PDA

View Full Version : Internet timing out

nedkelly
30-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I have recently been having a problem with my internet timing out, mIRC drops all my networks, and my IM program also disconnects.
It use to be every few hours but just now I have had it drop off every few minutes which is very annoying for irc when I disconnect from networks and reconnect.
Nothing in my network has physically changed for a while now.
When I can find the diagram of my network I will post it.
Oh forgot, Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 x64

wainuitech
30-12-2012, 10:13 PM
When it drops out, do you have to reboot the router/ Modem, or does it come back on its own ?

Have you tried another Router/Modem ?

nedkelly
30-12-2012, 10:56 PM
It comes back on its own, I dont have another one, it replaced my old one that died.

wainuitech
30-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I assume that when it drops all internet to all devices/computers disappear ? If so then it sounds a little like a router / modem problem, or even the connection at your place ( lines coming in).

Normally if at a customers place I would swap out the router/modem, see if the problem still exists, if it stops the modem/router is the problem, if not then you have to look elsewhere.

Just because the modem/router is new doesn't mean there isn't a fault with it. Seen modem/routers brand new fail / faulty. Have you tried resetting the Modem/router or checked for any firmware upgrades ?

We had a similar problem here with Telstra cable a year or so back, did all the hardware tests and tracked it down to the connection ( Was the only thing left). In the end, after a bit of "friendly" ;) on the phone head banging on the desk :D - get someone here and check the connections, it was a corroded connection on the phone pole.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm going to presume its router overheating with this time of year.

Make / model?

nedkelly
30-12-2012, 11:50 PM
@Chill: TP-Link WR1043N
@Wainui: Is there a program that I can run to see exactly what happens when it pings out? Maybe have it running on 2 computers?

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Ummm... That doesn't do DSL does it? The TL-WR1043ND is only an AP. What firmware's on that? But what DSL router are you using in conjunction with it?

nedkelly
31-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I have just the N, not the ND and it's stock firmware. I still have my trusty AM300 as my modem

wainuitech
31-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Can you do a test please - this is to see if its the Router or the "trusty" modem :) When the interent drops next time, see if the computers can still talk to one another. (thats assuming you have shared folders etc).

Another quick test you can do, open a command Prompt, type in ipconfig make sure the gateway ( router) is showing and its actually giving you an IP address. If you get 169.254.xxx.xxx then theres no connection to the router.

When the internet drops, can you still access the router ?

What you need to do is find out where the problem actually is. By doing it one device at a time you're not wasting time looking for a problem thats elsewhere.

Re the ping program -- more than likely is, but try the manual method as I suggested, its quicker since its happening more often.

PS: your event logs will tell you when it loses contact as well.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I've just replaced my first ever AM300. They've drawing on a bit now, this one was 4 years old, overheating. Replaced with a DV120 and problems went away.

I'm not convinced that being able to ping the router will prove anything, basically the internet is dropping and it doesn't really matter if the router is power cycling or if it's just dropping the DSL link coz it's getting warm or whatever, it's still quite possibly going to need to be replaced.

Here's what I'd do:
Isolate the AM300, have JUST one device plugged in (Yeah it sucks, somebody is gonna be without internet for a bit, they can suck it up as you *need* to fix this) to the router directly and see if the problem persists.
If it does, point to the AM300
If it doesn't, point to the TP-Link

Finally, it's worth double-checking the line stats on the AM300, just in case something has gone funky with your line:
http://www.fixmybroadband.co.nz/disconnecting/

nedkelly
31-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Strange thing is I have not disconnected today, and the stats on the AM300 are great.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I have a Draytek DV120 I could loan you for a bit if you wanted, should these issues persist? You can use it to confirm if it's the router or not :)

nedkelly
31-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I still have not had any ping outs today.
I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

nedkelly
02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Hmm strange it appears to happen when my media server is turned on, im currently going through removing all excess programs from it.

nedkelly
04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Ok that was just strange, I turned on the media server and boom internet gone, started a ping to google.com and it failed, removed the ethernet cable from the switch for the media server and hey internet back.
I have swapped back to the RTL8169 instead of the Marvell one and changed the network port that is in being used in the switch.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Straaaange....

nedkelly
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Since I moved the Ethernet cable to the second NIC I have not had it drop at all.

decibel
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
The same IP address on two devices ???

nedkelly
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Doubt it, most stuff on my network has a static IP, the Marvell NIC is DHCP while the Realtek is static, and so is my main pc.

nedkelly
13-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Ok I thought the issue had gone away but in the last 30 minutes I have had over 10 pingouts, I even connected my MBP direct to the wireless network from my router bypassing my switch (which I thought might be causing the issue), It looked like it was ok but then it also pinged out.
Please help me fix this issue.
So my layout is as follows.
AM300 to TL-WR1043N
TL-WR1043N Eth1 to Family PC
TL-WR1043N Eth2 to 8 port Gigabit switch that goes to my brother's pc and a ITX pc that is running picture slideshow
TL-WR1043N Eth 3 to patch panel which goes to my room and into my Tenda 24 port switch

Currently there are only 2 pcs running in my house, my main pc and my media server and then my MBP.