PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray Drive Problems

hsvman12
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi and happy new year!

I have just purchased a second hand blu ray drive which did not come with any software. I have installed it and put a cd rom in which it reads. However, I cannot play a blu ray.

I suspected I need to update the drivers, but could not find the drivers for it.

I also think I need blu ray software.

The drive is a hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n.

What I would like help with is am I on the right track to fix the problem of reading blu ray disks and where can I get the drivers and software required to read the blu ray discs?

Thanks for any help

Nick G
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
What model Blu ray drive?

CliveM
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
What model Blu ray drive?

Have a look at the manufactures website.

The Error Guy
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm guessing the drivers are all in order, at least enough for basic playback. If you are using Windows 7 this should be the case. If not I'll have a hunt, a quick look didn't turn up anything straight away. As for playback, Sony's DRM with blu ray is ridiculous. I had a small foray into BD but gave up due to licensing. It was easier to pirate that damn thing in HD than get a BD working on a computer. As far as I'm aware windows 7+ will play Blu ray natively with VLC now... although I'm not sure. As for OSX and Linux... no show, you'll have to rip the disk with MakeMKV, which defeats the point of the BD anyway since you'll end up with a .mkv file (same as downloading it.... so what's the point in the disk?)

Sorry I'm not of much help, I gave up on BD because it was impossible, especially at the time (as an early adopter) Someone might put you on the right track but as far as I know from when I did it BD will not play natively on other OS's and even on windows it's a pain. You'll have to buy something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD suite.

plod
01-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm guessing the drivers are all in order, at least enough for basic playback. If you are using Windows 7 this should be the case. If not I'll have a hunt, a quick look didn't turn up anything straight away. As for playback, Sony's DRM with blu ray is ridiculous. I had a small foray into BD but gave up due to licensing. It was easier to pirate that damn thing in HD than get a BD working on a computer. As far as I'm aware windows 7+ will play Blu ray natively with VLC now... although I'm not sure. As for OSX and Linux... no show, you'll have to rip the disk with MakeMKV, which defeats the point of the BD anyway since you'll end up with a .mkv file (same as downloading it.... so what's the point in the disk?)

Sorry I'm not of much help, I gave up on BD because it was impossible, especially at the time (as an early adopter) Someone might put you on the right track but as far as I know from when I did it BD will not play natively on other OS's and even on windows it's a pain. You'll have to buy something like Cyberlink's PowerDVD suite.while apple doesn't support or supply BD, playback is definitely possible without ripping. VLC supports playback in osx along with other media players. I will go as far too say that osx has as much built in support for BD as windows has.

hsvman12
01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Sorry, should've mentioned that I'm using windows xp.

The model of the drive is: hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n

I tried the manufacturers website and couldn't find any drivers. I think the drive is using basic drivers at the moment, not proper ones for the drive but I cant find them.

Tukapa
01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Have you got vlc player installed? More likely to be a software problem than a driver issue IMHO.

feersumendjinn
02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Isn't locked on the wrong region is it?
They are A, B, and C , NZ is B.
Possibly why the previous owner sold it; with DVD drives the drive locked on the last of 5 disk regions.
Sometimes they could be reset by changing the firmware.

Trev
02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Try this software Here (http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home) and try for drivers Here. (http://drivers.awdit.com/ht-lg/hl-dt-st-bddvdrw-ch20n/)
:)

Nick G
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
The model of the drive is: hl-dt-st bddvdrw ch20n

Although now I notice you put that it the first post as well. :o

This (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249204-32-h20l-reading-disks) thread seems to indicate its a common problem, which can usually be fixed by downloading the Toshiba UDF XP driver, which can be found from here (http://codecpack.co/download/Toshiba-UDF-XP-Driver.html)

Trev
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Also this drive may not be supported by Windows XP. Blu-Ray wasn't around then. The drive is made by Hitachi/LG.

dugimodo
03-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Yeah I had issues back when I was using XP, no native support for the Blu-ray file system in XP so you need to find software for that. I did find a work around at the time but I think it'd break the forum rules to post it.
My drive came with power DVD which lets me play movies but I find I just don't bother, the TV and PS3 do a far superior job at playing movies than the PC does.

hsvman12
07-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Although now I notice you put that it the first post as well. :o

This (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249204-32-h20l-reading-disks) thread seems to indicate its a common problem, which can usually be fixed by downloading the Toshiba UDF XP driver, which can be found from here (http://codecpack.co/download/Toshiba-UDF-XP-Driver.html)

Thanks for this, looks like I maybe able to get it to work on XP. I have tried the instructions for updating the driver, however I cannot find the folder or files it refers to:

You'll find a directory named like this: {1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}
Inside that directory you'll find two files:
- thdudf.inf
- thdudf.sys

Any thoughts on this?

Trev
07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Did you use the XP search for folders function ?

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for this, looks like I maybe able to get it to work on XP. I have tried the instructions for updating the driver, however I cannot find the folder or files it refers to:

You'll find a directory named like this: {1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}
Inside that directory you'll find two files:
- thdudf.inf
- thdudf.sys

Any thoughts on this?

You may have to show all fliles in my computer, they maybe hidden on C in a temp folder.

hsvman12
10-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes I've used xp search and also searched manually. I have "showed all hidden files".

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Dont know then

wainuitech
10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
What you can try, reload the software back in again, this time watch very carefully as to where its actually loading ( it may flash past quick) . Sometimes they dont always have the same folder name / locations.