PDA

View Full Version : ReadingFanatic.exe

KiwiTaff
23-12-2012, 09:39 PM
My wife was looking at a free ebook download page and comodo firewall came up with an alert about the above file and saying it was known malware. I've done a quick Google search and can't find out much about it, and am currently scanning my pc with Malwarebytes, I'm then going to scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Should I be worried about this file? Has anyone heard about it and what's the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks.

gary67
23-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Did you download it? I don't know anything about it but unless it has downloaded itself you are probably ok

KiwiTaff
23-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if she downloaded it or not, Comodo was showinga notice saying that it was known Malware and must be blocked, which I did but then it came up with a message about getting someone from GeekBuddy to remove it or did I want to remove it mysellf.

Agent_24
23-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Some sites exploit browsers in a way that the file will be downloaded by itself. If you told Comodo to remove the file you should be OK. It should be in quarantine now.

They do have a service called Geekbuddy where you can get them to remove viruses via remote support for you, I don't use that feature.

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2012, 08:31 AM
That file maybe a toolbar / an FF addon. Its a chrome addon / extension as well. Its from Mindspark Interactive Network

KiwiTaff
24-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks all, I've scanned with Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and Ad-Aware and all was clear - that should be enough shouldn't it? Anything else I should do to confirm my PC is infection free?

Agent_24
24-12-2012, 05:20 PM
You could try other programs, Spybot: Search and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware come to mind.

You could also try an 'offline' scan with a bootable CD. Format and reinstall your OS if you're really really paranoid.

But Comodo probably already got rid of it, provided you clicked the right thing. Check if it is in your quarantine folder - have you run a full scan with Comodo itself?