PDA

View Full Version : Went to 2talk VDSL2 -- Initial thoughts

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Just thought I'd pass this on for those interested who don't also have me on G+

In a nutshell, problems with Orcon ADSL2+, and after it continuing for roughly 6-7 weeks (Started to lose count), multiple formal complaints, and lodging the issue with TDR, I decided enough was enough and to ditch them.

2talk VDSL2 looked like a good option, have an account with them already so went for their 300GB plan:
http://www.2talk.co.nz/access/

Got myself the Draytek DV2750 earlier in the week, hooked it up, and went live last night!

You can see here they offer some nifty info about your connection, alongside the traditional "You've used X": 4596
Data to 2talks VoIP servers doesn't count

Best of all they allow you to do a few speed tests to their servers then reserve X percentage of your connection PURELY for VoIP. I've opted not to.

So far I'm syncing at 24mbps, attaining over 2.5MB/sec in terms of actual throughput consistently.
Upload syncing at just shy of 10mbps, but actually attain roughly 5.5mbps (Same as what I was on HD back in the day so presuming it's a limitation of the local cabinet).
However I'm getting those speeds consistently, everywhere, and I'm thrilled with it!

Naturally being 2talk it's damn near impossible to actually *talk* to anybody on the phone, however if their service is anything at all like their SIP platform then there's bugger all need to actually ring them.

Watch this space, ask me again how I feel in 6 months.

But yeah look at that pricing, it's pretty damn competitive!
Prepaid of course, like all their other stuff. Still, if you have somebody who's knowledgeable (VDSL2 isn't that hard to hook up anyways with the Draytek DV2750's) then it's an attractive solution, specifically for small business and things looking at VoIP / sharing a connection / something faster than ADSL.

If you've got any questions, fire away, as the product is in a "soft launch" state I know a lot of people haven't yet signed up but in real-life I've had a lot of people very interested in it!

The Error Guy
18-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Just got our fibre hooked up today, syncing at around 28mbps with 9 up, I'll probably get 2talk VDSL when I'm living in welly (Massey Uni flats) since I doubt they'll have fibre. $125 a month for 300gb VDSL isn't shabby, your speeds seem good too. We are in town so we might get a better sync rate being closer to the cabinet. Not sure though, just our luck we'll be just past the 900m limit and only be able to get 8 mbps ADSL :p

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah only thing is there's the price of your "2talk VoIP account" on top of that, which is like $10 for personal or $35 for business plans.

The Error Guy
18-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think as students anyone would want a landline/VoIP, or is the VoIP acct part of the package? If just add $10 the the $125 and not use it I guess. Probably better if we all just manage our cell phones rather than clock up a phone bill too.

mzee
18-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I have 2talk VoiP, and HD connect Nude Broadband. I didn't realize that 2talk provide Broadband as well. Is this recent?

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Yeah it is recent, technically it's a "soft launch".

Most students probably wouldn't need it (It doesn't have to be registered / used), Cellphone is fine, but if you have to throw on $10 a month for VDSL, then it's still pretty decent!