PDA

View Full Version : Looking for computer builder in Christchurch

Vince
24-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I am eager to receive proposals for a middle of the road desktop computer.
No monitor,
Not for gaming
No "huge" hard drive 500GB is enough.
Possibly no CD. or DVD. drives.
Quality parts, not cheap and nasty!

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Why not DIY?

Vince
25-12-2012, 04:35 PM
:help:Unfortunately I have neither the energy nor the time to be able to do it.:help:

Chilling_Silence
25-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Bummer that PBTech aren't in Chch otherwise I'd suggest them :-/

pctek
25-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Computer Lounge, they ship free.

DeSade
25-12-2012, 07:45 PM
You must be really pressed.
A computer like that would take maybe an hour to build tops.
Cable management would add 30 mins or so if unlucky

Vince
25-12-2012, 09:33 PM
You are assuming that I know as much as you do about hardware. I don't know anything about motherboards for instance, or chip sets, or drivers.
The learning time is prohibitive.

I have never met anyone intelligent enough to teach with enough speed for me to grasp, so I would have to learn it by myself and
I was raised by my parents to fail always.

ChazTheGeek
25-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I built a PC. The one in my signature I built. I'm no pro but I could do it.
I fix my friends PC's and family PC's. They turn out good too. I may be 15 but I can still build a PC!
You may or may not want me to do it I don't know....
Spose it could go on my CV :D

Vince
25-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't pay in advance of delivery. I would pay in full by internet banking immediately on delivery of a working computer.
Study my original post and send me a proposal including price; by private message.
I want no software, except possibly an OS.

Could you use the mid tower box that I am using, a Dell Dimension 4600-i. How long would I be without the use of it?
Quality parts, not cheap and nasty, means parts that will last. Not the fastest, or most fully featured.

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't pay in advance of delivery. I would pay in full by internet banking immediately on delivery of a working computer.

I think you're dreaming, unless you setup an account with another supplier as a [b]company[b/], most all do payment in full prior to delivery for residential. Even then, if you're buying less than a handful, they'll still want payment prior to delivery.

Alex B
26-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Sure if you're dealing with a business pay before, but if you're dealing with someone on the net who you don't know who built a computer once....then yeah I'd want to make sure the thing worked before putting money down. I personally think you're better off buying a pre built box from computer lounge. Or if it's just for running word etc buy the likes of an HP 6200 Small form factor PC that come with a 3 year onsite waranty.

Vince
26-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Anyone who watches "Fair Go" knows that you never pay for goods not received.
Without the guarantees provided by Visa, or PayPal I have no way of knowing that I won't loose my money.

I am largely disabled, and living in a rest home my income after rest home fees is $42 per week. I have to be frugal and cautious.

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Anyone who watches "Fair Go" knows that you never pay for goods not received.
When was the last time you went to McDonalds? They'll disagree with that statement I'm sure. On Fair Go / Target they're more talking about services rendered, such as hiring somebody to build a deck, paying up-front. I'm yet to see a "Guy Fawkes Special" where they let you take the fireworks out, you use them and "make sure they make a big enough explosion", then return to the store to pay for them. That's not how the world works.

Buy from a reputable retailer, problem solved.
Even on TradeMe 9/10 people won't ship until they've received payment.

Just order one of these then, it'll do what you want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013

Iantech
26-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Whats your budget Vince?

pctek
26-12-2012, 08:02 AM

No-one will do that for you. As has been said, fair Go are talking about tradesmen, doing large jobs, where you make progress payments instead.

Computer Lounge are totally trustworthy and have a good reputation, google it, they won an award this year for it.
They have excellent after sales service too, so no worries if something should go wrong later - they honour warranties and go out of their way to assist.

You would do worse elsewhere.
Pay it with your credit card - that way, you are safe, no goods and Visa do refund you, you know.
If you are that paranoid.

Nomad
26-12-2012, 09:29 AM
You could just go to Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming, Dick Smiths if you want to pay at collection of goods. For simple uses, they would fit the bill. They are more expensive and less bang for the buck. Even the second hand sub $100 computers might be ok. We have a old Dell - Seagate hard drive, a Dell motherboard with the same chipset audio, lan etc... many of the used items are the ex corporate so they are a bit better than the consumer range.

In perspective, when I am building a computer for family here, young people that is, but are your average Joe/Jane needs. I basically put a system together for $400 max. For average needs, the chipset and the features doesn't matter. They could get something older but still new. Maybe just a standard reliable chipset "brand/line". 1x HDD support and USB 2.0 ports, builtin video card, modest 4GB RAM nowadays, pick a Seagate or Western Digital HDD - DONE.

ChazTheGeek
26-12-2012, 10:41 AM
That would save a bit of trouble...

ChazTheGeek
26-12-2012, 10:49 AM
What is your budget and do you want it futureproofed?
Do you want expansion for later improvements?

Brucem
26-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I have had my last two desktops built by PC's Unlimited in Washington Way, off Moorhouse Avenue near the old Railway station. I have had no problems with them.

ChazTheGeek
26-12-2012, 11:22 AM
And there is a Dragon PC shop near the Bush In Mall.
Here is a PC you may like - http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/pk.aspx?879&ssid=

Nick G
26-12-2012, 11:27 AM
And there is a Dragon PC shop near the Bush In Mall.
You mean 'opposite the Church Corner Countdown' :D

ChazTheGeek
26-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah boy!

pctek
26-12-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/297771/?

** (2 stars):

These stores are generally unrecommended. They are at times problematic when it comes to RMA services taking very long. It is relatively rare for these stores, but they sometimes try to sell off 2nd hand goods as new. *** WARNING *** - These stores are relatively susceptible to an economic recession such as the one we are currently in as they generally rely on a high volume low profit system. There is a chance that they may shut down and that you might lose your money!

DragonPC (www.DragonPC.co.nz)

forrest44
26-12-2012, 03:27 PM
playtech.co.nz had some good systems for very reasonable prices last time I looked

linw
26-12-2012, 03:39 PM
For some reason, is a laptop out of the question? They take up much less space and lower end spec ones are quite cheap as Chill showed in his link. Not too late for the Boxing Day bargains!!

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Precisely!

gary67
27-12-2012, 08:30 AM
For some reason, is a laptop out of the question? They take up much less space and lower end spec ones are quite cheap as Chill showed in his link. Not too late for the Boxing Day bargains!!
My guess and its only my guess is for wont of using a real mouse, full size keyboard and decent screen size. I know you can do this on a laptop but its more of an abortion than a real working machine in comparison, by the time you have all the things plugged in

dugimodo
27-12-2012, 09:07 AM
My guess and its only my guess is for wont of using a real mouse, full size keyboard and decent screen size. I know you can do this on a laptop but its more of an abortion than a real working machine in comparison, by the time you have all the things plugged in

Not so much these days, the desktop market has been shrinking in favour of laptops etc for quite some time. It's only really gamers, enthusiasts, and power users who have much need for a desktop these days.
If you have a docking station and/ or a monitor stand the laptop can fit under it's no worse than a desktop which has to have all those same plugs and cables anyway.

I have a huge full tower case that barely fits under my desk and spent several thousand on the hardware, but if my requirements were the same as the OP I'd probably buy a laptop. At work I have one with a docking station hooked to dual monitors, kb, and mouse. Does the Job very well. I've even abandoned my 2nd PC in favour of a tablet and smartphone.

pctek
27-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Not so much these days, the desktop market has been shrinking in favour of laptops etc for quite some time.
sigh, yes, soon to be extinct I'd say.
I'd say the same thiong for laptops too.

We will all have our "device" soon, tablet/phone thing....it will be the phone, txt, internet, eftpos card, credit card, IRD number etc all in one.
We will all have to use it for paying things, banking, whatever.

How depressing, I loved my PC. But it's why I haven't upgraded for a couple of years. It kind of sucks, the big thing is all the useless old school rewritten games for your lame device now, just when graphics were getting good for gaming....

Iantech
27-12-2012, 12:22 PM
sigh, yes, soon to be extinct I'd say.
I'd say the same thiong for laptops too.

No, I dont think so. I cant see graphic designing or video editing for example being done on a cell phone or tablet. Desktop systems are still the most popular if you want to do more than internet browsing, email, a bit of doc creation etc.

Vince
28-12-2012, 11:21 AM
When was the last time you went to McDonalds? They'll disagree with that statement I'm sure. On Fair Go / Target they're more talking about services rendered, such as hiring somebody to build a deck, paying up-front. I'm yet to see a "Guy Fawkes Special" where they let you take the fireworks out, you use them and "make sure they make a big enough explosion", then return to the store to pay for them. That's not how the world works.

Buy from a reputable retailer, problem solved.
Even on TradeMe 9/10 people won't ship until they've received payment.

Just order one of these then, it'll do what you want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013

""I'm yet to see a "Guy Fawkes Special" where they let you take the fireworks out, you use them.""
You must be feeling embarrassed, you really put your foot in it there.
There is a difference between purchasing goods for use and, to be consumed!

And here,_
""Even on TradeMe 9/10 people won't ship until they've received payment.""
Trademe offers consumer protection.

As for this, it'll do what you want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013

I had a look. It might be enough for primary school kids, but its specifications are certainly not up to the demands of today's' software.
With Thunderbird, Firefox, Skype, Avast antivirus, Comodo Firewall, Smart Defrag, Spybot S&D, MusicMatch, 2 cardfiles loaded and 10GB of music files.
I don't think it would be able to function!

My current machine is much more powerful (Pentium 4-2.4GHz and 1.5 GB of RAM) and it has trouble coping.

My disability is physical (arthritis - mini stroke) not mental and my after expenses income does reflect my savings. Don't ask

Iantech
28-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Vince, whats your budget? Pretty sure I can supply (or build) one to suit your requirements.

Vince
28-12-2012, 11:50 AM
My budget is I'm not sure at the moment. A friend who had delayed access to 4 spare boxes was talking $300 plus. Unfortunately, due to the actions of another those boxes have become un-available. That is why I am trying here.

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2012, 01:53 PM
""I'm yet to see a "Guy Fawkes Special" where they let you take the fireworks out, you use them.""
You must be feeling embarrassed, you really put your foot in it there.
There is a difference between purchasing goods for use and, to be consumed!
Doesn't matter. Fair Go / Target discuss tradesmen predominantly. Unless you're a business, you ain't gonna get 30 days to pay in the PC world, just not gonna happen. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you that you're being unrealistic in your expectations.

As for this, it'll do what you want: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013

I had a look. It might be enough for primary school kids, but its specifications are certainly not up to the demands of today's' software.
With Thunderbird, Firefox, Skype, Avast antivirus, Comodo Firewall, Smart Defrag, Spybot S&D, MusicMatch, 2 cardfiles loaded and 10GB of music files.
I don't think it would be able to function!

My current machine is much more powerful (Pentium 4-2.4GHz and 1.5 GB of RAM) and it has trouble coping.
That's a single-core machine, and the RAM will be the prohibiting factor, as well as other things such as HDD speeds making it "slow".

It'll be sufficient for all of the above, worst-case scenario you upgrade it a little later and put some more RAM in it. For the aforementioned software / usage scenario, that's all you'll need to ever do.

Nomad
28-12-2012, 02:38 PM
My PC is almost 4yr old within about 10 days, haven't upgraded since day one. It's a 2.33Ghz P4, 4GB RAM but it is a Quad Core. I even use it for Photoshop. We have a Dual Core PC downstairs probably 6yrs old, 1GB RAM never slowed us down. Also a laptop prob 6yr old now to date, I bought used, 1.6Ghz Dual Core, P4, 4GB RAM. I run Firefox, Skype, MS Office, MSN Messenger the older version before MS and Skype got together - all at the same time. Even runs an older version of Photoshop ok too.

Iantech
29-12-2012, 09:47 AM
My budget is I'm not sure at the moment. A friend who had delayed access to 4 spare boxes was talking $300 plus. Unfortunately, due to the actions of another those boxes have become un-available. That is why I am trying here.Cant do anything new for even close to that price, in fact I doubt you could get a desktop unit with any sort of quality for less than double that really.

Vince
29-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I wrote a reply this morning, I guess it got lost when I restarted.

$600.00 sounds reasonable. What hardware would you include, ie. RAM, HDD?
I hear that onboard graphics and sound are good these days, would you agree?
Telstra Clear sold me a broadband router, presumably that makes an internal modem unnecessary.
Have I forgotten anything?

No monitor,
Not for gaming
No "huge" hard drive 500GB is enough.
Possibly no CD. or DVD. drives. I checked, 64 bit drivers are available for Win7, probably will be for 8, for the drives I have.
Quality parts, not cheap and nasty! Meaning they should reasonably be expected to be still working in 5 years.

jonovw
29-12-2012, 05:14 PM
i built a $650 computer as a media center and used integrated sound. works fine unless u have a real amp and audiophile speakers and stuff. you can play many games and full hd videos etc on amd apu's.

Vince
29-12-2012, 06:35 PM
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013[/url]

I just found that tab still open. The special you recommended is only available "in store", in Auckland!

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2012, 06:52 PM
^^ I ordered 2 of them on separate occasions in the last month, online, so if you wanted then just place the order and it works.

Vince
29-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Take another look
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKASU221013

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I did it anyways and got it shipped...

Nomad
30-12-2012, 10:43 AM
IMO around even $600 you still have to cost cut. $600 isn't much really. Windows could be least $100, the 500GB could be $75 or around $100. If you get from a store as a setup box it might be a bit more than individually sourcing the parts and putting the system together yourself. Plus there is the freight for a no. of stores like PBtech.

For free postal and for a set-up box Computer Lounge Lifestyle systems quotes at $1299. But that does have a good case and good components.

But .. this is decent combo -
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18249
you just need to add a case and power pack and a hard drive, they don't have 500GB, only 1TB at around $110. Assuming they may give you free or $50 for building the computer and as always free postel to your address. But again you still have to add Windows too... Maybe you could email them for a custom order that they can quote you but me thinks it'll be $800 min.

PBtech's decent system boxes are around similar price too with no software... and no postal. IMO if you want 5yrs out of it and quality parts this is a fair price...
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB4010W&name=PB-Family-PC-4010W-Latest-AMD-A10-QUAD-Core-5800K-
That's $599 ex GST. The cheapest might be Dual Core, AMD etc .. but it's still ~$500 but has no Windows.
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB1412&name=PB-1412-Upgrade-Box-intel-Pentium-Dual-core--G645-

I think that b/c that person's spare boxes fell thru ... you could get a used computer on TM but obviously it may not be as reliable. But it does meet your price critieria.

Nomad
30-12-2012, 11:04 AM
That CL combo is the cheapest that they have online. But if you contact them they may be able to provide you a custom build reduce the RAM down to make it cheaper, add a case and power pack, with windows etc.. but the case and power would alone be ~$150 (their website case/psu combo) and ~$100 for the Windows me thinks. The reduce RAM won't substntially make it cheaper. But the PBtech is pretty much that IMO $600 ex. GST.