I assume you have Genius Lite since you didn't mention the Genius handset.

zqwerty
06-01-2013, 08:07 AM
The incidents I described were not Orcon caused.

One of the threats I used to get action was to turn the ISP's name into mud on the internet if they did not act and soon.

Therefore as they did in the end actually come up with a good solution after a lot of grief I won't say which ISP it was, my advice though is to stay away from the small new-comers.

The Error Guy
06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
when you say landline, are your calls actually going over copper or does your phone plug into the genius (in which case it uses VoIP as opposed to copper)

If you type 10.1.1.1 into your browser to get the genius admin page are there green ticks next to all services? If you login and head over to the VoIP tab does the username (usually your phone number prefixed with 4 - eg 4xxxxxxx) appear correct, you probably won't know if the details are correct or not but as long as they are filled in you should be good.

If your phone plugs into the genius check that you have it in the right socket (a friend said his 2nd phone wasn't working, he had it plugged into the PTSN failover socket or the ADSL socket :p

Do you get a dialtone? If you call a number will it go through to a recording saying your call cannot be processed? For us we had a problem where Orcon hand't actually contacted Telecom to initiate the process of porting our number from Telecom to Orcon so although our VoIP service worked ( could get recorded message + call orcon 0800's from it) any other inbound/outbound calls wouldn't work. Called Orcon, 3 hours later phone works :rolleyes:

If you don't get a dialtone and use the Genius DECT wireless handset make sure the handset it paired with the Genius

zqwerty
06-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Yep this is all part of the farcical fault finding which can go on for days of being repeatedly asked for.

Disconnect all filters and extraneous equipment from the phone lines so that nothing is connected and then connect in a standard Telecom phone, does the red light come on? Do not use a mains powered wireless phone as this just confuses things as you will hear some sounds which make it seem as if the phone may be ok because the test phone should be powered from the 48 Volts old style.

If you don't have a red light then the problem is that the lines are down and there is no 48 Volts but since your Broadband Internet is working the lines are probably ok and the 48 Volts has not been connected.

Do you get a dial tone when you lift the test phone handset and listen?

beetle
06-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Ok............. confused as now............ I have the Genuis with out a built in phone. i have a cordless uniden ph which is plugged in...... no dialtone at all, but before i plugged modem in and started all this rigmarole it had the beep beep beep of a unconnected phone line....

i will be ringing orcon back.... i only have cell ph and its quite hard going as i am hearing impaired, and the understanding gets a bit ho hum.... lol i have no idea about Voip or skype cos ive never used either of them... dont need them......... so its all new to me.... thats why i asked for help, as with previous ph / isp company it all just went...lol

thanks peoples much appreciate the help.

Terry Porritt
06-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Well, you are using VOIP now (when it works) whether you know about it or not ! :)

As The Error Guy says, it may be that your number (assuming you do have a phone number) has not yet been "ported". In my case it took several days and several phone calls.

beetle
06-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Ok rang Orcon, nice helpful lady.............. no dial tone from my end, but it rings for her but i dont pick up...lol cos it doesnt ring at this end. i tried with my cell as well, so maybe the line is connected but its my phone ???? was going to update my phone any way just not planned on it today..lol cheaper to upgrade the phone than buy new batterys for old phone. :)

One question i have i forgot to ask the lady was can i have more than one phone on the line? or do they all have to go through the modem?

oh and after rereading The error guys post to clarify what Terry was saying......... i have 3 ticks not 4 the phone tick is not there??????????

what does that mean? its not working or its not set?

Terry Porritt
06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
If the phone icon is not ticked green then it may be either the settings are wrong at Orcons end, or the phone you are using has not been registered.

If you go into the modem program http://10.1.1.1 (default password is admin) look at the opening page: " my primary netphone account is set up correctly?" yours probably says no.

Go to set up my voip tab check that your phone number is in the box and that you have a voip password, and that the other boxes have entries. You don't have to do anything here, those will have by set by Orcon, if there aren't any entries phone them up.

If you click on number 8 box on the left hand side it will tell you if you have a registered phone. If not, there could be a phone compatibilty problem.

Do you have the blue 'phone' light on ? If yes then probably its your phone that is not working, if not then the problem is at Orcons end.

I have 3 phones connected to my system, the Genius handset which is wireless, a Panasonic cordless, and an old original tone dial 'Pert' phone.

beetle
06-01-2013, 11:04 AM
all blue lights are working...... everything says all good, details all correct....
i cannot connect a corded phone to the modem to check as it is a hard wired one with wrong connector on the end........... so i think i will have to go shopping for a new phone.

how do you have all those phones connected may i ask? through the modem ?
thanks

beetle
06-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Any suggestions of what cordless phones are good and will be compatable with the modem? which are hearing impaired, hearing aid compatable? :)

beetle
06-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I have used 3 different cords from modem to phones........... so im thinking its the phones......... i have had these about 5 years so maybe its time to replace ?

Terry Porritt
06-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Phones have to be connected through the modem, they will not work if plugged into a phone wall socket.

There may be problems with cables and connectors as the Genius modem has a 'modular' RJ11 socket, and your phones may have a larger BT plug.
I have the Panasonic cordless and the old analogue Pert phone 'Teed' connected together via a T adapter I made up from an old Dynalink filter which has RJ11 sockets each end, and a flying lead with an RJ11 plug which goes to the green socket on the Genius. It is possible that there are adapters that will take multiple RJ11 phone plugs.
I'm running an extension phone lead under the house for the old analogue phone.

I tried to use the existing phone wiring as an extension to the Genius by plugging a lead into the green socket and the other end into a BT wall jack.
It worked after a fashion in as much phoning out was ok, but the ringer was unreliable.

beetle
06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Ok well id like to be able to have a phone in my bedroom, and a phone in the kitchen.....

ive looked at Noel leaming, Harvey norman, and Dick smith......... Dick smith seems to have a larger product line... and have come up with 3 phone sets i like ? have yet to go and physically look at them...lol

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/F3515/uniden-dect-1515-2-digital-technology-cordless-phone-system

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/F2535/uniden-dect1535-1-cordless-phone-with-answer-machine

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/F3035/uniden-dect3035-cordless-phone-with-answering-machine

Im presuming these will be compatable???

thanks Terry for the help, i alas have a concrete floor so wiring could be an issue....

Trev
06-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Got one of these (http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/F7868/uniden-xdect8015-cordless-phone) recently with my flybuys points.
:)

The Error Guy
06-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't want to confuse things but chorus can (and should if you ask) feed the genius back into your wall jackpoints so that your phones work normally

Your phone probably looks like this (cable wise) http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/www/images/products/cbtrj11x.jpg with a BM and RJ-11 connector, your Genius only has provisioning for RJ-11, it should have come with an RJ-11/RJ-11 connector (both ends with the small connection on it) - ours was cream in colour. Use this cable to connect the genius to the cordless phone. You should connect it to the green socket on the genius and into the normal line in on the cordless handset. All sweet there!

If chorus didn't wire your cabling into your copper jack points you can do it easily yourself. But to save confusing everything, we'll cover that step once we help getting your phone working!

beetle
06-01-2013, 01:54 PM
As to the picture, yes my phone had that style cable, but i have have found 3 of my own, and a newly bought cable with both little square whatsits on both ends and none of them work, i dont have any other suitable phones to check it with........... and have been wanting a new phone for ages any way...... the batteries on the old unidens are so bad that the phones die unexpectadly on any length call.....

so im picking that at least one of those cables should of made the phones work......... but none have. and all other things seem fine, boxes ticked, or yes and correct details apart from that one with the phone icin on the page you ? gave me detailss for to check thru.

so im off to the shop to hopefully refund the cable that isnt suitable and look for a ok phone....:D

nothing is ever simple ..:p

beetle
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Ok update................. we have tried more cables, and changed phones........... and rang Orcon again, and they have put in a fault order yesterday morning........ and today got another phone call from them, they cant find a prob with the line, and apparently the phone line in accepts it as they can hear it sounding a ringing on there end, but its not going from modem to phones....... so they are sending me a new modem and i can send the other one back........... lol

so lets hope thats the problem.
meanwhile the modem is working fine on the internet cos man my poor puter is struggling to keep up ...lol thats the next thing to replace i guess...........cos its in a sad state...... lol no usb ports working, except mouse and keyboard all other things plugged in either are not seen or error boxes............ so not photos downloaded, no external hard drive seen to save anything.... but still peach chugs along trying to keep us happy...:)
bit laggy, but otherwise good.... oh and we have killed our second set of speakers.... lol

oh and the new phone has a second and third handset that does not need to be plugged into any phone line or modem so we all good and dont need to rewire or fiddle with any of those scary ideas you had be fore Error guy :)

Thanks peeps for the help :)
cross fingers the next modem goes all good yes :)

gary67
07-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Lets hope that's the problem Beetle and that the replacement modem fixes it. Are there no PF1 users living near you?

beetle
07-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont know any PF1 peeps living in wangas any more................

and me too ..hope this fixes the problem :)

beetle
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Today the new modem turned up but we missed the courier, they left their card in the letterbox. i rang the 0800 number for the courier, managed to get the info that indeed yes it was at the depot. went down there at 4.40pm. picked it up back home and by 5 pm we had swapped it all over and had new modem plugged in and guess what !!!!!!!!

lol it works, we now have a working phone :) and this time the new modem came with the cable for the modem to phone, where the last one didnt come with one.
yay!
so i had a faulty modem and now have to send the old one back to them.

:)

Thanks peoples for all your help and input,