PDA

View Full Version : Problems converting a new Notebook from W8 to W7.

mzee
20-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Recently I needed a new laptop for my web-work. I wanted Windows 7, but could only find Windows 8. I bought an Acer Aspire E1 which has all the grunt I need, and at a very good price, and a very good screen. After several hours trying to get my head around Windows 8, and also having compatibility problems with some vintage software, I decided to install Windows 7 Professional. I wanted to split the 500G drive into 3 partitions, and the first indication of trouble was not being able to make an extended partition, ended up with 3 primary's. When I tried to install W7 I got the message "can not install Windows on this drive as it is protected" or words to that effect! Took 12 hours with Acronis to wipe the drive (overwrites with 0's in 4 passes). After that no problems. So be warned, if the salesperson says "just install Windows 7 if you already have it", take it with a grain of salt!

wainuitech
20-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Why not just Partition software and blow away the partitions ? Theres a few about that work on anything, never seen one yet that cant be wiped -- Sure you get warnings sometimes, but theres always ways. Sometime Acronis is good other times its useless, that's why I have at least 4 different bootable CD's with different partition software.

Just had one this morning -- Acronis and AOMEI wouldn't even see the drive, yet another one I have booted fine, wiped out the partition and is now reinstalling.

wainuitech
20-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Think I just found your Problem -- Acronis Doesn't support windows 8 Yet apart from a few other programs, the partitioning software is not supported according to the following list Current list & Supported (http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033)

So the "guy at the shop" may actually be right if using the correct software :)

pcuser42
20-12-2012, 11:37 AM
having compatibility problems with some vintage software

I suspect this may be 16-bit software on 64-bit Windows, which will never work. (Of course, this is a guess...)

mzee
20-12-2012, 07:10 PM
You are right! My Acronis is not compatible with W8. My Data Base is DOS, via DOS Box.
I did the format and partitioning with G partedit (Puppy Linux). All is well now, very nice computer.