PDA

View Full Version : Power Verses TVNZ sell off

Frank_sumbody
29-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Things to do for 2013

Stop the sale of power stations.

The government should sell off TVNZ before the dead horse attracts anymore blowflies,
the people reading the news can not talk properly, their education is poor, (they can not work out there is Tasman Sea between New Zealand & Australia, the programs are rubbish.

gary67
29-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Even better would be sell of Parliament and replace it with Dick Dastardly and Muttley

Trev
29-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Even better would be sell off Parliament and replace it with Dick Dastardly and Muttley
Corrected that for you Gary67.
:)

Frank_sumbody
29-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Even better would be sell off Parliament and replace it with Dick Dastardly and Muttley

Now we are thinking (without fighting)

Interesting concept, do you think we could put our hands in our pockets to raise $10 million dollars for a feasibility study, as for me I can not afford a donations, not even afford 2012 Christmas presents, I even have to put my food on credit card until the holiday pay is dribbled out, I could cash in a bonus bond.

Frank_sumbody
29-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Interesting we have no other intelligent thinking on this one.

The question is how much will the power bills go up when the power stations are sold off, as for the TV once you get to zero worth watching programs on TV, If TVNZ is sold off, it can only get better. and maybe help the Moari off in the process (with water wrights)

WalOne
29-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Difficult to attract the attention of the intelligentsia when the title of the thread is misspelt and therefore doesn't make sense.

Digby
29-12-2012, 09:51 PM
The thing is that selling TVNZ would not raise much money.

If I had any spare cash I would certainly not buy any TVNZ shares due to the way they run things and that TV3 is always in the **** financially, free tv may be a sunset industry.

The government wants to sell the power companies to raise some money and build up our sharemarket.

Frank_sumbody
30-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Difficult to attract the attention of the intelligentsia when the title of the thread is misspelt and therefore doesn't make sense.

oh dear how sad, would it please you if I shoot myself in the head

Frank_sumbody
30-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Dear Moderator
Sorry for my last comment, but some people need to grow up & get over it, WHERE IN THE RULE BOOKS DOES IT SAY ANY MEMBER THAT USES WRONG SPELLING WILL GET BAND FROM THIS FORUM?

personally I could not give a toss what spelling other members use here, so long as I dont see four, six or seven asterisk in a line and it makes us think of that over used word that may be ending in ed or ing.

I just do not see the point on endless picking on other members with trivial dribble, gary67 replied with a bit of humor above so I gave it a bit of humor back.

Zippity
30-12-2012, 04:21 AM
so we are now talking music?

pctek
30-12-2012, 07:57 AM
The maori were trying to stop it for the last year with their water rights claim.
They failed.
The government is going to sell them and there is nothing we can do about it now.
They are not interested in TV.

So we might as well get over it and move on. Flogging a dead horse doesn't accomplish anything.

paulw
30-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Dear Moderator
Sorry for my last comment, but some people need to grow up & get over it, WHERE IN THE RULE BOOKS DOES IT SAY ANY MEMBER THAT USES WRONG SPELLING WILL GET BAND FROM THIS FORUM?

personally I could not give a toss what spelling other members use here, so long as I dont see four, six or seven asterisk in a line and it makes us think of that over used word that may be ending in ed or ing.

I just do not see the point on endless picking on other members with trivial dribble, gary67 replied with a bit of humor above so I gave it a bit of humor back.

+1. I get rather sick of the spelling and grammar Nazis who occupy this group..

bk T
30-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Even better would be sell of Parliament and replace it with Dick Dastardly and Muttley

+ 1 + 1

And, get all those *&*^%^ in there to go out and get a real job.

gary67
30-12-2012, 09:01 AM
The government wants to sell the power companies to raise some money and fill their own bank accounts.

Fixed that for you

Zippity
30-12-2012, 09:18 AM
the correct word in "banned" not "band"

the words have two different and separate meanings :(

just because I haven't dropped to your standards of spelling doesn't make me wrong - let alone, right

The Error Guy
30-12-2012, 12:47 PM
To join in on this flame war I think spelling is important, it's a dying art being able to spell correctly and appropriately. That being said, there is no need to be a nazi with small grammatical errors or misspellings. I do them all the time unwittingly. We all know what frank meant by banned/band so lets move on. If it's a consistent error that is being made then one should politely inform the user of the wrongdoing in a way that will educate them, not make them feel like an O/C's sempron running Crysis. In other words, a damn hot situation where they are probably going to cark it after 10 mins.

I'd rather they sold off TVNZ, TV's terrible anyway. It's not going to get worse. The stations sold off what they could with terrible programming and advertising.

WalOne
30-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I agree with Zippity where he pointed out banned and band have two different and separate meanings.

Exactly the point of my post where although I called it a miss-spelling (the thread is titled Power Verses where it should have been Versus) - an incorrect use of words.

I hoped for some notable Salman Rushdie-like dissertation (Satanic Verses). It was not to be. Should anybody have to mind read what a contributor really means? If it's a spelling or grammatical error, probably fair enough. But wrong usage of words does not contribute to understanding, or communicating.

For the record, Frank posted "Interesting we have no other intelligent thinking on this one." All I really suggested was it was "difficult to attract the attention of the intelligentsia when the title of the thread [uses an incorrect word] and therefore doesn't make sense."

Cato
30-12-2012, 09:11 PM
The government should sell off TVNZ before the dead horse attracts anymore blowflies,
the people reading the news can not talk properly, their education is poor, (they can not work out there is Tasman Sea between New Zealand & Australia, the programs are rubbish.

What exactly do you mean by that?

goodiesguy
30-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Do people actually still watch TVNZ (TV1 & 2)?

I avoid those channels at all costs, it's just the same movies over and over, and constant 3rd rate American Sitcoms. TV3 isn't much better but they ocasionally have something on that's insteresting. I haven't watched FOUR in ages either, I got sick of having to wait for six months to get the latest Family Guy and South Park episodes, and It looks like crap (even on freeview) and really needs to be in High def.

Cato
31-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Do people actually still watch TVNZ (TV1 & 2)?

I avoid those channels at all costs, it's just the same movies over and over, and constant 3rd rate American Sitcoms. TV3 isn't much better but they ocasionally have something on that's insteresting. I haven't watched FOUR in ages either, I got sick of having to wait for six months to get the latest Family Guy and South Park episodes, and It looks like crap (even on freeview) and really needs to be in High def.

What other options do we have??
The Box isn't worth a toss either. Same repeat episodes of Law & Order, Monk, NYPD Blue, the Simpsons, the A-Team, Malcolm in the Middle, and that damned CSI crap.

AND OMG! The whole weekend is fully of damn Simpsons and wrestling... You'd think there'd be something decent to watch! :(

Sky Movies is the same 4 movies played 3 times a day on two different channels, three times a week...

SoHo is the only thing that's bearable but everything is still repeated thrice a day. Do we really need that with MySky?

Meh, screw TV life is too short for it.

dugimodo
31-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I can't see that selling TVNZ would improve it all all, as CATO pointed out we already have commercial channels offering nothing of value over TVNZ.
We would all like better channels, more choice, cheaper power, etc etc but I think sometimes we need to remember we live in a small country with a small market and can't expect the same kind of service offered in places with much higher population densities.
As for sky - I'm not a sports fan and consequently see no value at all in it. If I could pick and choose what channels and programs I wanted maybe, but as it stands every standard "package" is padded out with 99% crap I have no interest in.

Myself I think it's just a cost of living here and I think it's worth it. We shouldn't bankrupt ourselves as a nation just to have better entertainment and services. Not being in an overcrowded country is one of the greatest things about living here in my opinion and something we should not be in a hurry to change.

And sometimes I myself am guilty of being a spelling nazi despite often making mistakes myself. I think the main thing I'd like is for people to read things back to themselves to see if they make sense before posting. It's a lot easier to overlook errors when the meaning is clear.

Here's a proposal for someone with more motivation than me, make it illegal to repeat the same TV series more than twice in a 5 year period (me I'd make it 10 but I'm trying to make it workable). After all we own TVNZ right ?

Digby
31-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Seeing as how most of our television programs come from the UK or the USA is television any better there?
Do people there get sick of reality programs. kitchen programs and repeats?

As for living in a boring empty country being great, I don't agree.
If we had 3 times the population we would still not be over crowded.

gary67
01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Seeing as how most of our television programs come from the UK or the USA is television any better there?
Do people there get sick of reality programs. kitchen programs and repeats?

As for living in a boring empty country being great, I don't agree.
If we had 3 times the population we would still not be over crowded.

I disagree, it's already getting overcrowded, If we could have the pick of the UK programs, drop anything American or Australian we would improve our TV viewing by a huge percentage

Trev
01-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Here is a statistic for you. If all the worlds population stood together shoulder too shoulder they would only fill up the state of Texas.

zqwerty
01-01-2013, 09:19 AM
30 years ago it was the Isle of Wight.

Terry Porritt
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Here is a statistic for you. If all the worlds population stood together shoulder too shoulder they would only fill up the state of Texas.

That is why Texas wants to secede from the union, they don't want to stand shoulder to shoulder in the worlds' poo...........

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/could-texas-really-secede-from-the-union-the-answer-is/

paulw
01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
I disagree, it's already getting overcrowded, If we could have the pick of the UK programs, drop anything American or Australian we would improve our TV viewing by a huge percentage

An lose most TV viewers. Can't stand the pommy TV except for Dr Who and Top Gear

Digby
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I disagree, it's already getting overcrowded

Where is it overcrowded ?

So what shows are on UK or USA or Aussie tv are there that we should have here that we don't ?

the_bogan
01-01-2013, 08:55 PM
An lose most TV viewers. Can't stand the pommy TV except for Dr Who and Top Gear

Don't forget, BBC america is/has been doing a bit of Doctor Who

paulw
02-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Don't forget, BBC america is/has been doing a bit of Doctor Who

True. But unless you download it you won't know it exists..

Digby
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
This is becoming 3 threads in one

Selling off TVNZ
TV programming
NZ's lack of population

(and maybe Dr Who)

gary67
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Where is it overcrowded ?

So what shows are on UK or USA or Aussie tv are there that we should have here that we don't ?
Time team
Documentaries
play school

paulw
02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Time team
Documentaries
play school

Time Team is on Sky.

Trev
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Good programme.

Frank_sumbody
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Buying DVD from the UK, Yes well NZ is about to loose out on yet another $100 worth of credits thanks to the dead entertainment on free to air TV these holidays, I wonder how many other are going with this trend.

Frank_sumbody
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
just quickly reading the other posting and not picking on anybody (because I am not sort of joker, unless someone burns off a bit more of my fuse, in which case it is not picking)

I would think it was cheaper to make a hydroelectric power station than a TV network covering 99% of New Zealand.

Digby
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Depends on how big the hydro station is.
They put them in small streams, rivers and big huge ones like the Clyde dam that take years to build.

I find that I hardly watch tv these days.
And I used to get really annoyed when they take six weeks off at the holiday times!
News and current affairs stops!

Havn't they heard of staggered holidays?

gary67
02-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Time Team is on Sky.

For those too mean to pay for endless repeats on Sky?

paulw
03-01-2013, 08:47 AM
For those too mean to pay for endless repeats on Sky?

Downloads then and they will be way more up to date than Sky..