PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of Claro search toolbar and Babylon toolbar

delta whiskey
22-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi,

Somewhere I've picked up the Claro search toolbar and the Babylon toolbar. I've "removed" both of them using Revo uninstaller on it's most thorough setting and they no longer appear in my installed program lists. However a scan by Spybot search and destroy still brings up the Babylon toolbar as an infection - unfortunately, even when run as administrator, S & D does not seem able to remove Babylon - it says it has, but it pesky thing still appears on subsequent scans.

As far as Claro goes it comes up as the search toolbar whenever a second tab is opened in either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (my default browser). I can't follow their suggested uninstall steps because Claro doesn't appear in the list of installed programs.

Malware Bytes doesn't find either program.

I suspect that surgery in the registry may be needed, but I have no idea how to proceed there - any help would be gratefully received

Cheers
Dave

Lawrence
22-12-2012, 04:40 PM
This gives a comprehensive guide to get rid of it

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-babylon-toolbar/ See what luck you have otherwise speedy will help you out

kahawai chaser
22-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Claro search invaded Chrome/Firefox/IE browsers after installing an ACC to MP3 converter despite me unchecking their toolbars request during installation. You can reset firefox, and then run malwarebytes full - which picked up references. Also adwcleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/), and I did a quick/minimal scan with spybot. All worked. There are guides online.

Terry Porritt
22-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I got it too when downloading a freeware audio/video converter.

It may also have installed a program called Browser Manager, uninstall that via Revo.
Use Regedit to search registry and remove any references to Babylon and Claro, though that adwcleaner should do that for you.

I found that Spybot detected and removed something connected with Claro, but Malwarebytes didn't, perhaps it wasn't a full scan, but I cant remember the details now.

I also ran Combofix.exe which found Claro entries in the Firefox prefs.js . I edited them out with Notepad.

Then in Firefox go to the small search window at the top of the page and click on the down arrow, then Manage Search engines, and remove any Claro reference from there.

Nick G
22-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Removing babylon toolbar from firefox is pretty easy.
Open firefox
Type 'about:config' into the address bar
Click past the warning it will give you
There will be a search function (not the address bar or the search bar in the browser, but a search bar in the page.
Type 'babylon' into the search function and hit enter - there should be a list on entries the search pulls up
Right click on each one, and then left lick on the 'reset' option.

That should remove babylon from Firefox. Can't help with removing it from ie or chrome though, apart from adding another recommendation for adwcleaner.

delta whiskey
24-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi

Many thanks for the replies - I followed malware bytes' steps for cleaning Firefox and IE Explorer and followed it up with adwcleaner. The latter was a bit of an eyeopener as it found a couple of other items including Browser Manager and a gave me a full A4 page of registry deletions.
It all worked as advertised and I'm a happy chappie once again.

Thanks again to all
Cheers
Dave

gary67
24-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Just ran adwcleaner on my own computer and it even found a couple of things yet I keep it scrupulously scanned and clean

linw
24-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Yea, found a couple of things on mine as well.

Terry Porritt
24-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Just ran adwcleaner on my own computer and it even found a couple of things yet I keep it scrupulously scanned and clean

Ditto. I think that some programs that give the option not to load things like toolbars, do in fact load inactive elements and folders etc and these seem to be found by adwcleaner.

Expat Shield for instance loads a "shield helper" as an addon in FF and it tells you not to disable it as it is important, adwcleaner finds it however. In fact with the latest FF the addon is disabled anyway, and whether it is on of off does not affect Expat Shield, so away with it to the waste bin :)

linw
26-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I think you are right, Terry. Just some pre-loaded detritus (I hope!).