PDA

View Full Version : Ye Gods...Facebook.

Poppa John
23-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi All.

Maryann succumbed & joined Facebook at the behest of her grandchildren.

Now our computers are being flooded woth emails from unknown & unwanted messages from half the world. How can I stop this.

I don't see entering them all on Block sender doing any good...there are too many of them!!!!! Thanks. PJ:groan:

wainuitech
23-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Open FB, go to the cog ( top Right) -- (They have changed the layout a few days back) go to notifications on the left and change the mail settings.

See Pic:

OOPS, that arrow head should be pointing to the cog on the right, then click on privacy Settings / Notifications

You can also go into the privacy and change many options there. look for "Who can contact me?"

Make sure you save the settings.

pctek
23-12-2012, 03:24 PM
My grandchildren, or child...would get an explanation of why I'll never be on it and all the nasty details about these hideous places online.
They can phone, email or visit though....or even txt.

Poppa John
31-12-2012, 11:37 AM
W...Should have got back about this before now. Blaming it on second heart attack & new medication regime.

I don't want to get involved with Maryannns Facebook. I just want to stop them at my PC. I have put Facebook in message rules but this does not stop them. I have probably done it wrong. So what's next? PJ

wainuitech
31-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Blimey PJ - dont do things by half do ya :eek: You take care OK.

Anyway, back to FB.

Putting them in the rules really wont do much. I admin a group in FB and I get loads of mails, mostly junk really even though there are some I do read sometimes.

What you can do is install on your Computer something like Mailwasher Free http://www.mailwasher.net/ (http://www.mailwasher.net/) then you can select what mails to come through before they arrive at your computer.

I use mailwasher myself ( the pro version, I have a couple of mail accounts), and while you have to manually tell it what to delete, it reads any available mail at your ISP's server, and only downloads the ones you actually want, The rest it deletes when you tell it to wash mail. On average I'd dump/stop 40 + mails a day, from various places.

plod
31-12-2012, 07:21 PM
In the settings of FB, under notifications you can change it to never receive emails, also change the primary email address to one you no longer use. Ou could try changing it too the address FB gives you. That should keep all notifications within FB

Poppa John
31-12-2012, 07:33 PM
In the settings of FB, under notifications you can change it to never receive emails, also change the primary email address to one you no longer use. Ou could try changing it too the address FB gives you. That should keep all notifications within FB

The Facebook is not mine so I cannot change anything on there. I just want to block all of Facebok from my computer. . PJ

Poppa John
31-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Blimey PJ - dont do things by half do ya :eek: You take care OK.

Anyway, back to FB.

Putting them in the rules really wont do much. I admin a group in FB and I get loads of mails, mostly junk really even though there are some I do read sometimes.

What you can do is install on your Computer something like Mailwasher Free http://www.mailwasher.net/ (http://www.mailwasher.net/) then you can select what mails to come through before they arrive at your computer.

I use mailwasher myself ( the pro version, I have a couple of mail accounts), and while you have to manually tell it what to delete, it reads any available mail at your ISP's server, and only downloads the ones you actually want, The rest it deletes when you tell it to wash mail. On average I'd dump/stop 40 + mails a day, from various places.

Will consider that, tahnks. PJ

8ftmetalhaed
31-12-2012, 10:00 PM
what i do is let a few build up, select all of the senders, then send them to my 'facebook ****' email folder. having ot turn off emails for every single little thing is almost literally impossible. i set emails to off, and yet i regularly empty my **** folder of hundreds and hundreds of emails

bob_doe_nz
01-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Try blocking all email ending with '@facebookmail.com'

I'm not too sure what the email you get from FB end with, so just double check.