PDA

View Full Version : Easy to Use Back Up Software

mark1978
29-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi,

I just need some advice, I have a 450GB external hard drive with all my children's photo's on it and video's. For the first time ever I want to back it up somehow? I have never backed up anything so this is quite new to me.
Any programs to recommend? What do I need?? Where do I back it up...

wainuitech
29-12-2012, 09:52 AM
If its only a simple backup of current data, the easiest way and completely free is Copy / Paste.

Select folders, Files etc copy --- open destination drive / location - paste.

If items are already on an external Drive then you either need a another external Drive or PC, or even a NAS.

If you wanted to back then up online someplace, it may cost a bit, depending on how much data there is, not to mention internet usage may go through the roof.

Iantech
29-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Syncback is good backup software. question is why do you need to backup a backup drive? All you can do is put a copy on either another backup drive, or copy them to the hard drive on your computer (which isnt really a practable option)

linw
29-12-2012, 10:48 AM
First off, congrats on deciding to get a copy of that irreplaceable data. You NEED to do it asap.

The 'how' bit is easy, as WT says. The 'where' is harder but the question has to be answered. The more conventional way is to have the primary data on a drive in the computer with the backup going on to the ext drive.

If your computer drive is too small you could upgrade it to a 1 or 2 TB drive and copy the photos etc to that and use the ext drive as the backup. Alternatively, you will have to get another ext drive to copy the treasures to.

Then you need to figure out how to save your files from a house fire or burglary! But, first, get a copy done.

Come back with any other questions/advice.

Richard
29-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I bought a Western Digital 2TB USB3 external drive. This was so easy to set up as it configured itself as a backup and transfers file automatically with no input from me. Absolutely magic. Photos and vids are also stored on DVD in other premises in case of fire, earthquake, tsunami, floods, or Armageddon.

mark1978
29-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Syncback is good backup software. question is why do you need to backup a backup drive? All you can do is put a copy on either another backup drive, or copy them to the hard drive on your computer (which isnt really a practable option)

I need to back up because am SO scared something will happen to this external drive that everything will be lost!

mark1978
29-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I bought a Western Digital 2TB USB3 external drive. This was so easy to set up as it configured itself as a backup and transfers file automatically with no input from me. Absolutely magic. Photos and vids are also stored on DVD in other premises in case of fire, earthquake, tsunami, floods, or Armageddon.

Wow your onto it! I have to admit I have a friend who has done this as well but I have been to lazy to do it :S

mark1978
29-12-2012, 12:04 PM
First off, congrats on deciding to get a copy of that irreplaceable data. You NEED to do it asap.

The 'how' bit is easy, as WT says. The 'where' is harder but the question has to be answered. The more conventional way is to have the primary data on a drive in the computer with the backup going on to the ext drive.

If your computer drive is too small you could upgrade it to a 1 or 2 TB drive and copy the photos etc to that and use the ext drive as the backup. Alternatively, you will have to get another ext drive to copy the treasures to.

Then you need to figure out how to save your files from a house fire or burglary! But, first, get a copy done.

Come back with any other questions/advice.

Thank you for the kind advice! I will look into buying another external drive for back up only and store this somewhere else.. :-)

mark1978
29-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I have 2 external drives at the moment, 2 seagates, one is 250GB and the other 450GB, the 250 has music etc and the 450 photo's and videos.. both sit on top of a shelve connected to the pc

wainuitech
29-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I have 2 external drives at the moment, 2 seagates, one is 250GB and the other 450GB, the 250 has music etc and the 450 photo's and videos.. both sit on top of a shelve connected to the pc That set-up while working is asking for trouble in the event of a disaster . :(

Its good that you want to back it up to someplace else. Many people think because data is on a external Drive its safe -- Its NOT.

Have a separate backup someplace else is good, because really, all an external drive is, is a normal HDD in a case. Some are 3.5" drives, others are simply laptop drives that only required to be plugged into a USB port, they can fail at anytime just like any other drive.

If a External drive is left plugged into a PC, it can be fried or damaged if something goes wrong with the Computer. Same if theres a break-in or worse, external drives can disappear along with the PC.

Nomad
29-12-2012, 01:01 PM
To be a bit safer you shouldn't back up the back-up drive. The backup drive should be backing up your usual daily use hard drives. The backup drive should be safely place somewhere else ...

You can backup your usual HDs to your 1, 2 or more external backup drives .... I use Syncback myself. Ie., on on the shelf NOT plugged to the PC and maybe one at a different address like a bank / safe custody box.

mark1978
29-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I hear you WT... Am looking at purchasing a separate external hard drive and keep it safe somewhere..

wainuitech
29-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Just re programs -- you have to be careful with some of them.

Meaning if you backup data, some will put the backups into their own format, and if you want to read any backed up data you cant actually open them without putting back everything. Some will simply compress data into a zip file. Thats why I mentioned easy way is to copy /paste.

If I do put in backup software I generally use Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/) - Its free, works over a LAN, and uses a zip format to save data, which means you can take the backup drive anywhere and read/ extract 1 single file if you want - has lots of other features as well.

pctek
29-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Syncback is good backup software.
+1
There is a pay version but the free one is fine, all you need.
You can copy and paste to begin with, but Syncback is good thereafter as it then only copies over anything new or altered. And doesn't do any weird backup file formats, it just does a copy/paste of what's new etc...

Make sure you have a copy on at least 2 separate drives.

Nomad
29-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I just use a software to do the copy/paste for me b/c I have many folders. A once click solution does it for me after it is set up. It syncs it so any files that is extra not from the source will be deleted (via option) and files not there will be copied over.

I don't use some programs b/c they have their own formats like WT say. What happens in the future if you get a compatibility issue esp if you upgraded the OS. I also don't use ZIP b/c what happens if a little part of it becomes corrupted, the whole ZIP file of everything could be unreadeable.

Iantech
29-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I need to back up because am SO scared something will happen to this external drive that everything will be lost!

I have 2 external drives at the moment, 2 seagates, one is 250GB and the other 450GB, the 250 has music etc and the 450 photo's and videos.. both sit on top of a shelve connected to the pcAhh, makes quite a difference when you know the full story. Keeping a drive plugged in is as good as having an internal drive, so having a backup is a very good idea as others have said. I think WT and others have provided good solutions so I wont add anymore as it would just be repeating what has been said. Dont put it off any longer. Good luck.

gary67
29-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Finding somewhere to store it away but still have access when you need it is the real problem

psycik
29-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Crashplan. Either paid to their cloud. Or if you have a friend with enough space, you can (for free) backup to their computer. Its all encrypted at your side - they can't see it, pretty much set and forget.

gary67
30-12-2012, 09:33 AM
But where do you store the offsite backup. I could now that I work in one place, but when I was a builder I was rarely in the same place for more than a few weeks and nowhere to store something like that. I'm not making excuses just pointing out that it's not always easy to accomplish short of renting a bank box

psycik
30-12-2012, 10:02 AM
This is is why you use a combination of local backups (for speed of restore) and cloud for offsite.

advena
08-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I happily use SugarSync for secondary backup and for synchronization. It was a terrific help when I recently bought a new laptop so I very happily recommend it.

FoxyMX
09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I have 2 external drives at the moment, 2 seagates, one is 250GB and the other 450GB, the 250 has music etc and the 450 photo's and videos.. both sit on top of a shelve connected to the pc

Where do you live? Not in Christchurch, I hope. Or anywhere else that has the odd wiggle.

dugimodo
09-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Microsofts Synctoy is a simple easy one as well. You just create folder pairs and tell it wether to sync one way or both then when you run it it will duplicate one folder to the other, and copy any extra files back the other way also of you set it for that.

I use it to keep my music collection synched between my NAS and my PC.