PDA

View Full Version : Resource conflict error when installing PCI modem

Tukapa
25-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi all

Merry Xmas, hope everyone is well.

I have an ex-lease IBM Thinkcentre desktop (running Win XP Pro) which I am preparing to give to somebody who has a really really old and slow PC.

They are still on dial-up and while they may move to broadband sometime in the New Year, in the meantime they still need dial up access.

There is a PCI riser card in this desktop and a full height PCI slot on the riser so I threw a 56k modem I had here in and fired the machine back up. It beeped during boot and came up with the following error;

ERROR
1806: PCI/PNP Error! Resource Conflict - PCI in slot 03
Bus: 0A, Device: 09, Function:00

When it booted into Windows it did not recognise the modem at all (no found new hardware popup and I couldn't force it to see it through device manager).

I have been into the Bios as I thought I may be able to change some settings in there but there is nothing in the Bios that I can see that allows to me change anything relevant to this error.

My research shows that it is a clash with the onboard network card but of course I cannot remove that.

It seems form my research that lots of people have had this issue adding cards to the Thinkcentre but I can't find any resolution out there.

If anybody has any pointers it would be appreciated.

Thanks and enjoy your time with friends and family.

Terry Porritt
25-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd have thought that there would be an option in BIOS to disable onboard LAN. Also look to see if there is an option to disable onboard com1 serial port or change its IRQ.

Tukapa
26-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Well bugger me!

I played around with settings yesterday before posting my original thread.

Nothing worked - still came back with the error time and time again no matter what I did.

Fired up the forum this morning, thought I would go hunting through the Bios again and bugger me if it didn't do the add new hardware thing first pop, installed the modem and now the modem and onboard network card are playing happily together.

No more resource conflict error.

Now I'm not sure what happened as when I turned it off and had given up hope yesterday it was spitting out the error time and time again. Maybe the extended time powered down and removed from the mains reset something - it's all I can think of.

So in short - thanks for your input - enjoy the rest of your time off (if you have any) and I'm not going to touch settings on this thing again!

linw
26-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Had something similar happen to my tablet. I was flashing stuff and after that it refused to boot. Left it overnight, and without any real hope, powered it up whereupon it started up fine! So, if people say there are no green elves we know what to say to them!!