PDA

View Full Version : Asus motherboard energy consumption comparison

FoxyMX
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Here is a tricky one for you all. :)

I am looking at getting a micro-ATX motherboard as they are cheaper and I have no use for all the extra expansion slots in the full-sized boards.

The Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H board is what I had my eye on until I found a review (http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/motherboards/asus-p8h77-m-pro-1085105/review/2#articleContent) of the Asus P8H77-M PRO board which states that it uses less energy than the Gigabyte board. Unfortunately the Asus board does not have a PCI slot which I need for my tuner card. :(

My question is, does anyone know whether the ATX version of this board, the Asus P8H77-V, would use more energy than the m-ATX board, all things otherwise being equal? I am unable to find any information on this issue.

Trev
03-01-2013, 04:34 PM
You could work it out for yourself with this calculator Here. (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp)
:)

wainuitech
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
According to that Link , theres a 6 watt difference -- Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The difference is so small, that running your clothes drier once would use more at a guess.

We did a comparison a few years back - we took a power usage over 24 Hours, all the PC's on, then the following day did the same, all the PC's off, thats 3 Servers ( normally run 24/7) 2 Workshop PC's and our 3 Inside - the difference was so minor it didn't matter.

FoxyMX
03-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for that link. I have a bookmark for a similar site but it is not as good as that one.

And you are right, the difference is too minimal to bother about it. For some reason I thought it would be much greater than that but if I have done the math right then $4 per year won't even buy me a cup of coffee. :p

Thanks guys. :thumbs:

chiefnz
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Realistically, with today's technology, there is not going to be much difference in consumption, usage will increase with the number of cards you put in ait nd even that won't be much unless of course it's medium to high end graphics card.

I am using the P8Z77 V-LX motherboard from Asus and have it running all the time with 5 hard disks and an additional NIC, haven't noticed a monumental increase in my power usage.

FoxyMX
06-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I am using the P8Z77 V-LX motherboard from Asus and have it running all the time with 5 hard disks and an additional NIC, haven't noticed a monumental increase in my power usage.

How are you measuring your power usage?

Agent_24
06-01-2013, 02:47 PM
A full ATX board usually has more\better features so may well use more power because of that. However, extra slots would probably make no difference if there's nothing in them.