PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7

Cicero
31-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I would like your opinion on the thought, that you must own a Nexus 7 to be a member of chat forum.:rolleyes:

QW.
31-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't own one. Tried one at JBHiFi and didn't like it for some reason.

kenj
31-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Shame on me...I just bought a new phone yesterday. A Samsung Galaxy Ace 2

Ken :banana

Gobe1
31-12-2012, 10:51 AM
out of my price range im afraid... i got a galaxy Y but it is a bit small

Cicero
31-12-2012, 10:56 AM
out of my price range im afraid... i got a galaxy Y but it is a bit small

Take hammer to piggy bank?

KarameaDave
31-12-2012, 11:11 AM
No Nexus, nix. No blinking signal in Karamea yet.
(Latest rumour 'soon'... {insert Tui catchphrase here})
So cell phones etc a bit pointless :waughh::waughh::angry

Cicero
31-12-2012, 11:22 AM
No Nexus, nix. No blinking signal in Karamea yet.
(Latest rumour 'soon'... {insert Tui catchphrase here})
So cell phones etc a bit pointless :waughh::waughh::angry

Time to move to civilisation?

gary67
31-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't have one

R2x1
31-12-2012, 11:39 AM
As far as I know, while the possession of a Nexus is traditional and recommended practice it is not yet compulsory for pressing the F1 key. On the other hand, any viewers having aPplexy will naturally have to be able to demonstrate that the symptoms are under control before partaking of the sage advice available. ;)
KarameaDave is advised to earnestly consider erecting a mighty tower and investing in some semaphore flags. This could possibly qualify for a grant if he undertakes to send all the news from Karamea as it occurs. This may entail 3 or 4 leisurely minutes of flag waving per month.
Flagman's stipend to be all the Harleys he can drink. This will be ferried in by a carrier mosquito every 5 years. ;)

Cicero
31-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't have one

We haven't decided yet, but you may have to leave the forum, R2 has the final vote.

Renmoo
31-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Thumbs up on the nexus 7, though I would highly recommend getting the 32GB model as 16GB or less is not really enough these days.

Cicero
31-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up on the nexus 7, though I would highly recommend getting the 32GB model as 16GB or less is not really enough these days.

32 gig or off with their heads.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm on my second. Started with the 8GB, moved up to the 32GB after the price came down. Only upgraded coz I wanted to keep a few movies *on* the device.

N7 definitely my fav tablet, just for the sheer portability of it! It's certainly deserving of all the rave reviews it's received, if you ask me.

Google really have done fantastically this year with their Nexus lineup, the N4 / N7 / N10 are all amazing devices, top of their class across the board!

Cicero
31-12-2012, 02:44 PM
With that, I expect you all to mortgage house at once.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Thankfully the N7's aren't as expensive as their iDevice counterparts, so no mortgage required here ;)

plod
31-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm on my second. Started with the 8GB, moved up to the 32GB after the price came down. Only upgraded coz I wanted to keep a few movies *on* the device.N7 definitely my fav tablet, just for the sheer portability of it! It's certainly deserving of all the rave reviews it's received, if you ask me.Google really have done fantastically this year with their Nexus lineup, the N4 / N7 / N10 are all amazing devices, top of their class across the board! Is the cloud not working for you like you said it would. If only metla was around to see your back pedal:)

plod
31-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Thankfully the N7's aren't as expensive as their iDevice counterparts, so no mortgage required here ;)idevice buyers usually don't have buyers remorse either

John H
31-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm on my second. Started with the 8GB, moved up to the 32GB after the price came down. Only upgraded coz I wanted to keep a few movies *on* the device.

(snip)

I am quite happy with my 16Gb model. I don't know why there is a fuss about getting the biggest model, when the Nexus 7 has unlimited storage possibilities - e.g. using cloud storage, but also using a device like a USB pen drive and adaptor as in the attached pic. The pen drive in the attachment is 16Gb, thus doubling the capacity of my Nexus 7. The pen drive was cheap (I forget what I paid for it), and the adaptor was $2 for two. Much cheaper than shelling out for the 32 Gb model (not that it was available when I bought my Nexus). Apologies for crap pic... The green colouring at bottom right on the screen is a reflection of the hedge outside.

R2x1
31-12-2012, 08:48 PM
idevice buyers usually don't have buyers remorse either

Fortunately the medical profession is striving to perfect a therapy that gives the iFlicted at least a glimmering of reality. Naturally such a severe personality redirection is only undertaken under very strict supervision. ;)

plod
31-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Fortunately the medical profession is striving to perfect a therapy that gives the iFlicted at least a glimmering of reality. Naturally such a severe personality redirection is only undertaken under very strict supervision. ;)i take it your iwife has buyers remorse with you

R2x1
31-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Sadly she's not my wife yet, but she has this other aberration of apple mania that really has got her in a deathly grip. In her favour, she has improved to the extent that her simcard frequents my android phone quite often. That does seem promising, but I avoid mentioning it lest she smite me a great smote. ;)

kahawai chaser
01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Seems then the nexuses has mesmerized many. Kind of a cheap dream come true. Though it seems Google gets credit, nothing much about the hardware manufacturers. Why not Motorolla as a trusted supplier? Or ramp them up to suit. Google spent a fortune for their patents.

Chilling_Silence
01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Is the cloud not working for you like you said it would. If only metla was around to see your back pedal:)

A hundred gigs worth of my music in the cloud would disagree with you there ;)

Cicero
01-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Seems then the nexuses has mesmerized many. Kind of a cheap dream come true. Though it seems Google gets credit, nothing much about the hardware manufacturers. Why not Motorolla as a trusted supplier? Or ramp them up to suit. Google spent a fortune for their patents.

Not to worry old boy, you will get one soon.:)

kenj
01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
What happens if you get a fine sunny day with no clouds Chill.

Seriously, how secure is data when stored in the clouds.

Then I think about it and realise I have been using a cloud based service for ages... Xtra Mail.

Ken

Chilling_Silence
01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Depends what sort of security you're concerned about? My music in the cloud? Probably more "secure" than on an iPod which can be lost or broken, or in physical CDs which can be stolen from my house.

Emails? Your email still travels between servers online where it *could* be intercepted, the only "concern" would be that the archived mail on a Google server could be broken into. If you use IMAP with your ISPs mail, the security "concern" is still the same. That said it's probably easier to get mail off your PC by infecting you with a virus / malware, or guessing your password for your account, as opposed to actually cracking into one of Googles servers they store mail on...

So no, not really concerned in the slightest :p

Cicero
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
You will like this.........I clicked on maps, it found my house, clicked on earphone icon, it said, ask for new location, asked for airport, it then proceeded to give me directions, amazing.

GameJunkie
01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
im very happy with my 32GB N7

wouldnt buy an Ipad

Cicero
01-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Do you think we should form a 32 GB club?, just to separate us from the lesser model people.

GameJunkie
01-01-2013, 09:49 PM
absolutely :D

SurferJoe46
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
If you can put a stick into it, what about PUPPY?

John H
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Gudday Joe. Hope you are on the mend? You will see that in your absence the usual nonsense and irrelevance has continued up here in RightSideUpLand. ;-)

Iantech
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Shame on me...I just bought a new phone yesterday. A Samsung Galaxy Ace 2

Ken :bananaI got one of those just prior to christmas, love it, its a great little phone. Beats the mini I had hands down. Hope you will like yours Ken.

Iantech
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Make the most of your 7" tablets everyone. Now apple have released their ipad mini which is also 7" they will soon be in court claiming they have a patent on 7" tablets and they want the proceeds from every other company who has made and sold 7" tabs.

SurferJoe46
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Well--- I'm sitting in the ER at the local medical facility here in Hamilton. Had an episode of atria fibrillation this AM and took to the doc as soon as possible. That is why I'm online right now. They'll keep me o-night for observation at least.

Having a set-to w/my VA doc who denies I ever had, have nor will ever succumb to AF. and she has redacted my cardiologist's prescriptions and changed my meds - mostly taking me off of them really - in an attempt to deny me my Agent Orange claim with the VA I think.

I've got poison pen letters to write and send copies to my congressman, the President and the whole VA headquarters to protest her fast-food medical practice. I only get 'One from column A and one from column B and no eggroll when I tell her what's going on or what I want her to check out.

I'm preparing mental notes yet on the wording and scathing verbiage I want to create the highest impact and results to my complaints.

But seriously - can L-based Puppy be run from a USB stick in my Nexus? Not that I want to - I just want to know.

johcar
04-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Make the most of your 7" tablets everyone. Now apple have released their ipad mini which is also 7" they will soon be in court claiming they have a patent on 7" tablets and they want the proceeds from every other company who has made and sold 7" tabs.

They might try, but they would lose again.

The iPad Mini is bigger than the N7 (making it far less pocketable/portable) and ultimately less desirable from anyone who can think for themselves. The only thing the iPad Mini has better than the N7 is screen colour saturation - but not so you would spend an additional couple of hundred dollars...

It will no doubt soon be superseded by the iPad 4 and iPad Mini 2, in order to maximise extraction of dollars from the gullible....

johcar
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Well--- I'm sitting in the ER at the local medical facility here in Hamilton. Had an episode of atria fibrillation this AM and took to the doc as soon as possible. That is why I'm online right now. They'll keep me o-night for observation at least.

Having a set-to w/my VA doc who denies I ever had, have nor will ever succumb to AF. and she has redacted my cardiologist's prescriptions and changed my meds - mostly taking me off of them really - in an attempt to deny me my Agent Orange claim with the VA I think.

I've got poison pen letters to write and send copies to my congressman, the President and the whole VA headquarters to protest her fast-food medical practice. I only get 'One from column A and one from column B and no eggroll when I tell her what's going on or what I want her to check out.

I'm preparing mental notes yet on the wording and scathing verbiage I want to create the highest impact and results to my complaints.

But seriously - can L-based Puppy be run from a USB stick in my Nexus? Not that I want to - I just want to know.

Hang in there Joe - this place ain't the same without you!!

Cicero
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Gudday Joe. Hope you are on the mend? You will see that in your absence the usual nonsense and irrelevance has continued up here in RightSideUpLand. ;-)

Indeed and still the same idiots complaining and reading none the less.

Cicero
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Well---

I am pretty sure you can.

I meant to pick up an adaptor, mini usb to normal.

And forgot.

SurferJoe46
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Old age has me doing the same things. Forgetting that is.

Sometimes I'm on a mission to do something and something shiny catches my eye and I get of on a different tangent.

What were we talking about?

KarameaDave
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Joe, best wishes for the New Year.
To answer your question, no.
This is because Puppy is compiled
to run on x86 or x86_64 processors.
Nexus7 is an ARM processor.
This forum page shows at least a discussion so you may get lucky one day.
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82847&sid=40ec633a45ff34f1ee8ba0adf6c08568

Ubuntu and others have ARM versions, though.

SurferJoe46
04-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Am I just imagining it or does a system like the Android actually have a lot less 'load-time' to get up and running? It seems that I can get my N7 cold booted six times to one W7 boot-up.

Ewwww - just had a 'belly shot' to keep me from getting blood clots while I'm here in the horse pistol. Oww! Owww! Oww! Oww!

Cicero
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Ewwww - just had a 'belly shot' to keep me from getting blood clots while I'm here in the horse pistol. Oww! Owww! Oww! Oww!

For goodness sake, we can't feel anything?

SurferJoe46
04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I've had those shots a few times now since I moved to Montana. I wonder if it's just a local requirement?

Cicero
04-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Anybody use the secondary cover on the screen?

I understand that it may not be needed?

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Secondary cover?

Renmoo
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Secondary cover?
Probably one of these: http://www.asus.com/Peripherals_Accessories/Eee_Pad_Accessories/Nexus_7_Travel_Cover/

Edit: Cicero - I do have one of the travel covers quoted in the link above encasing my Nexus 7.

SurferJoe46
05-01-2013, 03:26 AM
I maybe-shouldda opted for the case that was available for a few bucks when I ordered my N7 but don't regret not doing so.

Those old clear sheets for my Palm Clue were messy and stole responsiveness and feel to the screen. I don't imagine a screen protector would work well on this type of touch screen anyway, either.

Cicero
05-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Probably one of these: http://www.asus.com/Peripherals_Accessories/Eee_Pad_Accessories/Nexus_7_Travel_Cover/

Edit: Cicero - I do have one of the travel covers quoted in the link above encasing my Nexus 7.
I was thinking of the clear plastic that fits on screen, I have one on my cell, and you can't tell it is on.

johcar
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
In related news: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/us-retailer-pegs-nexus-7-dock-release-for-january-10th/

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Ah yeah I got that Travel cover on the one I imported from the US for my nephew, it's cool, but adds a lot of bulk.

No need for a screen "scratch cover" though, the glass is scratch resistant (Pretty sure it's made by Corning), but not Gorilla Glass. I've still taken to it with keys and screws and no issues.
I believe the Nexus 10 has Gorilla Glass 2, and I know that the Nexus 4 does. I think they left it off the N7 due to cost reasons.

Oh yeah I'd be keen as for a dock for mine!

Cicero
05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Why do I get deprived feeling, when I feel I am missing out?

When I open google, I conveniently get weather for Swannanoa, but also a couple of adds, can I remove them?

KarameaDave
06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
With photoshop, old chap, almost anything is possible.

:p
Although removing adds is nothing but subtraction, surely?

Cicero
06-01-2013, 09:47 PM
With photoshop, old chap, almost anything is possible.

:p
Although removing adds is nothing but subtraction, surely?

Very true Karamea mine, with your lips divine, question is, how to subtract.

KarameaDave
06-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Sadly, without one of my own, I'm just another voice in the wilderness.
Good are they?

Cicero
06-01-2013, 10:38 PM
How sad that you are not a member of the club.

We don't usually talk to outsiders.

In answer to your question, they do everything including talk.

John H
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
I just discovered a new use for the Nexus 7 using an app called Skitch. It is a free app that allows you to annotate images such as photos and maps with words, arrows, shapes, and text. You just draw on the screen - you can also start with a blank canvas rather than annotating an existing image. It makes me wonder why anyone would bother spending all that money on a Galaxy Note when it looks like you can do many of the same things for free on the Nexus 7. Skitch is available from Google Playstore. If you want to save your annotations/sketches, you need to also install Evernote, because Skitch saves to that app.

It looks like it would be really useful for placing names/notes on or alongside scanned photos.

Cicero
07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
I just discovered a new use for the Nexus 7 using an app called Skitch. It is a free app that allows you to annotate images such as photos and maps with words, arrows, shapes, and text. You just draw on the screen - you can also start with a blank canvas rather than annotating an existing image. It makes me wonder why anyone would bother spending all that money on a Galaxy Note when it looks like you can do many of the same things for free on the Nexus 7. Skitch is available from Google Playstore. If you want to save your annotations/sketches, you need to also install Evernote, because Skitch saves to that app.

It looks like it would be really useful for placing names/notes on or alongside scanned photos.

Thanks J, downloading as we speak.

John H
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
You're welcome.

John H
07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I have found Skitch doesn't work on the Nexus with a stylus. However you can add captions/annotations to pix and maps using the keyboard if you select the right menu option.

SanChippy
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
That would be nice as I already have one. One week later the "bigger" version with 32gb of memory came out a week later... :(

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah happened about 2-3 weeks after I got my original 8GB. Not the end of the world, not much can be done about it now. Such is life.

Still, glad I made the purchase :)

Gobe1
14-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I have seen a nexus 7, can i still be on the forum Cic?

Cicero
14-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I have seen a nexus 7, can i still be on the forum Cic?

You must at least touch one, that was the decision of the committee.

Cicero
14-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Went into Dickies to get the mini to normal USB adaptor, they didn't stock them, I am liking DS less and less.

Gobe1
14-01-2013, 02:31 PM
You must at least touch one, that was the decision of the committee.

well it so happens i did touch it, swmbo mum has one :D

Woohoo

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Haha welcome to the club then I guess? :D

Cicero, try this: http://www.expansys.co.nz/expansys-micro-usb-to-usb-otg-adapter-cable-234050/
You are trying to plug a USB Thumbdrive into your N7 yes?

Otherwise if you're just wanting to charge it or transfer files to / from your PC and the N7 you just want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CABDNX6001

Cicero
14-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Haha welcome to the club then I guess? :D

Cicero, try this: http://www.expansys.co.nz/expansys-micro-usb-to-usb-otg-adapter-cable-234050/
You are trying to plug a USB Thumbdrive into your N7 yes?

Otherwise if you're just wanting to charge it or transfer files to / from your PC and the N7 you just want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CABDNX6001

Great stuff CS, problem is, $2;50 for unit, $16 cartage, will look for local supply.

John H
14-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Are you interested in an adapter like the one I have Cic? See photo earlier in this thread. If so let me know and I will let you know the name of the US firm that supplies from Singapore. Cost about 2 US dollars for two, free postage. They may supply cables as well.

Cicero
14-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Are you interested in an adapter like the one I have Cic? See photo earlier in this thread. If so let me know and I will let you know the name of the US firm that supplies from Singapore. Cost about 2 US dollars for two, free postage. They may supply cables as well.

They look just the job J, would love info.

John H
14-01-2013, 08:49 PM
This is what I got: http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774

I don't need a pair of these but when I bought it, it was a pair or nothing - if you PM me your postal address I will send you the second one for nix.

Cicero
15-01-2013, 06:19 AM
This is what I got: http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774

I don't need a pair of these but when I bought it, it was a pair or nothing - if you PM me your postal address I will send you the second one for nix.

That's a bit tough J, making Nix out of a fellow member.