PDA

View Full Version : Winamp ripping CD failed

bk T
19-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I tried to rip an old CD to my PC but failed at the last title. Tried 3 times with same results.

WinAmp ver 5.623.
Win 8 Pro

Anyone here successfully ripped a music CD with WinAmp?

Cheers

feersumendjinn
19-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Old cd? How old?

They can suffer from disk rot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot), the aluminium layer can degrade to the point where it gets holes in it, hold it in front of a bright light, chances are there will be, especially at the outer edges (the last track).

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah heaps, loved Winamp back in the day. What's the disc? It's probably got some anti-copying stuff...

Paul.Cov
19-12-2012, 06:56 AM
CDEX used to work for me (CD EXtractor).

Using an older, slower drive might also give some advantage.
From memory I think CDEX lets you choose the max read speed... the slower speed allowing more opportunity to beat a bad read.

Haven't used it in years. What's a CD anyway?

gary67
19-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Use exact audio copy with the FLAC plugin works excellently and gives you the option to save as FLAC instead of MPrubbish. And its free

bk T
19-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Old cd? How old?

They can suffer from disk rot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot), the aluminium layer can degrade to the point where it gets holes in it, hold it in front of a bright light, chances are there will be, especially at the outer edges (the last track).

Bought it in 1984. Playback is still perfect.

dugimodo
19-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Try windows media player, seeing as you will already have it and it's actually a pretty good ripper. Just turn off DRM and set it to MP3 at your preferred bitrate and you should be fine.

1984 predates all the CD copy protection schemes on audio CDs I think so it's probably not that.
Myself I like DBpoweramp, I even paid for it. For occasional use though media player is fine.

zqwerty
19-12-2012, 10:18 AM
This is very good:

http://www.poikosoft.com/download.html

the_bogan
19-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I've been using Winamp (latest free version) to rip CDs, no problems.

bk T
19-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Windows Media Player works OK and have ripped it successfully. :)

Don't understand why Winamp doesn't work? I've downloaded and installed the latest free version but still doesn't work.

I prefer winamp than WMP, for no reasons, that's why didn't try it earlier on.

bk T
19-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Just tried to rip a much newer CD with Winamp, without luck; pop up the following error:

"Winamp has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution.
-> Check Online for a solution and close the program.
-> Close the program. "

Looks like it's another compatibility issue with this 'cheap' version of Windows OS (Win8). :D

gary67
19-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Why not try exact audio copy that I mentioned in a previous post works really well on WIn7

wainuitech
19-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Just tried to rip a much newer CD with Winamp, without luck; pop up the following error:

"Winamp has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution.
-> Check Online for a solution and close the program.
-> Close the program. "

Looks like it's another compatibility issue with this 'cheap' version of Windows OS (Win8). :D Maybe if you used a program that actually works the "cheap" OS wouldn't be so much trouble. ;)

A lot of problems occur when people don't know how to use the OS, or try to use outdated programs that are not compatible.

Why not use the inbuilt WMP to rip the CD's - it works perfectly Fine, and once learnt its child's play.

Open WMP, put in a Music CD - right click in the CD title bar (Once only task- this is to bring up options) click Show Menu Bar - you can then go into the ripping options ( tools/Options/ Ripping Music) and change them to suit, then save, simply click Rip CD, and away It goes.

Its quick as well, just ripped a 23 track CD @256Kbps in the time it took to write this.

bk T
19-12-2012, 10:06 PM
As in my post #10, I've ripped the CD with WMP successfully. As also mentioned that I prefer to use Winamp for no specific reasons.

wainuitech
19-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Missed that post / comment - sorry about that.

While we all have a fav program, personally, if one doesn't work for what ever reason and there's another that does the same job and does, Know which I'd use :)

Cant really go blaming a New OS because an existing program has yet to be changed to keep up. Been doing a bit of reading and it appears many people are having different problems with Winamp/W8.

Theres several programs about that are not meant to be compatible with W8, yet work fine.

Agent_24
20-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Bought it in 1984. Playback is still perfect.

1984 is getting a bit old now - almost 30 years! Are there any pin holes?

"Perfect" playback means nothing, during playback errors are usually skipped over and replaced with silence, since the damage is so small you notice nothing.

Most CD ripping programs want to ensure an exact copy, so when they do hit a damaged patch, problems happen. Windows Media Player may well just skip over the error also.

Personally I use EAC and FLAC. You may also want to try another drive

bk T
21-12-2012, 12:00 AM
It is old - it's something like the first generation CD and I paid for (from memory) around Singapore $60.00 for it! Just for your info, I still have the complete set of sound system in good condition, except the pair of speakers which were stolen in 1990!

I've tried the other optical drive (I've 2 DVD drives in my PC) with the same results.

bk T
21-12-2012, 12:18 AM
... Are there any pin holes?

What pin holes??? No, don't see any.

wainuitech
21-12-2012, 08:05 AM
CD's can degrade after a while. I got a few that wont read anymore yet look perfectly fine. If they are kept out of the light they do last longer.

zqwerty
21-12-2012, 08:21 AM
VLC has a new record function, you could try that while playing the CD in VLC.

Agent_24
21-12-2012, 10:11 AM
What pin holes??? No, don't see any.

Disc "rot", as feersumendjinn said. Shows up as little pin-holes of light coming through the disc if you hold it up to a bright light. Small ones won't make any noticeable difference to playback. With a disc as old as that, it's not unusual to see them.

Depends on the manufacturer and how you've stored it too, though.