PDA

View Full Version : Free Internet Security

ianhnz
20-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi guys.

I'm guessing this is not something new, for the experienced ones, but am interested in your comments on Freeware Internet Security Suites?

I have used Comodo, for many, many years and now find our Bank is recommending,ZoneAlarmŽ Free Antivirus + Firewall.

Be interested in your comments as to the effectiveness of both of these suites?
:help:

:thanks

Ian

wratterus
20-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't touch it personally. Use Eset NOD32, if you really have a need for a firewall (most users these days don't need any more than the Windows firewall) then Comodo is fine, or use Eset Smart Security.

:2cents:

ianhnz
20-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm still using XP on 2 computers. Home on 1 and Pro on t'other, so Windows Firewall of little use.

Eset Smart Security is not, as such, a freebee, so best stick with Comodo.

I used Panda, but if you are off line, like with lappy, do firewall, etc.

20-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Just personally, I wouldnt use a suite,especially on older PC's . Just go for 'normal' AV programs. Suites are often just Bloatware.
AV Freebies: MSSE, Avast, Avir . Avast & Avir do have annoying popups to try & get you to buy it.

The problem with corporate recommendations (eg some banks?, some PC Repair Companies ) is that they sometimes have a single product that they are forced to sell/recommend & its not necessarily the best program.
The PC repair company I used to work for forced all the techs to sell a single AV software Brand: it was truly awefull, probably one of the worst available. A friend had the same sort of thing with the company he worked for, forced to sell another sub par AV software

Zone Alarm used to be a bit unreliable, may be a bit better now?? I wouldnd trust their AV , untill proven to do the job.

Eset/NOD32 is good ,not perfect by any means but possibly the best of a bad bunch.

20-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Is the Free Comodo AV any good ??
Have any of the techs here tested it out ?

kjaada
20-12-2012, 12:27 PM
You would be hard pushed to get better than MSSE.
Free and supplied by Microsoft. Who else knows Windows
like they do ????

wainuitech
20-12-2012, 12:35 PM
On some machines MSSE is a bit of a bloat, it does slow them down. If the PC has plenty of power then theres not a problem.

pctek
20-12-2012, 01:31 PM
[FONT=arial] our Bank is recommending,ZoneAlarmŽ Free Antivirus + Firewall.

The bank??!! I'd go with what techs suggest.

My opinion, NOD32, plus at least 2 antispywares and a whole lot of common sense.

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah I'll put my hand up for NOD32 as well.

MSSE is known for slowing down PCs during scans. That's fine and dandy except it has a terrible habit of firing off scans at stupid times. NOD32 has better detection rates too :)
Yeah it's now owned by MS, but originally it wasn't, they purchased some smaller company and made it into "OneCare", then later changed it to MSSE.

ianhnz
20-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Now, re Panda, if you only use the antivirus side, of it, what happens when you have no internet connection and like wise the full Monty with firewall?

Bart 05
20-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Followings are the top 7 firewalls for internet security.
1) Check Point Software technologies FireWall-1.
2) AXENT Technologies Raptor Firewall.
3) CyberGuard Corp. CyberGuard Firewall Release 4.0.
4) Secure Computing Corp. SecureZone.
5) Cisco Systems Cisco PIX Firewall 520.
6) NetScreen Technologies NetScreen-100.
7) NetGuard Guardian 3.0 Firewall for Windows NT.

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Checkpoint ... for like large corporate companies??

ianhnz
20-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Checkpoint ... for like large corporate companies??

Somewhat wordy.

Are u saying not to ask questions, on here?:xmouth:

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Somewhat wordy.

Are u saying not to ask questions, on here?:xmouth:

??? You've lost me ???

wainuitech
20-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Chills statement is clear ( the way I read it anyway) -- in simple English :) -- Some software products are designed for big companies or corporates, meaning you have to buy a multi user licence, say 100's not available a single user, general public usage.

Agent_24
21-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Is the Free Comodo AV any good ??
Have any of the techs here tested it out ?

I use Comodo Internet Security (AV, Firewall and HIPS) and have been happy with it. Defense+ especially when set in paranoid mode is very powerful. Not for the faint of heart though!

AV Detection rate seems good but I haven't made any comparisons. You could do a lot worse.

berryb
22-12-2012, 07:53 PM
So if MSSE slows down PC's what free software would be used? I have removed Avast and AVG from older PC's and installed MSSE with performance improvements.

Also MSSE has failed the virues detection again. I am not worried abaout this as MS will soon fix any issues.

Bart 05
22-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Followings are the top 7 firewalls for internet security.
1) Check Point Software technologies FireWall-1.
2) AXENT Technologies Raptor Firewall.
3) CyberGuard Corp. CyberGuard Firewall Release 4.0.
4) Secure Computing Corp. SecureZone.
5) Cisco Systems Cisco PIX Firewall 520.
6) NetScreen Technologies NetScreen-100.
7) NetGuard Guardian 3.0 Firewall for Windows NT.
Firewalls are big barrier between your internet connection and external threat. Hope my abvoe post really hepl you.
[edit: spam removed]

Tbird650
22-12-2012, 09:49 PM
So if MSSE slows down PC's what free software would be used? I have removed Avast and AVG from older PC's and installed MSSE with performance improvements.

+1 ... I've installed MSE and got rid of others like AVG too and thought there was an improvement in performance. I suppose that all the antivirus programs are getting bigger and bigger every year to handle the onslaught of new viruses. These viruses are written by experts after all. Older underpowered computers will suffer more and more.

gary67
22-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I run MSSE on 5 computers none of which are overly grunty, ones a netbook, two are dual core duo's, ones an old P4 and the last is a quad core AMD none are running slow either but I do have them set to scan when idle only

Greven
22-12-2012, 11:31 PM
MSSE has some weird issues - on some older computers it runs fine, and on others it runs like a lame dog. It always works fine on newer computers.

Tbird650
23-12-2012, 12:31 AM
What a pain MSE was installing on a friends' dial up PC. The program itself installed fine but the update took so long I had to leave.

Greven
23-12-2012, 12:25 PM
What a pain MSE was installing on a friends' dial up PC. The program itself installed fine but the update took so long I had to leave.
The updates are no worse than AVG etc. Friends don't let friends use dialup

Agent_24
23-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Friends don't let friends use dialup

Some people have no choice though

SanChippy
24-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Never listen to your Bank...

Renegade
24-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Ah, been there. Always take the latest definitions on your flash drive and do the initial update manually http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606