PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 & WMP desktop short cut

bk T
20-12-2012, 11:06 PM
In Win 8, how do I create a Windows Media Player short cut on my Desktop?

Cheers

pcuser42
20-12-2012, 11:21 PM
From memory you can right-click the icon in Search and create a shortcut there.

bk T
20-12-2012, 11:29 PM
No. it doesn't.

CYaBro
21-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Find Windows Media Player in Search then right-click and choose Open File Location at the bottom of the screen.
Then right-click on the Windows Media Player shortcut in the window that opens and select Send To - Desktop (Create Shortcut)

bk T
21-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks, CYBro. That works. :)

zqwerty
21-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Using Classic Shell: Start/Programs/Windows Accessories/Windows Media Player, Right Click - Send To Desktop (Create ShortCut)

Classic Shell from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Classic_Shell_d7686.html

bk T
21-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Somebody (this forum) was saying that Classic shell has got some problems, not too long ago, has it been fixed? How do you find using it? Any 'undesirable' side-effects?

zqwerty
21-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Seems fine to me, been using it for 4 versions now for both Win 8 and Win 7.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2012, 08:33 AM
3.6.2 of CS used to crash on here (its service after so many reboots / boots). The author made another version of the service . But it made no difference to 3.6.2. It still crashed

But since 3.6.3 has been released, its been fine. Don't ask me why the old version crashed. I have no idea. Dont know if the crashing has been fixed in 3.6.3. Until it decides to crash again (it hasn't YET)

dugimodo
22-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Every time I try to use 8 I get frustrated with how awkward it is and go back to 7.
So far I've pinned most things to the new start screen but I can't say it's growing on me. I like a graphical menu I can navigate with my mouse that organises all my software so I can find the things I don't use often.
None of this push a button and start typing rubbish, is this windows or DOS ? also I have a bad memory for the name of programs I use occasionally.

So yes, right click send to desktop - and pin to start screen while you're at it - windows just becomes a mass of shortcuts and tiles. I never liked a cluttered desktop myself, but MS knows best.....

bk T
22-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I think Win7 is still a much better OS than Win8, if you don't have a touch-screen and, you like 'touching' the screen so much. :D

wainuitech
22-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Been finding out lately esp when I work with both Windows 7 & 8, there's often times I go to do something in Windows 7 and have to remember that it doesn't have the same functions as in the same place as windows 8.

Sometimes windows 7 actually feels old compared to windows 8, W7 actually feels slower doing some tasks.

So far haven't found anything I cant do in windows 8 that is done in W7, just a little different way of doing things.

Then of course when working with XP --- OMG-- talk about feeling so outdated its not funny.

Also I find some customers who haven't advanced on from XP, are really finding it hard to get used to W8 and some are lost on W7 :(

Give it a couple more years and if a person doesn't keep up with the way things are changing they will be completely lost.

Been playing with Server 2012 Essentials - small businesses Server & WHS replacement - But thats another subject :)

bk T
22-12-2012, 11:07 PM
You seem to like Win 8 very much, and I respect your views.

However, I personally don't like Win8, maybe it's becasue of those problems that I experienced from day 1 when I installed this new OS - considering that my PC's hardware is quite new, and yet this new OS doesn't like my PC. Remembered when I upgraded to Win7 from Vista, it was such a smooth transition and has been working great since then. But not the case in upgrading from XP to Vista. It was somehow like Win 8 that I am having now - the only difference is that Win 8 is faster but can't compare it this way because my hardware specs are much better and newer now.

The only reason I bought Win 8 is that it's cheap - only $19.90; seriously, it doesn't live up to my expection, but, hey, it's only <$20.00, what more can I ask for?

Windows 7 is the OS if I want to buy for any new PCs for me!

Well, that's my personal feelings about this new OS. :)

pcuser42
23-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I do find it annoying that Windows 8 cannot manage wireless networks in the way Windows 7 can, but the lack of this feature isn't a deal breaker, especially as the one time I needed it I used the command prompt.

wainuitech
23-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Your views are all good, :) and fair enough as well esp if yu have a bad experience with it. Some do like Windows 8 some dont.

Running my own business I have to be able to use the New OS, its a bit awkward if you go to someones place and dont have a clue as to how to operate the New OS's.

My main PC is still on W7, and I dont intend to change at the moment with that, its running fine as it is. Dont know how many times I've gone to tap the Windows key to open the start menu (w8's) and gone Dhurrrrr its windows 7 dummy ;) Hence the comment earlier I personally find some features easier on W8 as when setting up the start menu on W8, I put in the programs I may use a lot and remove the ones I will hardly or never use.

There are some things I really like about W8, example, when pressing ctrl + Alt+ del, opening the task manager,the display of data is better, in W7 and before, certain things are all over the place.

You dont have to have new high spec hardware either, all the workshop PC's that have W8 and mine in the lounge are low compared to whats available today,they are P4's 3.0 with 3-4 GB RAM, old graphic cards, think the "best" is a nVidia 8500GT ( real grunter) lol the others are FX5700's in fact one has a PCI graphic Card ( not PCI-E) as the Main PCI-E port is knackered.

wainuitech
23-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I do find it annoying that Windows 8 cannot manage wireless networks in the way Windows 7 can, but the lack of this feature isn't a deal breaker, especially as the one time I needed it I used the command prompt. Had that problem last week when trying to remove a wireless network on a customers Laptop, then found http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8 (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8) worked nice. :)

(Scroll down to big blue download File button)

pcuser42
23-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Had that problem last week when trying to remove a wireless network on a customers Laptop, then found http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8 (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8) worked nice. :)

(Scroll down to big blue download File button)

Perfect, thank you :D

bk T
23-12-2012, 01:27 PM
wainu, you are so resourceful, as always. :thumbs:

Merry Christmas!