PDA

View Full Version : Do Microsoft do free vhd images for the new Hyper V doohickey on windows 8

Morgenmuffel
01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Ok

Running windows 8 for a while now, don't see what all the fuss was about, works perfectly fine

Anyway I need to test a site in older version of windows (ok older versions of IE), previously I used VMEare or virtual PC, virtual PC mainly because you could download preconfigured OS images from microsoft.

Anyway i have the hyper V up and running but I don't have any installation disks for older versions of windows, so I was wondering if MS still did their free (and legal) preconfigured OS image downloads and if they work with hyper V

Hyper V just doesn't roll of the tongue like virtual PC or vmware does it.

And yes i have searched the MS download site, but their new onsite search and I are not seeing eye to eye at the moment

icow
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11575

These?

Morgenmuffel
01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
That would be them, or at least the virtual PC versions which from what i am reading should work under Hyper V, provided I remove the old VPC integration components (thats if they have them installed, if they dont Yay, if they do, oh Bugger)

pcuser42
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
If you only need older versions of IE or other browsers, Spoon.net works well - it streams applications from their website and even lets you run IE6 on Windows 8 :)

Morgenmuffel
04-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Cheers I might have a look at that, Pain in the arse, when something doesn't display correctly in an older browser, and it always takes forever as the debug tools for the old browsers are never as good as you need (ok make that for IE, Opera and firebug have had fairly good tools for a while)

Greven
04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Those images would be very handy. I assume they are locked down so that the only application you can run is Internet Explorer?
They killed XP mode & made sure that you can't use the VHD file in anything other than Virtual PC running on Win7.

There are still some crazy people still running DOS applications.

Agent_24
06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
No idea about the actual question but I read the thread title as "Hyper V Donkey" :lol: