PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 won't start up properly

18-04-1999, 03:56 AM
The PC is a 486-66, 32Meg RAM, currently 3 GIG Hard Disk with plenty of spare room. It has been running fine for over a year, but the other day was a bad day. Now, even in Safe Mode during startup get a window headed 'Explorer' with the message: 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.' Pressing Details button reveals: 'EXPLORER caused an exception 6d007fH in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0137:bff9a3c0.' Always precisely the same message. Pressing the Close button leaves a blank wallpaper screen (except in safe mode the Safe mode reminders are on all 4 corners. I found that by double-clicking on the wallpaper brings up a basic window headed Tasks with the File options for Run Application or Shutdown Windows. The PC runs in MS-DOS ok. However I've run out of ideas to solve the problem. I put a new harddisk into the PC out of another, already loaded with Win95, but still got the problem - even tried reloading Windows off the CDROM. That seems to indicate it's not software. I've changed the memory cards round; destroyed and re-setup CMOS (Power Management is disabled). Run the very latest F-Prot over it. I've run Micro-Scope 6.5 diagnostics over the machine. This tested out everything OK (but said the CPU - a 486-66 is actually running at 20 Mhz! - I think that's a separate issue?). What can you tell me?
By the way, I came across a reference for a 'free virus scan of your PC' over the web - an antivirus company called TrendMicro at http://housecall.antivirus.com/explorer.html -sounds interesting for users who aren't too technical.