PDA

View Full Version : Were to get new computer made

Vince
24-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I need a new computer and I don't want to pay for any installed software, except for an Operating System: Windows. I like XP but MS. is trying to drop that so do you think I should get 7 or 8? I haven't seen either but I get the feeling that 8 will be to fancy for my taste.

So, the question is who should I get to make it? and how much is it likely to cost?

PS. I already have a good new monitor and two optical drives.

wratterus
24-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Computerlounge or your good local PC shop. (if they are good). Go for windows 7 on a desktop PC.

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Well XP will no longer be supported mid 2014. And some more recent systems may not work with XP. Some only support Vista +. Depending on the system you build / the mobo you're buying

Slankydudl
24-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Windows 8 can be setup to be the same as windows 7 but it does take some tweaking. Windows 8 does give better performance so if your pc isnt very powerful than windows 8 will probably make the most of it.

pcuser42
24-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Try Windows 8 and if you don't like it, use Windows 7. I would recommended upgrading from Windows XP as soon as possible as software is slowly dropping support for this 11 year old OS.

inphinity
24-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I like XP but MS. is trying to drop that

There is, imo, no valid technical reason to stick with the decade-old XP. It's old, archaic, lacks support for new hardware, and it's mainstream support ended in 2009. if you're going to get a new computer, don't hinder yourself by lumping it with such an outdated operating system.

Paul.Cov
24-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Build it yourself from components.

You'll be that much wiser for the experience, and that much more confident and competent with new hardware in the future.

If you've got any trepidation regarding hardware issues, you'll get all the advice you need right here!

Or failing that, you could contract one of our very helpful techs that are here on a daily basis to build it and install exactly as you specify.

Slankydudl
24-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Yep building your own pc from scratch is a good thing to do, you learn alot nore than just modifying an existing pc. You learn such things as cable management or how to choose a case with a large back panel.

pctek
24-12-2012, 12:14 PM
ComputerLounge.
My opinion is 8 is more of a tablet O/S. XP, nah, too old.

gary67
24-12-2012, 12:17 PM
If your not comfortable doing it yourself then use computerlounge and my preference would be Win7 too

Trev
24-12-2012, 12:23 PM
+1.
:)

bk T
24-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Windows 7.

Forget about Win8.

Vince
24-12-2012, 12:57 PM
you could contract one of our very helpful techs that are here on a daily basis to build it and install exactly as you specify.

I am eager to receive proposals for a middle of the road desktop computer.
No monitor,
Not for gaming
possibly no CD. or DVD. drives.
Quality parts, not cheap and nasty!

SanChippy
24-12-2012, 02:00 PM
It all depends on what you want.

As some have said before W8 derives better performance from whatever hardware your pc will have, but you would still have to think of how cumbersome it can be to use W8 because it incorporates touch, and so you might want to fork out for a touchscreen. I wouldn't recommend this because they can be a tad little expensive (for some of the better ones your looking at $400-$500au).
On the gaming side of things only W8 will have DirectX 11.1 available to it, but there hasn't been a game that I've seen that needs it anyway.

W7 is good, but it might not be on sale for much longer (so too might W8Pro) at brick and mortar stores, and MS isn't selling any copies on their site. W7 is the best OS since XP, and you will have to use it sooner or later because it is very hard to get XP these days...
For all the things that W7 offers, W8 offers it as well, but without "Windows".

linw
24-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Get win8 and stay ahead of the game. I find I run mine in desktop mode and can hardly tell the difference from Win7. It is only a quarter of the cost of Win7 as well.

Slankydudl
24-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Um no, windows 8 and windows 7 are the same price you are probably thinking of the upgrade.

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I know there's Win8, Win8 Pro, and Win8 RT. But is there any diff between what version of Win8 you install?? With Win8 and Win8 Pro?

Because, all the versions I've seen, and the version I installed, didn't need a previous version of windows to install. And it worked / installed fine when I did a clean install. Can you only download the upgrade with the upgrade assistant or something?? Because, I've never seen it. And the version I installed, was a LOT cheaper than Win7 was. And I dont think it was the upgrade

Slankydudl
24-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Odd all the site i look at they are the same at around $160.00

bk T
24-12-2012, 04:41 PM
... it incorporates touch, and so you might want to fork out for a touchscreen. ...

Excellent opportunity to exercise your hands, but make sure that you use both of your hands, not just left or right hand! :D