PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 COA?

bk T
22-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Understand that OEM machines preinstalled with Win8 have no COA sticker labels (with product key) anymore - the product key is embeded in the BIOS, if that is true, how do we reinstall the OS if we need to? Am I right to say that no keys are needed to reinstall the OS even not using the recovery partition / recovery DVD? Most end-user don't bother to create their own recovery DVD and most manufacturers don't supply the Windows install DVD. Does it mean that they have to buy a new copy of Win 8?

Anyone here bought any machines with preinstalled Win 8 can confirm the above?

Cheers

Agent_24
22-12-2012, 12:27 PM
If the key is embedded in the BIOS then Windows setup probably reads it from there and you don't have to type anything in.

Or maybe that's too clever...

wainuitech
22-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Agents right -- From what I've read, ( got a few mails from MS about this as well) With OEM computers from the big manufactures, they have the product key in the BIOS, so if you need to reinstall there is no need for a product key. You could put in a new HDD and reinstall Windows 8 and it will pick up the embedded key automatically. Article here - bios-embedded-windows-8-product-keys/ (http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/23/bios-embedded-windows-8-product-keys/)

OEM licences are bound to the original PC, this has ALWAYS been the case, if you buy a OEM edition it is for that ONE PC, and no other, so if the PC dies, the licence dies with it.

If the PC is within its warranty and the motherboard fails, then of course the warranty will cover a new COA as well, or the repairer will have to supply one via MS. If the motherboard dies outside of warranty - its tough luck to the owner I guess.

In the past, the big manufactures have a licence that will allow it to be used on hundreds of PC's, similar type of thing to a volume Licence. I assume its the same thing now.

If you went to a shop and brought OEM, you will get a COA still.

While I haven't tested it yet, I do know if you try to activate a licence thats been used previously it pops up with a Message along the lines of " This licence has already been activated on other hardware" And I cant remember is it gives the option to call MS or Not ( like previous versions did) I found out by mistake when installing a upgrade on a workshop PC, and forgot which key I had used previously on another Workshop PC -- oops.

Agent_24
22-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I assume you could still read the key from registry if you wanted to know it, though I guess it wouldn't be much help if the board died. Unless Microsoft let you transfer it in that situation.

wainuitech
22-12-2012, 04:12 PM
You may be able to read it from the Board with something like keyfinder, But if its the type of key that OEM manufacturers ( HP, Dell etc) use now it wont be of any use. These keys are called OEM SLP System_Locked_Pre-installation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Pre-installation)

While you can install the OS it wont activate, comes back as invalid, if you call MS, they say use the COA on the side of the case - Which may be a bit awkward if there isn't one :)

Its a bit like the product keys that are in the original Windows 7 DVD, they can be used to install but wont activate. windows-server-2008-windows-7-product-keys.htm (http://www.petri.co.il/windows-server-2008-windows-7-product-keys.htm)

CYaBro
23-12-2012, 01:47 AM
You can read the key in the bios with a program called rweverything.
A quick search in google will get it.
I think you go to the acpi tab them msp or something and you'll see it at the bottom.

bk T
23-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Now, I recalled that when I re-installed (made a typo in user name) Win 8 on this machine (I'm using now), I still need the key to complete the installation. :confused:

Maybe it only applies to those branded machines with pre-installed Win8.

Or, only applies to OEM version?

wainuitech
23-12-2012, 03:53 PM
It only applied to the name brand OEM computers, places like Dell, HP etc.

If you buy software you still get the COA.

bk T
24-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Just tried to use Magic Jelly bean to detect my Win 8 Product key but apparently, it got a different key from my actual key from MS.

It's the latest version, 2.095, just downloaded; probably it's not Win8 compatible.

Agent_24
24-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Try the utility CYaBro mentioned and read from BIOS instead?

wainuitech
24-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Just tried to use Magic Jelly bean to detect my Win 8 Product key but apparently, it got a different key from my actual key from MS.

It's the latest version, 2.095, just downloaded; probably it's not Win8 compatible. By Any Chance did you install Windows media Center ?? If you did, the WMC COA over rides the the original COA you will have entered.

To check, I put back an image I made from a upgraded install, then installed WMC-- product key changed from original.

Another key reader I came across just the other day is Ultimate PID Checker -- The The-Ultimate-PID-Checker (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20816-The-Ultimate-PID-Checker) or download page HERE (http://rghost.net/42373519) ( black Download button top Left)

Note:The exe says Pidgen -- BUT it DOES NOT generate a COA - it reads the one on your PC.

bk T
24-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes, I did install WMC and Windows Activation Details showed the WMC key which tallies my WMC key as shown below:

Have you tried the PID checker? I'm a bit reluctant to try it as I don't want to mess up my OS. I don't want to spend hours of my time in re installing and configuring the machine.

wainuitech
24-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Yep, I tried PID Checker on several PC's ranging from W7 & 8.

The W7 shows the Key as it should be, and W8 shows the keys as having media Center installed, heres one in the lounge, with the some "detail" removed for obvious reasons:

Its a standalone, so no need to install it.

FYI : When ever I suggest a program , I have actually tested it myself :) if I haven't then I will say that so as well. :)

Merry xmas

bk T
24-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks, wainu for you reassurance.

How do I use it? After extracting file, I clicked pidgen.exe to launch the program,
what do I fill in the File: box ?

wainuitech
24-12-2012, 10:41 PM
With the program open, make sure its on the first tab - (from Clipboard - by default it is) on the right click on the Windows Symbol - that will get the Product key.

To get more info, click on the Go button - It will scan, take a few seconds and all the information shown in the bigger window.

bk T
24-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I didn't notice the windows symbol, see how silly and dum I am! :o

Yup, the key is my Windows Media Center key. So, if I wish to reinstall Win 8, does it mean that I should use this key rather than the original Win 8 Pro key?

wainuitech
24-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I didn't notice the windows symbol, see how silly and dum I am! :o

Yup, the key is my Windows Media Center key. So, if I wish to reinstall Win 8, does it mean that I should use this key rather than the original Win 8 Pro key? Not silly or dum at all. I had to look as well.

As for reinstalling - while I have not tried it, if it were me I'd put in the original install Key first, then install the Media Center.

Damn you LOL--:p You do realise I'm going to have to try it now ( sometime) LOL - just to see what happens ;)

Seriously though - installing, adding in the Media centre, then making a image is what I would do - that's how all the Workshop PC's are like, I can reinstall any of PC's in around 6-7 minutes.