PDA

View Full Version : Tell us something we don't know

gary67
05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
It's official we are paying more Stuff (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/8144627/Higher-prices-for-NZ-tech-addicts)

Frank_sumbody
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
why keep it a secret Higher prices for NZ tech addicts I thought this link above was the cost of food going up.

check this out, my battery for my last cell phone $70 (across the road)
Amazon have them about $7 except they will not ship them to New Zealand

Have you all checked your battery out?

KarameaDave
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Something you don't know?
The apple variety 'Five Crown'
is also known as 'London Pippin'.
(Or maybe you already knew... )

But yeah, tech price-gouging is pretty rampant here.

The Error Guy
05-01-2013, 08:24 AM
I always knew things were ridiculously expensive in NZ, interesting things are finally being said about it. It's mostly tech, the CGA excuse is bollocks. In fact you have to wonder, what sort of a company makes products that they expect not to last more than 3 years? Even warranty items don't usually last that long. The idea seems to be just make the damn thing. If it breaks, fix it or buy more!! Never saw any of the issues today with old machines from the 90's

The small population is partly to blame but that doesn't hold a huge amount of weight on the issue, why not just sell the US product to NZ? Have a look at HP/Dell's US sites and compare to the NZ one. Last time I was laptop hunting the NZ HP site didn't even work! Why do they have to make 13 different variations of each model for different countries? NZ is ripped off by the corporations and then ripped off by chain stores. Rule number ONE!!! NEVER buy NZ chain stores! Sister wanted headphones, $40 for basic pair from DSE, told her not to buy from DSE (because they are terrible) or any other store. Jump online, PB tech has a nice pair of Logitech units for $28.

Its a sad world NZ's tech community live in. As frank said though, usually the tech knowledgeable don't shop here. We shop online, overseas! It's our everyday consumers who get hit. Buying a phone direct from telecom is just damn stupid. They only stock overpriced smarphones or overpriced dump phones but do the public know different? Most people think (and kind of correctly so) that you buy the phone from telecom. Only way to do it!

Agent_24
05-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I love this bit:

Manufacturers also frequently cited New Zealand's more stringent warranty obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act - which requires them to keep spare parts for repairs - for higher prices here.

Yet try to get replacement parts for any of the Duratech brand Jaycar soldering stations.. they'll tell you to get stuffed!

pctek
05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
NEVER buy NZ chain stores!

Well I'd say it's probably not a bad idea to buy an NZ chain store, Warehouse just did, the profits would be great.

Buying from one though.....well we all knew that didn't we?
It's the same with games and books too.