PDA

View Full Version : We think our court system is bad!

Cicero
19-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Subject: Fwd: FW: STELLA AWARDS

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico , where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy.

Here are the Stellas for this past year --

*SEVENTH PLACE*

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son

Start scratching!

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Scratch some more...

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish Keep scratching. There are more...

Double hand scratching after this one..

*FOURTH PLACE*

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

Pick a new spot to scratch, you're getting a bald spot..

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

Only two more so ease up on the scratching...

*SECOND PLACE*

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

Ok. Here we go!!

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?
$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.
If you think the court system is out of control, be sure to pass this one on.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7814 (20121218) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Zara Baxter
19-12-2012, 04:38 PM
It would possibly help your cause to not use fake cases.

The only real one there is the case of Stella Liebeck, and her suit was entirely justified - you have several facts wrong. she wasn't driving, the car wasn't even moving, and she got third degree burns requiring skin grafts. It was one of *700* cases of injury, including other cases of third degree burns, from MacDonalds coffee, which was being served too hot.

See http://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

As Snopes helpfully points out, there are plenty of real silly cases.

We could always move this to the jokes thread :-)

DeSade
19-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I laughed

Gobe1
19-12-2012, 04:43 PM
^ ditto

lordnoddy
19-12-2012, 04:44 PM
It would possibly help your cause to not use fake cases.

Ouch, I think it is Cic that needs water for his Burn! - Pun intended. :D

Richard
19-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Tough luck Cic. It was a good try.

WalOne
19-12-2012, 04:54 PM
We could always move this to the jokes thread :-)

:thumbs:

Terry Porritt
19-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Why oh why does Cic keep doing this sort of thing, when with a bit of Google he would know it is all crap ?

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?115627-I-have-to-agree-lets-hope-Key-does

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?119577-For-Reg-lovers

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?121643-I-am-76-and-I-am-tired

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?121824-Something-rotten-in-the-state-of-Denmark

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?127733-Things-can-sneak-up.-Islam

Maybe it is the world as he would like it to be :thumbs:

Paul.Cov
19-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I didn't laugh. I sank with dispair.

Even if most are fakes, lets not forget that ACC in NZ piad a prisoner handsomly for the injury he sustained while escaping prison.

What's even more scandalous than the payout is the fact that it was ever even considered. He should have got a kick in the butt and sent back to his cell.

We taxpayers really must be mugs to continue to put up with this nonsense at our own expense.

Cicero
19-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Even if most are fakes, lets not forget that ACC in NZ piad a prisoner handsomly for the injury he sustained while escaping prison.

What's even more scandalous than the payout is the fact that it was ever even considered. He should have got a kick in the butt and sent back to his cell.

We taxpayers really must be mugs to continue to put up with this nonsense at our own expense.
\
You have got into the spirit of this Paul, good to see one with some sensitivity.

These people are so literal, so lacking in artistic , what's the word?

prefect
19-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Its bs
http://www.jerebeasleyreport.com/2008/01/the-lawsuit-myth-put-out-by-the-tort-reformers-must-be-exposed/

Cicero
19-12-2012, 08:12 PM
License was the word.

mikebartnz
19-12-2012, 11:54 PM
, from MacDonalds coffee, which was being served too hot.
Come on cut the crap how the hell can you sell a coffee too hot as water only boils at one temperature at sea level.

mikebartnz
19-12-2012, 11:58 PM
(in the USA of course) There was a case a number of years ago where this guy chose to sit outside at a restaurant and got stung by a bee. The restaurant owner got sued and had to pay a ridiculous sum which I can't remember now so I can believe each and everyone of those.

mikebartnz
20-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Got $18,300 if I remember correctly and six months later I got a kick in the knee from a cattle beast and got the grand total of $70 for the month and a half I was off work.

Zara Baxter
20-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Come on cut the crap how the hell can you sell a coffee too hot as water only boils at one temperature at sea level.

That would be fine if they just used boiled water for coffee, a la espresso or instant. That produces coffee around 60-70C. They didn't. They drip filtered it and held it at a high temperature.

Did you read the link I posted? If you did, you would see that Macdonalds were at the time holding their coffee at 180-190F. That works out to 82-87C. At that temperature, 3rd degree burns happen much more rapidly - http://www.accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.html

Zara Baxter
20-12-2012, 09:10 AM
(in the USA of course) There was a case a number of years ago where this guy chose to sit outside at a restaurant and got stung by a bee. The restaurant owner got sued and had to pay a ridiculous sum which I can't remember now so I can believe each and everyone of those.

It's not like it takes more than a few seconds to look up. http://classweb.gmu.edu/jkozlows/lawarts/10OCT90.pdf

The man was made a quadriplegic from the accident, and while the lower court found for him, the appeals court overturned it. So the restaurant was *not* liable (though it might have been if there was a swarm of bees demonstrating that they had not taken due care to remove dangerous insects from their shrubbery/grounds).

I can understand that when something supports your worldview, that you would be more credulous. We all are. It really does pay to do your research though.

kenj
20-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Hang on there Mike... In NZ water boils at 100...in the US of A, it boils at 212

PS keep them coming Cicero. They may have the truth stretched a bit but are still good reading. And wholly believable when you know it is the whacko Yanks you are quoting. Makes the day pass with a smile.

Ken:D

Zara Baxter
20-12-2012, 10:26 AM
PS keep them coming Cicero. They may have the truth stretched a bit but are still good reading. And wholly believable when you know it is the whacko Yanks you are quoting. Makes the day pass with a smile.
Ken:D

Hmm. I dunno. I'd much rather have the truth than a comforting lie.

lordnoddy
20-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Early one morning, late one night,
2 dead boys got up to fight,
Back to back, they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot one another,
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
Came and got those two dead boys,
If you don't believe this lie is true,
Ask the Blind man, he saw it too!

kenj
20-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Hmm. I dunno. I'd much rather have the truth than a comforting lie.

At my age Zara, one doesn't take anything to seriously. A laugh is more important. :clap

Zara Baxter
20-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure I can have both, Kenj, especially when jokes are marked as jokes and not the truth. :-)

Cicero
20-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure I can have both, Kenj, especially when jokes are marked as jokes and not the truth. :-)

And we can be sure you are right.

Zara Baxter
21-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Do you have a reference for that ACC thing, because the ACC site says:

"Disentitlement during imprisonment
While someone is imprisoned they are only entitled to rehabilitation and treatment for their injury and are not entitled to any other form of compensation from ACC. Any periodic ACC payments cease for the period of imprisonment, and there is no eligibility for back payment.
When a person is released from prison they can apply for lump sum payments for injuries incurred before or during their sentence."

I've googled, but can't even find a name for this prisoner, and most links are opinion. It seems dubious, but maybe this is something all Kiwis know about and can provide the relevant details?

It seems as though, if it's true, it's since been altered so that it's no longer possible, so I'm not sure how it makes your argument.

R2x1
21-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Given the frequency with which ACC fail to do things the rules say they should, it is only fair and consistent they should do things they are not supposed to. ;)

zqwerty
21-12-2012, 08:34 AM
It's as if this episode, (ACC payout for prisoner injured escaping by falling from a wall) which I recall as well, has been expunged from the web???!!!

Zara Baxter
21-12-2012, 08:41 AM
It's odd, isn't it zqwerty? I might do a bit more of a delve later. I hate unsolved mysteries. And I love doing pointless research. And I knock off at noon. :D

kenj
21-12-2012, 08:56 AM

"Disentitlement during imprisonment
While someone is imprisoned they are only entitled to rehabilitation and treatment for their injury and are not entitled to any other form of compensation from ACC. Any periodic ACC payments cease for the period of imprisonment, and there is no eligibility for back payment.
When a person is released from prison they can apply for lump sum payments for injuries incurred before or during their sentence."

I've googled, but can't even find a name for this prisoner, and most links are opinion. It seems dubious, but maybe this is something all Kiwis know about and can provide the relevant details?

It seems as though, if it's true, it's since been altered so that it's no longer possible, so I'm not sure how it makes your argument.

I also cannot find reference to the case, only this...

Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Compensation Amendment Bill 2009 (now known as the Accident Compensation Amendment Act 2010)

part of is this... Strengthening disentitlement for criminals injured while committing a crime for which they are imprisoned

Provides for automatic disentitlement if a claim meets specific criteria (eg the person was injured while committing the crime for which s/he was imprisoned, and the crime committed carries a maximum sentence of imprisonment for two years or more, the claim has ACC cover).
Clients who meet criteria will be entitled only to treatment, and their entitlement to surgery will be limited to that which is necessary to restore function to allow them to return to work.
Provides that the Minister for ACC may exercise his/her discretion in exceptional circumstances.
Comes into effect from 1July2010 for all personal injuries which occur after that date (ie existing entitlements will not be affected).

I do remember the case which caused a public outcry where a criminal injured himself while escaping from prison. I cannot find reference to it on Google but am sure it actually happened. My memory hasn't gone completely yet, so someone with better search skills may find some public record of this.

Ken

lordnoddy
21-12-2012, 08:57 AM
It's odd, isn't it zqwerty? I might do a bit more of a delve later. I hate unsolved mysteries. And I love doing pointless research. And I knock off at noon. :D

Lucky you!!! I knock off at 5 for 2 weeks =D Can't wait!

Good old ACC... their rules/policies are rather silly... IMO

Digby
21-12-2012, 09:00 AM
What about Mexico?

I just read that their police officers get $1.70 an hour! (US)

And that is for taking on some of the toughest gangs in the world.

And they keep saying that we have low wages!

Nick G
21-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Well, the most I could find is http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/109824-ACC-to-no-longer-be-available-to-crims-who-injure-themselves-committing-crimes?. Assuming that is correct, ACC could have paid crims in the past. I'd expect an organisation with ACC's level of competence to have at least maid one controversial payment to a crim in the past. I can't find anything anything on the net about past payment to crims though, which makes me think they've removed any record of it.

kenj
21-12-2012, 09:08 AM
:rolleyes: Couple of interesting accidents in that thread Nick :D

Ken

Cicero
21-12-2012, 09:13 AM
What about Mexico?

I just read that their police officers get $1.70 an hour! (US)

And that is for taking on some of the toughest gangs in the world.

And they keep saying that we have low wages!

50 cents in Thailand, all a question fo relativity.

Nick G
21-12-2012, 09:24 AM
:rolleyes: Couple of interesting accidents in that thread Nick :D

Ken
Yea ;)
Best I could find though

kenj
21-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Yea ;)
Best I could find though

Hope it wasn't you they were referring to in relation th the Vacuum cleaner :devil

Ken

Digby
21-12-2012, 10:32 AM
50 cents in Thailand, all a question of relativity.

Don't you also have to compare the quality of their women?

lordnoddy
21-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Digby, it's Thailand... I don't think much of what you see are actually women =\

Cicero
21-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Most seem to have nice figures ?

lordnoddy
21-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Most seem to have nice figures ?

Again... Cic see my post above yours... :D

Cicero
21-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Again... Cic see my post above yours... :D

Having spent months there, I can tell you are plenty with the right bits.:)

prefect
21-12-2012, 05:01 PM
The chicks over there are beautiful and thin and are demons in the sack.

mikebartnz
22-12-2012, 09:17 PM
It's not like it takes more than a few seconds to look up. http://classweb.gmu.edu/jkozlows/lawarts/10OCT90.pdf
That's a bit pathetic.
So it was overturned at an appeals court which I didn't know about but the point is that it had to go to appeal.

mikebartnz
22-12-2012, 09:20 PM
It occured in either 81 or 82 and not sure if it was before or after that case but a prisoners mate injected a guy in the arm with drugs and ended up getting his arm amputated and he got around $21,000.