PDA

View Full Version : Got a a bad apple - Mac experts?

The Error Guy
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Sisters Macbook Pro (Ver 8,1 - Early 2011) Has been playing up, it started with it not booting and has been randomly shutting down so I opened it up and reset the SMC, also cleaned the fan because it was easy to do whilst it was open. It boots ok but keep randomly shutting down. Upgraded to Mountain Lion but problem is persistent. In the process of helping her back up her stuff I notice that Time Machine keeps failing and manual copying of the users folder ends up with error -36 (vague I/O error) The drive has a few bad sectors, SMART status warn.

I'm unsure of what the problem is with these shut-downs so I installed Mountain Lion onto a spare 120GB HDD, just in case the old OSX install was bad (or rogue software) and/or the HDD was bad. Still random shutdowns with the clean install. I'm pretty sure her old HDD was dying regardless, it still gets E -36 copying. I'll try save her stuff from another computer.

So I'm left with a little over year old MBP that shuts down randomly, it's not the HDD, it's got a clean OSX install and the shut downs are random. I haven't experienced one however she says she hears a click and then screen goes black. Last night it shutdown 4x times in a row, shutting down during the boot process. Normally I'd think definite overheat but on the 4th try it went to the login screen where she logged in but thought stuff it I give up and closed the lid, usually an overheat just shuts off faster when you keep booting it so I don't think it's heat. She says no fan speed up either. The click I think is the HDD parking the head like when you power off a PC suddenly (power remove, hold power/reset button) but I don't know.

I have update the SMC for now, and reset is again, and also disabled the power saving features. I'm not sure if it happens on battery only/power only or both so my only next move is to disconnect the battery to eliminate that and run it solely from power to see if it's a battery issue. Other than that my only option is off to the apple resellers to be charged huge amounts of $ :p

Anyone able to shed some light on what may be causing this? I haven't tried running windows or ubuntu on it btw, to see if it's a strange OSX reaction to itself. I also can't read the crash reports becuase I dont know how or where to find them. Console contains a mess of logs and I can't find the so called crash reporter app anywhere.

Anyway, many thanks to any of you who can help me out. Hopefully we can save this one!

mikebartnz
02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Run memtest on it.

The Error Guy
02-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Good idea, my mind overcomplicates when I look at apples for some daft reason. As if for some reason they are completely different to any other OS :p

Will report back with results

plod
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Just over a year old then take it back to fix under the CGA,

wainuitech
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
however she says she hears a click and then screen goes black Thats Sounds a bit like a sudden power failure. Seen Similar happen on a few Windows laptops, Its generally a Motherboard problem, could be a faulty joint someplace.

Apples error code is helpful ;) Apple-error-codes/apple-error-codes (http://archive.org/stream/manual-apple-error-codes/apple-error-codes#page/n1/mode/2up) I/O Error (bummers) ---- I didn't make that up, its whats in the error code ;)

Since its almost 2 Years old now, Apple will more than likely say no way for a warranty, but the CGA may say different - Good luck.

The Error Guy
02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Memtest came up clean. 1st 2x passes ok but it shut off halfway through the 3rd pass (forgot to turn the charger on) Up until then all passes/tests came up ok. Worth running it for another 4x passes tomorrow or does 2.5 clean passes clear faulty RAM? I'd have thought so myself.

Nothing for CGA, purchased in China since the school she was at insisted on Apples. Might be wrong but I don't think the CGA covers non NZ purchases. Could try sneak it in. I'll run a few more tests overnight before dropping it off an apple place in welly and we'll see what they say. If it's expensive I'll try nabbing a CGA or just get her a new non apple one since the cost of repair on those MBP boards often outweighs buying a new machine :(

Even if it was a CGA job, any luck might be knocked off by the large damage due to butterfingers and "I forgot it was in my bag and threw it in a corner" Bent aluminium on all corners, not too much damage inside. Battery mounts wrecked though. Surprised the screen still works as well as the HDD tbh :D

plod
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Memtest came up clean. 1st 2x passes ok but it shut off halfway through the 3rd pass (forgot to turn the charger on) Up until then all passes/tests came up ok. Worth running it for another 4x passes tomorrow or does 2.5 clean passes clear faulty RAM? I'd have thought so myself.

Nothing for CGA, purchased in China since the school she was at insisted on Apples. Might be wrong but I don't think the CGA covers non NZ purchases. Could try sneak it in. I'll run a few more tests overnight before dropping it off an apple place in welly and we'll see what they say. If it's expensive I'll try nabbing a CGA or just get her a new non apple one since the cost of repair on those MBP boards often outweighs buying a new machine :(

Even if it was a CGA job, any luck might be knocked off by the large damage due to butterfingers and "I forgot it was in my bag and threw it in a corner" Bent aluminium on all corners, not too much damage inside. Battery mounts wrecked though. Surprised the screen still works as well as the HDD tbh :Dwell since you got from overseas no CGA, AppleCare then would have been a wise choice.

The Error Guy
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
There might be apple care on it (since it was purchased through the school) and there's insurance if it's really expensive.

Anyway, it might be a simple fix. Will have to wait and see what the more knowledgeable say about it.