PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder problem

QW.
28-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in chat.

Anyway, we purchased a Panasonic DMR-XW390GZK DVD recorder from JBHiFi a few days ago. Have got working to some degree but cannot get the remote control to work with the TV. The TV is a 32 inch Sanyo LCD32XZ11. Have read the manual and tried all of the codes to make the remote work with the TV but still haven't had any luck.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Paul.Cov
28-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Some models have bizarre codes. Sometimes there's a failsafe code to program the remote for some brands.
If the TV is very new, perhaps it's set to a newer coding.

My book (for an older model) says to point the remote at the TV. Hold the Remotes ON button for the TV, and simultaneously press 2 and 1 (and release the On button). OR repeat with 54/55/56 codes until you can change channels on the TVB with the recorders remote.

THe remote will have two ON buttons. Are you holding the right one?

Might also be worth checking you haven't locked the remote into HOLD mode with your playing around (Hold OK and Return for a while to set / reset Hold)

inphinity
28-12-2012, 09:38 PM
What makes you think the Panasonic DVD Recorder remote will operate the Sanyo TV?

Trev
28-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Personally I wouldn't bother. Just use each appliances own remote. I have 6 remotes on a table in front of where I sit and just use the appropriate one when necessary. Bought a programmable Logitech remote a few years ago. Gave up trying to program it and found it is just as easy using the individual remotes.
:)

kahawai chaser
28-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Try a universal remote, pretty cheap from trademe or ebay.

dugimodo
29-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a logitech harmony, it's great once you set it up but I haven't gotten around to reprogramming it since replacing some of my gear because it's a bit of a pain in the butt to do.
Currently I'm like trev and have a collection of remotes.

I never liked the code based remote setup, such a nuisance to set in many cases. You push a button maybe hundreds of times trying to find the right code then it works but you've lost count....

Paul.Cov
29-12-2012, 01:58 PM
What makes you think the Panasonic DVD Recorder remote will operate the Sanyo TV?

The owners manual.

It's a really nice feature, and helps minimise the remote clutter.

There's a section on the Panasonic remote with the following controls specific to a TV [ on/Off, Channel Up/Down, Volume Up/Down, and Input Source ]

The remote is pre-programmed to use the correct codes for dozens of different models / makes. All lthat's needed is for the user to key in the code that tells the remote which set of TV codes are to be used... so it's actually a universal TV remote, and a dedicated Panasonic Recorder remote as well.

pctek
29-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Panasonic DMR-XW390GZK DVD recorder remote control [will not work with] Sanyo LCD32XZ11.
Forget it, use each devices remote for the one it's designed to. Even so-called universal remotes often have issues being 100%.

QW.
30-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Have tried everything suggested here and cannot get the remote to work the TV.