PDA

View Full Version : Nokia phone clobbers PC keyboard

Tony
20-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Whenever I plug in my Nokia E63 phone to sync it, my Logitech wireless keyboard stops working until I unplug the phone. The Logitech mouse stays OK. WTF? Anyone else experienced this sort of stuff?

The Error Guy
20-12-2012, 06:04 PM
How many USB ports do you have? And are any running off hubs? I had a similar problem with several devices on my old lappy, one was an IR Laser array which was drawing too much current (but not enough to trip the USB warnings or show an error) and the other was a mouse which had a conflicting driver/vendor ID that caused problems.

Try this, turn the phone off and plug it in to see what happens, since it's off the device will only be drawing current to charge, thus we'll only be testing the power problem. If the problem persists? Too much current on the rail or on that particular port/hub. Nothing happens? Driver/Conflicting ID's causing things to go awry. Try a driver update for both devices (might as well do this anyway)

From memory the mouse that stopped working on my laptop only had the problem on one of the USB ports, try swapping the mouse/phone/kb ports if all else fail. I'm not gonna lie, when you said Nokia clobbers keyboard I thought you were looking for repairs because you dropped your nokia on it :D

Tony
20-12-2012, 09:51 PM
After I posted, I realized I had started another thead about this some time ago. See here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?125433-nokia-suite-affects-logitech-wireless-keyboard).

At that time I fixed it by changing to a different USB port on the mobo, so maybe the replacement has gone as well. The two devices were both plugged in the front. I've now moved the keyboard/mouse transmitter to the back, and it seems to have solved the problem, temporarily at least.

I seem to remember having difficulties communicating with the receiver when it was last on the bac k of the PC, so we'll see what happens now.