PDA

View Full Version : Computer will not switch off

IanS
19-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Win XP uptodate with Firefox
Computer will not switch off by any of the normal methods. It will go into 'STANDBY' mode but 'RESTART' does not work. The only clues are 'GDI+Window' has appeared next to START and cannot be eliminated
and Internet Explorer does not open but I normally use Firefox which works normally. All other functions appear normal. Any help will be much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Do you use Visual Studio??

IanS
19-12-2012, 04:35 PM
No I do not use 'Visual Studio. IanS

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Since you say XP is up to date I take it SP3 has been installed?? Are there any Symantec programs on this?? Did you install a video driver recently??

IanS
19-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Hi Speedy, yes SP3 is installed, there are no Symantec programs and no new video drivers have been installed.
The main clue seems to be 'GDI+Window' next to START. I have no idea what that means and I cannot find any way of eliminating it. IanS

IanS
19-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Problem solved. At first Ctrl-Alt-Delete did not show anything and 'Search' could not find 'GDI+Window' but after a lot of random clicking on GDI+Window [next to START] it showed up with 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' and a click on 'End Task' got rid of it. It is a mystery how it got there. Thanks to Speedy and a Merry Christmas to all. IanS

lakewoodlady
19-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Random findings sometimes work when all else fails, lol! Happy Christmas to you too!

LL

PPp
19-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Check your startups and installed programs. It may still be on your computer, as the Task Manager shows whats running, and ending the process does not stop it from being installed, or even running again, if its set up that way.

IanS
20-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Check your startups and installed programs. It may still be on your computer, as the Task Manager shows whats running, and ending the process does not stop it from being installed, or even running again, if its set up that way.

Thanks PPp for your comment, I cannot find any sign of 'GDI+Windows' on the computer, it is rather a mystery but the main thing is that it has disappeared. IanS

PPp
20-12-2012, 06:09 PM
GDI is a seperate MS graphics program, so look in the add or remove programs in the Control Panel. CCleaner has a startup control section under Tools. come to think of it, it also has a program uninstall section too. You'll be able to do it all in one hit.