PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone cleaner.

bluenose
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi folks, compliments of the season.

I run Ccleaner and Malwarebytes on my Pc's regularly and came to wondering if there is something similar for protecting smartphones from the nasties. Any recomendations?

tnx
Bluenose

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Look in Google play / market whatever its called. CCleaner doesn't remove malware, it removes temp files etc

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Nope, just don't install stuff from unknown locations.

You can also install this if you happen to be getting notification spam, tells you what ad networks are used by what apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.addetector

bluenose
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys. Yes speedy, I am aware of the differences but I was generalising with the enquiry. I was not infering that Ccleaner is a malware remover but on reflection I guess that my query could be misread that way. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks also to you Chill. Being new to the Smartphone scene I am amazed at the sheer number of Apps that are available. Both free and to purchase. Many of the comments from users are contradictory hence my query to people I can trust. Better to be safe than sorry.

Bluenose.

kahawai chaser
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I like and run 1 Tap Cleaner (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.acc.free&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hM HNvZnQuZ3Bob25lLmFjYy5mcmVlIl0.) by Sam Lu. Pretty fast for cache cleaning and text, logs, history, etc, and displays apps with cache/data sizes. He updates his apps regularly including his [Apps to SD] App.

I use to run Avast for mobile, which scans apps after downloading, amongst other types of protection. Perhaps a little slow for scans, but had tons of categories, which I never looked into. So uninstalled it. May use it again.

bluenose
04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Kahawai chaser, the Sam Lu apps look interesting. I won't pretend to understand what it's all about but I will look further into 1 Tap Cleaner, that's for sure. It appears that "Apps to SD" does not work with Samsung S3 JB 4.x. Mine is 4.1.2 so I will have to keep an eye open for updates there. 1 app that I am using is "Echolink" an Amateur Radio app. I don't have an amatuer station at home now but with E'link I can keep in touch with old contacts around the world on the S3.

Many thanks.

Blienose.

Burnzee
05-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi

The answer to your question is yes - first there is One Tap Cleaner as already mentioned and Iobit have recently released their Smart Phone Version of Advanced System Care (http://www.iobit.com/ascdownload-promo.html)called Advanced Mobile Care (http://www.iobit.com/advanced-mobile-care.php). I use these on my Lappie and Smart Phone, no hassles, no problems. What's more you can't beat the price - Free. :D:p:groan:

BURNZEE

dugimodo
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
You can install these if you want, but as Chill was saying there's really no need unless you get stuff from unofficial sources. The play store is fairly well vetted and software with nasties unlikely to get through, that's the biggest advantage of controlling where the software comes from with app stores etc. I had an anti-virus on my smartphone for ages, then took it off because the phone runs better without it and it never flagged a single thing in almost 12 months. The cleaner apps may have some use clearing the cache and history I guess, but these take up very little space so I'd only consider it for privacy reasons if I was worried about someone else seeing my browsing history etc.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Only problem is clearing the caches and things is not recommended unless you're upgrading firmwares, there's little need and will only *slow* things down further. Just don't do it.

bluenose
06-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions. Both pro and con. You have given me much to think about.

At the bottom of this page I noticed the "Similar Threads" and followed the "Smartphone OS Faceoff" link. There I saw the reply posted by Chilling Silence. I wasn't able to read the whole reply (SWMBO) calls. But what I did read I found most interesting. I will take it up again L8R.

Your views are most appreciated. Thank you.