PDA

View Full Version : Genius modem and phone

JJJJJ
24-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Orcon switched me to a Genius modem and telephone last Thursday without any notification.The only indication I got was that my telephone failed to work. I managed to get it working and was satisfied.
Then on Friday morning my modem wouldn't work. The light stayed out. I managed to contact Orcon by cellphone after listening to their music for half an hour. Then their "expert" told me I wasn't on VOIP (?). When I insisted I was she put me on hold for another half an hour. Eventualy she agreed I was , but nobody had told them. A "push of a button" and my blue light came on and everything worked.
My only query now is speed. I used to download at 10 Mbps and upload at 1 Mbps. Now my downloads are much the same, but my uploads don't even register according to the Speedtest meter. I haven't tried to upload yet.
Are these speeds satisfactory?
My medic alarm, as forecast, does not work, but I'm getting one with radio link next month. In the meantime I'm told to carry my cellphone "at all times".

Terry Porritt
24-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Funnily enough my Genius phone went out on Friday morning too for about 3/4 hour.

Although the modem said I still had internet connection it was very poor. Changing Open Dns servers back to Orcon helped a tiny bit.

After many modem reboots and fiddling it all came right, but there was no indication of anything wrong on their network status page.

There is an option somewhere in the modem gui to save your settings to file, this could a useful thing to do if the modem has to be completely reset, including passwords etc

Orcon have remote control over your modem to check and reset things, update firmware etc,

It took a little while for mine to settle down when I first had it, including some fiddling at Orcons end.

Edit: you ought to be getting around 0.8 mbs upload speed.

The Error Guy
24-12-2012, 04:49 PM
For us it took an extra call to orcon to ask to transfer our line from telecom to orcon, after that it was only a matter of hours before the VoIP line was working. Strangely the next day our modem dropped offline, connecting directly to the fibre jackpoint gave us fibre but the genius refused to route traffic. I wont go into technical (not really helping anyone) but it randomly started working again after 4hrs.

10mbps isn't too bad for ADSL, certainly an adequate speed that should be fine for browsing/calls and most youtube/streaming. Try restarting the Genius either by logging onto the genius by typing 10.1.1.1 into your address bar (like a website), logging in (default password is "admin" and selecting restart at the bottom of the page. Alternatively you can just un plug the power, my favourite method :D. Leave it for 30 secs, and plug it back in. Give it 5 mins to sync up and try speedtest again. Could improve.

Alternatively it could be speedtest being goofy, if you say upload something how does that upload go? If it works ok then it could be just speedtest. If not then we can help investigate different issues.

mzee
24-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I wish you all luck with Orcon Genius - you will need it. I struggled with it and Orcon's useless help desk for about 9 months.
Now have VoiP with 2talk over naked Internet and have no hassles.