PDA

View Full Version : Free Promo Media Center for Win8

bk T
20-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered for the above promo for a mate's 2 children 3 days ago but still waiting for the keys.

Has MS stopped giving out those keys? It clearly says that they will send out within 72 hrs, though.

Should I try to register again?

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2012, 08:29 AM
You can only register with one email I think. Some people have been waiting for up to 5 days +. So, I would wait

bk T
20-12-2012, 08:42 AM
I was using my mate's email address -

X'mas holiday delays. :D - understandable.

The Error Guy
20-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Mine took forever to arrive

wainuitech
20-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Nuttin to do with Xmas, just registered for a customers PC I have here -- it came through within a few minutes.

Edited: just did another as a test took a few minutes as well, BK T - if you get stuck just holler and I'll PM you the key - its free after all :)

Lawrence
20-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Got mine a week ago,48 hours wait,don't know yet whether it will get used but got it just in case

linw
21-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Nuttin to do with Xmas, just registered for a customers PC I have here -- it came through within a few minutes.

Edited: just did another as a test took a few minutes as well, BK T - if you get stuck just holler and I'll PM you the key - its free after all :)

Don't try to share that key as it overrides the W8 key. If you use the same key as someone else you will have duplicate W8 keys. I speak from experience!

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah technically you can use a non-legit Win8 key, and override it with the free Media Center one and suddenly windows thinks it's legit :p

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah technically you can use a non-legit Win8 key, and override it with the free Media Center one and suddenly windows thinks it's legit :p

You could but MS have closed this loophole now. If you try now you'll get a 0xC004C4AA error

wainuitech
21-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't try to share that key as it overrides the W8 key. If you use the same key as someone else you will have duplicate W8 keys. I speak from experience! Who said anything about sharing a key ? They are all legit, and all different keys.

When entering your email address as long as you dont put in one previously used its fine. My email domain has a catch all on it meaning I can put in what ever I want in front of the @ and it will come through.

So far I have used my own domain email ( kind of) at least 8 times, for customers who wanted The media center, I would use a different address, eg customer1 @ mycompanyname then customer2 @ mycompanyname and so on, and those keys go to who ever the customer is.

linw
21-12-2012, 02:17 PM
In my case, I had bought two W8's and installed them on two machines. I got a WMC key, and, to save the few days delay for another key, I used the first one again on the second machine. Then I got messages about duplicate keys!

No sneakiness - all legit! Just didn't understand what was going to happen.

bk T
21-12-2012, 06:15 PM
The MC key has finally arrived. :)

cowboy stu
21-12-2012, 06:49 PM
mine just arrived in an instant